Family saved by smoke alarm
2:40pm Monday 11th March 2013 in News
A family has been saved after a smoke alarm alerted them to a roof fire in their property.
Fire crews from Newcastle Emlyn, Crymych and Cardigan attended the fire at Capel Iwan early on Saturday morning.
On arrival, the roof was well-alight and was tackled using two sets of breathing apparatus and one main jet.
A working smoke alarm woke the occupants, including a five-year-old girl who was sleeping in the loft, and allowed them to get out of the building safely.
“If this alarm had not operated, I am convinced that we would now be dealing with a tragedy,” said watch manager Emyr Jones.
“This incident really goes to show how vital a working smoke alarm can be in saving lives. If you haven’t got one, please get one today.”
Station manager Simon Pearson commended the fire crews for their “fantastic work” in stopping the fire spreading and quickly reaching such a remote location.
For a free home fire safety check, including the fitting of free smoke alarms, call 0800 169 1234.