Animal lovers in Solva have been warned to take extra care after nine much-loved family pets, all living on the same street, have seemingly been poisoned.
Local resident Sarran Blything’s dog and cat died within days of each other last December, in mid June she lost another cat. Post mortems on two of the animals attributed the cause of death to poisoning, possibly by anti freeze.
Mrs Blything said that six other cats in Bro Dawel had also died in similar circumstances.
“We want to put a warning out,” she said. “It is so horrible to watch an animal suffering in this way. The poison destroys them from the inside.
She added that the owners whose pets exhibit these symptoms of poisoning, which include wobbly back legs, dilated pupils, laboured breathing, lethargy and seizures, should take them to a vet straight away.
She urged any pet owners whose animals had died in this way to report it to the RSPCA and Natural resources Wales.
“The more animals that are reported the more chance we have of getting a finding,” she added.
“I’m 99% sure it’s poison being put down. We just want to put a stop to this so there are no more deaths.”
Natural Resources Wales said they had visited the Bro Dawel area following a report from Mrs Blything but could find no pollutants from fly-tipping or any other source.
The police and the RSPCA are jointly investigating the situation.
An RSPCA spokesman said the charity was "extremely concerned".
"These animals have suffered horrendously and we desperately need to hear from anyone who has information about these incidents," she added.
Anyone with any information should contact the police on 101 or RSPCA inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018.