12:30pm Friday 17th July 2009
Tenby’s walled town will be closed to vehicles tomorrow (Saturday), as the town's pedestrianisation scheme begins.
The scheme runs over the summer holiday period and the operational arrangements for this summer are the same as last year, with the majority of vehicles banned from the walled town from tomorrow, Saturday, July 18th, until Sunday September 6th.
Vehicle restrictions will apply from 11am to 5pm on each day of the pedestrianisation period.
The walled town will be divided into three areas, each with varying degrees of permitted vehicular access:
Pembrokeshire County Council will provide a free park and ride service from the North Beach car park into the walled town and the harbour between 10 am and 6 pm every day, while a second free service provided by the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority will run from the Salterns to South Parade. Additional disabled parking will also be provided along South Parade.
Councillor Jamie Adams, council deputy leader and cabinet member for highways and planning, said this would be the second year of the permanent traffic order in Tenby.
“The summer pedestrianisation scheme is now a regular feature of Tenby’s calender and welcomed by the majority of visitors and residents,” he said.
“It eases traffic congestion during the busiest part of the year and makes Tenby more pleasant for everyone.”
For further information on the scheme ring 01437 775282.
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group