Public asked to stay away from Fishguard following gas "explosion"
11:30am Friday 29th June 2012 in News
Emergency services were called to Fishguard this morning following reports of a gas leak. Pic: Johnny Morris
Shops and businesses in and around Fishguard High Street have been evacuated following reports of a gas leak or possible explosion.
Emergency services are currently at the scene. A fire crew from Haverfordwest was called to the incident at around 9.35am, responding to reports of a gas leak.
Eyewitnesses are saying there has been an explosion with smoke and four foot flames coming out of a manhole by the Post Office.
Local businesses, shops and homes in West Street and Ropewalk have been evacuated as a precaution and roads closed. Police have created a 250 metre exclusion zone around the area, effectively meaning that the town centre has been sealed off.
The health centre has been evacuated and the junior school temporarily closed. With all the children currently housed at Fishguard Leisure Centre. The school is contacting parents directly to ask them to pick up their children.
There are no reported casualties at this time. Members of the public are being asked to stay away from Fishguard unless absolutely necessary.
Pembrokeshire County Council said that their emergency planning team has been notified.
The Gas Board are in attendance and are investigating the circumstances and source of the gas.
“In order to ensure the safety of all members of the public we are asking that people avoid travelling to Fishguard unless absolutely necessary, and if you are in the area stay away from the exclusion zone,” said a police spokesman.
“All agencies are working closely together to get the matter under control with as little disruption as possible but the safety of the public is our main priority.”
Comments are closed on this article.