National park staff tackle storm-damaged coast line

Western Telegraph: DAMAGE: An example of the storm damage at Abermawr. (3883518) DAMAGE: An example of the storm damage at Abermawr. (3883518)

PEMBROKESHIRE Coast National Park Authority is continuing storm clean-up work following the recent extreme weather as it attempts to keep access open wherever possible.

A total of 35 park locations experienced damage, ranging from the accumulation of debris to the loss of coastal land and dunes. Inland, flooding and high winds resulted in severe gully erosion to some bridleways and brought trees down across paths.

Although the majority of repairs or diversions had been completed, some suffered further damage during the early February storms and some work will have to be repeated.

National Park Authority Access and Rights of Way Manager Anthony Richards said: “Repairing the storm damage is a priority in order to make sites and paths as safe and accessible as possible. Some repairs will be temporary and more permanent work will take place after the late February high tides.

“The emphasis on repair work on car parks, beach access paths and the Coast Path in readiness for the main visitor season is in the interest of all users, local communities and not least, the local economy.

“Public safety is our primary concern and the Authority is advising people to stay away from dune areas as erosion from the high tides has resulted in many dunes becoming unstable and in danger of collapse.”

More complex issues at two popular locations at opposite ends of the county have resulted in a prolonged closure as further investigations and expert advice is taken in order to find the best possible long-term solution.

The access path down to Caerfai beach near St Davids remains closed as a landslide has undermined the beach access footpath midway down the slope.

On the Coast Path at the Penally end of Tenby South Beach, the viewing platform and beach access steps were severely damaged by the January storm and a further three metres of Coast Path were lost due to dune erosion. An alternative route is in place.

Following an update to the National Park Authority on February 5th, Chairman Cllr Mike James and Authority Members thanked officers for their prompt response to the damage and for their continued hard work.

Cllr James added: “I would also like to extend a thank you to members of the local community who have volunteered to help with the clean-up effort, including Coleg Ceredigion students who cleared debris at Newport Parrog and Newport Sands and pupils from Cardigan School who helped at Poppit Sands.”

A funding bid has been awarded by the Welsh Government to help cover the costs of the clean-up to the Wales Coast Path.

For up to date information see www.pembrokeshirecoast.org.uk.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:51pm Sun 9 Feb 14

Gogledd says...

And so they should as the National Parks get the money from the Parking..or does it eventually end up at PCC
And so they should as the National Parks get the money from the Parking..or does it eventually end up at PCC Gogledd

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree