Manderwood Pembrokeshire League Division One:

Hakin United 4–0 Lamphey

TWO goals each for strikers Nicky Woodrow and Justin Harding ensured Hakin United made it three league wins from three this season, as they overcame a difficult start, plus a second half red card to Ben Steele, to see off Lamphey.

But a one sided victory didn’t seem likely early on as the visitors started tenaciously and didn’t allow the champions to settle, and 11 minutes in, they came close to a surprise lead.

Skipper Dano Kitts lined up a free kick 20 yards out, and his curling left footed shot beat the wall – but was brilliantly tipped away at full stretch by Hakin keeper Adrian Devonald.

Moments later The Stags did have the ball in the net when Billy Davis poked home from close range, only to be flagged offside.

And Davis threatened again when Kitts dispossessed Hakin centre back Ryan Mansell and sent the left winger through on goal, but Devonald again saved The Vikings as he rushed off his line to block the effort with his feet.

Hakin’s first real sight of goal came when Harding turned well on the edge of the area and dragged his shot wide, before Adam John cut in from the left and flashed a low drive across the face of goal.

But having defended resolutely for 35 minutes, the visitors fatally allowed Hakin skipper Nicky Woodrow too much space 20 yards out, and he took full advantage by driving a powerful low shot into the bottom corner.

Kristan Bennett’s men nearly doubled the lead three minutes later when Bradley Barrett narrowly failed to connect with Woodrow’s header back across goal.

And as the home side looked increasingly assured, they again went close before the break, as Woodrow and Harding combined to tee up Shane Walsh, who crashed an angled shot against the bar.

Early in the second half Lamphey keeper Richard Evans got lucky after spilling a routine catch in his area, but with Woodrow set to pounce, away centre back Alex Lewis did well to get back and clear the danger.

But as the contest became scrappy, chances were few and far between in the early stages of the second half, before on 64 minutes Hakin were reduced to ten men.

Steele, already booked earlier in the half by referee Huw George for dissent, caught Dan Powers late and although the Lamphey midfielder stayed on his feet, the official issued a second yellow and subsequent red.

But just when you thought The Vikings were then in for a nervy finish, they upped the ante and defied their one man disadvantage with three late goals.

On 72 minutes, it was the deadly Woodrow who latched onto a long kick upfield from keeper Devonald, and showed good control before dinking the ball over his marker and finishing clinically.

And eight minutes later it was Devonald who was again the provider as another clearance found Woodrow, whose back heeled pass teed up Harding to sweep a shot home from the penalty spot.

Then with time running out, the same duo combined to make it 4-0, as Woodrow's deep cross was volleyed home by Harding at the back post, as Bennett's men emphatically maintained their 100% start to the campaign.

Hakin United: Adrian Devonald, Jimmy Walker, Bradley Barrett, Sion Price, Ryan Mansell, Shane Walsh, Ben Steele, Ryan Wilson, Adam John, Nicky Woodrow, Justin Harding.

Subs: Ben Fawcett, Jake Merry, Ewan Findlay.

Lamphey: Richard Evans, Rhys Griffiths, Dan Powers, Alex Lewis, Jansen Parsley, Josh Dearsley, Nico Morrison, Dano Kitts, Billy Davies, Sam Southcott, Mickey Davis.

Subs: Anthony Webb, Josh Sture.

Referee: Huw George.