"Overdose quantities" of drugs led to death
5:10pm Sunday 15th April 2012 in News
A PEMBROKE Dock mother of two died after consuming “overdose quantities”
of prescription painkillers, Pembrokeshire’s deputy coroner heard last Thursday.
Sonia Roberts was described by her son Sean as a “brilliant mother who loved us with all her heart”
in a statement read out at an inquest into her death.
The 42-year-old former stable hand had had a drink problem for a large part of her life and also had a history of drug abuse. She suffered from epilepsy and took medication to control it.
Her son said that he had met her days before her death and she seemed her normal “happy bubbly self”.
He said that she wasn’t drunk and didn’t mention any problems.
On October 26th police were called to Mrs Roberts’ flat after concern had been expressed for her wellbeing.
Two officers broke into the flat and found her on the sofa. The flat was immaculate and there was no sign of alcohol or medication near the body.
A post mortem found the presence of several prescription drugs in Mrs Roberts’ blood, including painkillers in concentrations known to cause death. A high concentration of an antidepressant was also present.
The pathologist gave the primary cause of death as drug overdose with a history of drug and alcohol abuse as a secondary cause.
Deputy coroner, Gareth Lewis, gave a narrative verdict saying: “Mrs Roberts was found deceased at her home address having taken an overdose quantity of prescription medication. I cannot be satisfied that she intended to take her own life.
The question of intent as to her actions remains unclear.”