Council leader 'perplexed' at Welsh Government child safeguarding statements
5:12pm Tuesday 12th June 2012 in News
The leader of Pembrokeshire County Council, Cllr Jamie Adams, has responded to the written statement and letter from the Welsh Government ministers in which the council was again criticised over child safeguarding failures.
Cllr Adams said: “I am perplexed that this statement has been issued today when I have a long-standing appointment – arranged at my request – to meet the Ministers tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon. It is my intention to furnish them with evidence of the progress we have made in recent months.
“I am also surprised at the content of this letter, given the positive discussions we have had with the Pembrokeshire Ministerial Board (PMB) since the formation of the new Council.
“I am concerned that some of the views which appear to have been expressed to Ministers do not reflect the current position within the Authority. Indeed, in the absence of clear lines of communication with Ministers, I think we will find it difficult to make effective progress. I hope to resolve some of these matters when I meet Ministers tomorrow.
“I would like to recognise the significant steps taken by officers and school staff to address the concerns highlighted in last year’s reports. As Elected Members, we will support staff so that we continue to take all steps to meet the expectations of Ministers and, most importantly, the children of this County who continue to be our primary concern.”
Councillor Sue Perkins, Cabinet Member for Safeguarding and Children’s Services, said: “In my short time as Cabinet Member I feel we have made strides forward.
“I am sure that following tomorrow’s meeting, the Ministers will be reassured about the progress that has been made and will agree that safeguarding is top of the Pembrokeshire County Council agenda.”
Comments are closed on this article.