Safeguarding issues are overstretching resources
6:10pm Saturday 30th June 2012 in News
The outgoing Director of Social Services at Pembrokeshire County Council has expressed concerns that the current volume of child safeguarding issues being investigated is overstretching resources and that a serious case may be missed.
Jon Skone, who is due to step down from his position shortly, raised his concerns as he addressed the Older Persons, Health and Well Being Overview and Scrutiny Committee for a final time on Thursday.
Mr Skone said he was concerned that with the ‘current levels of activity’ the council’s capacity was currently ‘being sapped.’ He also said social workers from Carmarthen and police officers from outside the area had been drafted in to assist in carrying out investigations.
Mr Skone, who visited 17 of the schools in the county identified as having ‘time-out rooms’ to satisfy himself that the facilities did not present a safeguarding issue for the children and adults involved, said: “I have witnessed children having to be taught in corridors because these classrooms have been locked.”
Mr Skone said the authority was on a journey of improvement but added: “My fear is now we will miss a case that needs immediate attention.”