Judge hits out at police over bungled interview with alleged rape victim
6:00pm Friday 9th May 2014 in News
A judge has today (Friday) demanded a report after accusing Pembroke Dock police of failing to do justice to a young girl complaining of being raped.
Her 85 minute interview at the station’s specialist sex crimes unit was ruined after officers left a window open and the sound of passing traffic drowned out her evidence.
Ian Wright, prosecuting, told Swansea crown court that in his opinion “it would not be right” to put the dvd before a jury and the girl will now give evidence from behind a screen.
Judge Thomas said the police had not done justice to a vulnerable witness.
The 16 year old girl, he said, had already had to give another account of what she said happened during a school trip.
“It is not acceptable,” he added.
Mr Wright said the girl had been interviewed on a “very hot” day last July which, he understood, was why the window had been left open.
Judge Thomas said he wanted a report about what had happened and then he would decide “who should explain their position.”
A 16 year old youth denied one accusation of rape and two of sexual assault, all relating to the same girl. The rape is alleged to have taken place during a school trip to the Pembrokeshire coast.
The youth will stand trial on November 17 and was granted bail meanwhile.