Smoke alarm warning after house fire in Jordanston
11:50am Tuesday 22nd October 2013 in News
Two people were taken to Withybush Hospital following a house fire at St Mary’s Park, Jordanston, just before 6am yesterday (Monday).
Two crews from Milford Haven and one from Pembroke Dock attended the fire, which was thought to have been caused by an electrical fault in the lounge.
Firefighters were at the scene until 8.14am.
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service assistant count commander Dai Swan highlighted the importance of having a smoke alarm fitted.
Mr Swan added: “If the property had smoke alarms fitted, the alarm would have been raised sooner and that would have reduced the substantial damage to the ground floor.
“Small electrical faults such as this, which result in the over-heating of cables, would have triggered a smoke alarm.
“The fire was early in the morning when everyone was asleep so nobody would have smelt it. Of course, smoke alarms do not sleep.”
A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 5.56am on Monday to reports of a fire at a property on St Mary’s Park in Jordanston, Milford Haven.
“We sent two emergency ambulances to the scene, and two casualties were taken to Withybush General Hospital.”
For more information on free home fire safety checks go to http://www.mawwfire.gov.uk.
Comments are closed on this article.