Application due to go to planning committee next week with recommendation for refusal
Updated 2:29pm Tuesday 17th June 2014 in News
A YOUNG couple from Glandwr, whose controversial roundhouse has won them support from across the world, have received a blow ahead of a crucial planning meeting.
After being issued with a demolition notice by Pembrokeshire County Council, Charlie Hague and Megan Williams submitted an application for retrospective planning permission for their one-bedroom eco house early last year, and have been waiting to hear the fate of their family home since.
The Western Telegraph understands that county council planning officers have recommended refusal of the couple’s application, which is due before the planning committee next week.
However, councillors could still choose to approve the development, defer a decision, or request a site visit.
There is also a chance that Welsh Government guidelines designed to encourage sustainable development – the One Planet Development Policy – will make it possible for the couple to keep their self-built home.
“We are confident that Pembrokeshire County Council will view our retrospective application fairly in line with One Planet Development guidelines,” said Megan, aged 26.
The couple accept their house was built without planning permission, but maintain there was no other way for them to afford their own home.
“I know it’s not a possibility for everyone, and our situation here is unique, but if young people are to live and work in the area they need somewhere to live,” said Megan.
Charlie said the support the couple have received has been phenomenal.
Praise has come from Europe, Canada and America, and several people have left the comment ‘Brazil supports you’ after the roundhouse was featured on a Brazilian news website.
Charlie said: “It’s great that local people seem to be behind us too, and we really appreciate everyone taking the time support our application.”
More than 90,000 people have also signed an online petition supporting the couple’s application, and TV presenter and property developer George Clarke also backed the couple.
The application is due to be discussed on Tuesday, June 24.
Update, 2.30pm: The planning reports are now available online here.
Comments are closed on this article.