North Pembrokeshire beach re-opened after 'bomb' found to be gas canister

North Pembrokeshire beach re-opened after 'bomb' found to be gas canister

The 'suspect device' turned out to be a gas canister. PICTURE: Roger Antell.

MOD specialists remove the suspected ordnance from the water line. PICTURE: Roger Antell.

Police and Royal Navy bomb disposal teams at the site. PICTURE: Roger Antell.

First published in News
Last updated

A north Pembrokeshire beach is back open to the public following the discovery of a suspect device on Wednesday evening (August 13).

Milford Haven Coastguard closed Cwm Yr Eglwys beach near Dinas for most of Thursday while it awaited the arrival of a specialist MOD team from Plymouth.

The beach was due to hold its annual regatta.

Speaking from the scene on Thursday, Barry Scott from HM Coastguard said: “A member of the public called it in just as the tide was turning and by the time I got down here the tide had already covered it. I managed to get a couple of pictures but they weren’t very good through six inches of water.

“The possibilities are that it is some sort of ordnance or it could be something really simple like an old gas canister.”

Speaking on Friday, a coastguard spokesman said: “It turned out to be a gas cylinder. It was declared inert by the team from Plymouth and taken away by the fire brigade.

“The beach is now back open.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree