Safety message after Pembroke Dock fire
2:02pm Saturday 31st August 2013 in News
MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to take extra care when cooking following a kitchen fire at a property in Pembroke Dock last Tuesday (August 27).
Crews from Pembroke Dock were called a residential property at around 19:30. On arrival, crews found that the fire was caused by a chip pan.
Crews used breathing apparatus to enter the property with a hose reel jet. Fortunately the fire was confined to the chip pan, but one man required treatment for smoke inhalation.
Pembrokeshire Command Community Safety Department watch manager Jeremy Trew said: “The family were very lucky that the fire was quickly identified and did not spread to the rest of the property or cause significant injury.
“Fortunately, the house had working smoke alarms and we would urge everyone to make sure that smoke alarms are fitted and regularly tested”.
To request a Home Fire Safety Check for yourself or a vulnerable person you know contact the Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 169 1234 or visit http://www.freesmokealarm.co.uk/
There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen. Make sure you don't get distracted when you are cooking, and:
• Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, for example by a phone call;
• Take care if you're wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily;
• Don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration.