Visitors urged to keep away from Withybush Hospital as diarrhoea and vomiting closes wards
3:29pm Monday 29th October 2012 in News
Withybush Hospital is urging people not to visit loved ones at the hospital, due to a “high incidence” of diarrhoea and vomiting.
Several wards have closed since the outbreak, which includes some cases of Norovirus, was first reported last Wednesday.
Ward seven, the acute coronary unit (previously ward eight) are both closed to admissions as well as a number of side wards.
Hospital staff are trying to prevent further areas becoming affected and are restricting visitors to all wards.
The virus is easily spread and very incapacitating for those who are already in hospital. Visitors may not realise that they already have the virus as they initially have no symptoms.
“We are strongly advising people not to visit the hospital as this in the best interests of all patients and the staff caring for them,” said a spokesman.
“Family members wanting to know how a loved one is can call the ward and receive an update over the phone.”
The spokesman said that most people will make a full recovery from diarrhoea and vomiting within a couple of days.
There is no specific treatment but the illness is not generally dangerous and there are usually no long-lasting effects.
However there is a risk of dehydration and it is important that people have plenty to drink and, if needed, paracetamol for any fever or aches and pains.
To reduce the risk of passing it onto others, wash your hands regularly and stay at home until you are clear of symptoms for 48 hours.
Comments are closed on this article.