Senior Cup Final:
Tenby 2–0 Merlins Bridge

A SECOND half penalty from Billy Vaughan and a late own goal from Bridge keeper Carl Woodhouse gave Tenby their first ever Senior Cup success in scorching hot conditions at the Conygar Bridge Meadow.

The Seasiders showed the greater attacking intent of two sides, but had to wait until the 74th minute to break the deadlock when Vaughan stroked home from 12 yards after Paul Thomas had brought down Daryl Mansbridge.

Then in the dying seconds a spectacular effort from Tenby sub Jordan Richards hit the post but rebounded back into the net off the unlucky Woodhouse.

The first real opening for either side came 16 minutes in when Peter Thomas and Matthew D’Ivry collided in the Bridge defence, but Jerome Mansbridge was unable to take advantage as his weak cross was cut out by Paul Thomas.

Tenby went close again moments later when Curtis Hurlow just failed to connect with a Billy Vaughan corner.

At the other end, D’Ivry and Daniel Bryce combined to set up Stephen McNabney, but Hurlow was alert to the danger.

Dai Davies then struck a fierce shot straight at Tenby keeper Dafydd Jones before Vaughan flashed a 25-yard effort just wide for the Seasiders.

But 30 minutes in Vaughan missed the best chance of the half when he was played in by Jerome Mansbridge but sliced wide with the goal at his mercy.

Woodhouse then kept out a Christopher header before doing well to tip Vaughan’s low free kick around the post – and the sides went in goalless at the break.

Bridge striker McNabney cut a frustrated figure in the opening 45 minutes as he was starved of service, but early in the second half he nearly created the opener when his whipped free kick saw Peter Thomas head just wide of the near post.

But from that point the Seasiders took command, and the Wizards were forced to sit deep as Mike Lewis’ men pressed forward.

And after 74 minutes, they broke the deadlock when Daryl Mansbridge surged down the left and into the area – and after being brought down by Paul Thomas, referee Dean Boswell awarded a penalty after some deliberation.

Vaughan stepped up and although Woodhouse got a hand to his effort, the ball crept under the keeper and into the net.

Bridge had immediate cause to appeal for a penalty of their own when Cattlin mishit a clearance, but referee Boswell adjudged the ball to have come off his chest and not his arm.

Peter Thomas then did well to stop Vaughan going clean through but as Bridge threw players forward late on, Simon Thomas curled a free kick just over the bar.

McNabney then tried his luck from another free kick 30 yards out, but Jones gathered his effort at the second attempt.

It looked like substitute Jordan Richards had sealed it for Tenby when his spectacular effort from the left wing curled over Woodhouse and into the net – but the strike was ruled out for offside.

But after Daryl Mansbridge fired a left foot shot over – Richards did secure the win in injury time with an almost identical effort. This time though, the ball cannoned off the post and into the net via the back of Woodhouse, who could have done little about the ricochet.

It sparked wild celebrations amongst the Seasiders’  players and supporters – and man of the match Cattlin was able to lift the trophy for the first time in the club’s history.

Tenby: Dafydd Jones, Curtis Hurlow, Sonny Phillips, Alex Harley, Phil Cattlin, Callum Proctor, Daryl Mansbridge, Richard Perry, Sam Christopher, Billy Vaughan, Jerome Mansbridge.
Subs: Ashley Andrews, Toby Rossiter, Jordan Richards.

Merlins Bridge: Carl Woodhouse, Daniel Bryce, Lee Hudgell, Peter Thomas, Paul Thomas, Jonny Sable, MattheW d’Ivry, David Davies, Nathan Thomas, Simon Thomas, Stephen McNabney.
Subs: Nathan Greene, Jordan Raymond, Stephen Clarke.

Referee: Dean Boswell.
Assistants: Kevin Bowen and Tom Bevan.
Fourth official: Sean O’Connor.