ARTEFACTS from the fine military past of the former Llanion Barracks, Pembroke Dock, have now found a home at the town’s new heritage centre.
The Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority, which moved to Llanion Park 10 years ago, has donated many items to the Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust which is setting up a new visitor centre at the restored Dockyard Chapel.
In 2005, to mark the 100th anniversary of the opening of Llanion Barracks, the artefacts were brought together in an impressive display.
They included cap badges, photographs and memorabilia of regiments stationed at Llanion between 1905 and 1965.
Authority chief executive Tegryn Jones and Llanion Park caretaker Brian Pratt handed over the artefacts to John Evans of the Sunderland Trust.
John was working for the park authority in 2005 and, with Brian, researched and compiled the displays, which include two brass plaques recalling involvement of both the British Army and, in the Second World War, the American Army at Llanion.
“We had the display in a meeting room for some years but it was not on public view,” said Mr Jones.
“We are delighted to donate these items to the Sunderland Trust in this the 200th anniversary year of Pembroke Dock.”
John added: “The Llanion area has contributed hugely to the town’s story in the past century, initially as a military camp.
“Later the former officers’ mess became district council headquarters and it is now the authority’s main base. Photographs in the collection also reflect this more recent history.”