Family loses everything in Haverfordwest house fire
1:52pm Wednesday 9th October 2013 in News
FIRE DAMAGE: The Wilkinsons' home at South Court, Haverfordwest has been destroyed by fire. PICTURE: Western Telegraph (1383315)
A FAMILY of five in Haverfordwest ‘lost everything’ when a fire took hold in their living room on Tuesday evening (October 8).
Firefighters were called to Hannah and Damian Wilkinson’s home at South Court at around 5.20pm to find the house well alight.
Damian, known as Nipper, said: “It was literally seconds. I can’t describe how fast that front room went up. I got a hose pipe and buckets of water on it but it did nothing, it just went up.
“The entire front room is gutted, there’s nothing left. It even burnt the plaster off the walls.”
The fire destroyed the room and the heat and smoke caused significant damage to the rest of the house, leaving the couple and their children Callum Peachment, 5, Lily-May Peachment, 3, and Shaun Wilkinson, 2, with nothing.
An appeal on social networking sites for clothes and toys has already seen a good response as kind hearted people donate what they can to help the family in such a difficult situation.
But what cannot be replaced are the family’s photographs including their wedding pictures and lots of the children growing up.
“They are irreplaceable, there are no copies of them. So much has been lost that is irreplaceable but the main thing we can say is that everyone is safe. We also got all the animals out – two dogs, five turtles and two scorpions,” said Nipper.
Hannah added: “It’s overwhelming. The fire service was here in minutes, we can’t fault them.”
One eyewitness, Stephen Hughes, said it was a dramatic scene.
“It escalated in a matter of minutes, it was quite frightening how fast it happened. I could see a man throwing things from a window and shouting. I ran in and told him to get out. The lady of the house came back from the shop and was crying, it was all very frantic.
“It was natural instinct to go in and help them,” he added.
Three fire appliances, two from Haverfordwest and one from Milford Haven, attended the scene, with four firefighters entering the property using breathing apparatus and hose reel jets.
Larger main jets were also used to tackle the blaze.
A spokesman for Mid and West Wales Fire Service said the firefighters ‘worked hard in very difficult conditions to bring the fire under control’.
He added that smoke alarms had gone off, emphasising the importance of having working alarms in all homes.
“Our advice is always to get out, stay out and call the fire service and not to tackle a fire yourself,” he said.
Free home checks, including installation of smoke alarms, are available.
To register interest contact Mid and West Wales Fire Service on 0800 1691234.
Anyone who can help the Wilkinson family please text Hannah on 07710507390.
Comments are closed on this article.