Council must save millions in next three years
4:50pm Saturday 26th January 2013 in News
How can Pembrokeshire County Council save £1.6m this year and £8.6m over the next three years?
That was the question put to members of the economy and scrutiny committee last week who were asked to come up with suggestions of where the required savings could be made.
Director of finance and leisure Mark Lewis ran through the capital and revenue programme for 2012/13 to 2014/15, with specific reference to the committee’s remit, including highways and transportation, culture and related, planning and development, and environmental.
Mr Lewis said: “In essence we are back to choices: what’s essential and what’s desirable?”
Councillor Michael John asked whether savings could be made with tourist guides and information centres.
Mr Lewis said: “These are the issues you need to start getting comfortable with. The way of rolling things forward as we have been doing is now very much up for discussion.”
Mr Lewis said the debate over whether the cost reduction plan would involve boosting income or reducing costs was still “on the table”.
Open seminars are due to take place for members to discuss cost reductions.