Councils at war over Haverfordwest Castle plans
5:10pm Saturday 25th February 2012 in News
Haverfordwest Town Council has publicly condemned the county council cabinet’s decision to sell the castle grounds to make way for a ‘boutique hotel’ development.
A manifesto detailing the town council’s stance was constructed last week to be put forward to full council.
Cllr Jim Campbell said: “The first thing we need to get quite clear is this: Haverfordwest Town Council is in total opposition to the proposed developments on the castle grounds.”
Cllr Roy Thomas added: “It worries me that local residents think that we were working hand in glove with Pembrokeshire County Council and that it was a done job. That is not the case.”
The committee members proposed to write an open letter to the county council declaring their opposition to the proposed sale, and its handling.
“We need to ask the county council some pertinent questions that would attempt to break down this wall of secrecy that they have built around it,” said Cllr Peter Lewis.
“If they are going to sell it, we want to know who to, and how much for.”
Cllr Campbell said that a letter must also be sent to the Welsh Office, requesting a full investigation into the “undemocratic way the county council approached this”.
“If there’s enough of an obstacle put in the way, the developer would no longer wish to proceed with this,” he added.
The committee proposed to send letters to the county council, the Welsh Office local AM Paul Davies and MP Stephen Crabb.
Cllr Thomas added: “Bearing in mind the fact that this county council has been severely criticised in the local and national press for its lack of transparency and democracy, it beggars belief that the council is not prepared to change, like the leader said it would.”