A woman whose dog bit a workman causing nasty injuries has admitted owning a dog which was dangerously out of control.

Jennifer Miles, aged 60, of Quay Road, Goodwick, pleaded guilty after her German Shepherd, Jet, attacked David Patrick Mackin in December 2011.

Miles’ solicitor James Subbiani had made representations to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) that it was not in the public interest to prosecute because the dog had already been put down. But this was not accepted by the CPS.

Prosecutor Vaughan Pritchard Jones said that on December 8th, Mr Mackin, a self employed plasterer, was getting tools from his van when Miles’ dog jumped from her car and ran for him.

The dog “sunk its teeth”

into his thigh and shook its head. It then bit and shook his ankle.

Mr Mackin was taken to Withybush Hospital and had two operations to clean and stitch the wounds, including one under general anaesthetic.

He was admitted for five days.

Mr Pritchard Jones said that Miles had received a caution for a previous incident involving the dog a month before the attack on Mr Mackin. Miles had the dog destroyed immediately.

Mr Subbiani said he found the decision to prosecute “unfathomable”, adding that Miles was of good character and compensation of £5,000 had been paid, with a further sum to be decided.

He said that Miles had got Jet from a rescue centre in September 2011 and had nursed him back to health.

However, as he recovered his temperament became “questionable”.

Following the first incident she had decided the dog was too much for her and should be returned to the rescue centre, but it remained with her while a new home was found.

Mr Subbiani said the dog “burst past” her and she had no opportunity to control it.

He read a letter from Fishguard Vets stating that the dog had never shown any aggression during a number of painful examinations and injections carried out during his recovery period.

Presiding magistrate Mr Noott said: “I think the Crown was entirely correct in bringing this case because there was a previous incident and serious injury. This could have been catastrophic if a child had been involved,” said Mr Noott.

Miles received a conditional discharge for six months and must pay £85 court costs.