Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service is warning of the dangers of using the wrong charging device to charge e-cigarettes following an incident in Tenby on Tuesday.

As the Western Telegraph reported here crews were called to an address in Lamock Vale, Tenby, shortly after 1am on Tuesday morning following reports of a fire in an upstairs bedroom.

Two appliances from Tenby attended the incident in which 22 year-old Lucy May suffered burns to both her hands and feet.

It is believed that the fire was a result of an incorrectly rated charger - in this case an iPhone charger -  being used to charge an e-cigarette.

Station Manager Dai Swan said: “If you use e-cigarettes, please make sure you purchase them from a reputable source.

"When charging please ensure you only use the charger supplied with your kit and do not mix and match components from different e-cigarette manufacturers.

"It is also important that you do not leave them unattended whilst on charge, or charge for longer than the recommended duration – as you can see the consequences can be devastating.

“It’s also a good idea to keep an eye on the Electronic Cigarette Trade Industry Association's website for the industry's response to increasing medical and health regulations.

"You should also make sure you have a working smoke alarm in the event something does go wrong. You can contact us for a FREE Home Safety Check if you do have any concerns on 0800 169 1234”.