The fate of an escaped Jack Russell cross who tore flesh from a neighbour’s leg will be decided on Halloween.

Linzie Marie James, 42, of Whitehall Avenue, Pembroke, pleaded guilty to being the owner in charge of a dog which caused injury while dangerously out of control, when she appeared at Haverfordwest magistrates court on Tuesday.

The court heard that three dogs were seen running around a Pembroke cul-de-sac at 12.20pm on July 12.

Resident Hazel Roberts came out of her home because she was concerned that the animals would run into her garage, and a Jack Russell cross breed showed its teeth when she shooed him out.

Vaughan Pritchard-Jones, prosecuting, said: “She felt contact, but fortunately the dog did not actually bite her. It was more of a graze.”

Mrs Roberts fell over in shock and fractured her shoulder, the dog then ran off across the road towards another resident Ann Adams, who was standing in her driveway.

Mr Pritchard-Jones said: “She says that three dogs were running around her and then she felt a bite on her leg.

“It was a very nasty bite, the dog actually took a chunk of flesh out of her leg. As a result she had to have a skin graft.”

The victim’s mobility was said to be ‘severely restricted’ following the incident and she stated that she struggled to walk and was unable to drive.

In a statement read to the court, Mrs Adams said that she had been left with ‘fear and dread’ about what could have happened if a child had been at the scene.

It was thought that pallets left against James’ fence had enabled the dogs to jump out, and the crown prosecution service asked for a destruction order for the dog which had attacked both women.

Katy Hanson, defending, asked the bench to adjourn the case to allow further evidence to be obtained from a behaviourist about the dog.

Miss Hanson said: “Miss James is absolutely devastated about what happened.

"She is extremely remorseful. The complainants are both ladies that she knows and are neighbours of hers.”

She added that James had looked after ten year-old Toddy for four years. She had owned a number of dogs including his mother and grandmother, and had also fostered dogs and other animals for rescue centres.

“Nothing of this nature has ever happened before.”

Miss Hanson added that the fence had been extended immediately after the incident, to make sure the dogs could not escape again.

Magistrates agreed to adjourn the case for three weeks and James will next appear on October 31.