Mid & West Wales Fire and Rescue Service warning follows Llangwm bedroom fire

First published in News

Members of the public are being urged to check their smoke alarms on a weekly basis after poorly-maintained smoke detectors failed to raise the alarm at a house fire in Llangwm.

Four fire appliances from Milford Haven and Haverfordwest were called to the incident in Pill Parks Way at 10pm on Saturday.

They found the property heavily smoke-logged and used breathing apparatus, thermal imaging cameras and firefighting jets to enter the house and extinguish the fire which was confined to a bedroom.

Firefighters then used specialist high volume fans to force the remaining smoke from the property.

One man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. A pet snake died in the incident.

Mid & West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said smoke detectors fitted in the property had not been adequately maintained and failed to raise the alarm.

“Swift action by the crews from Haverfordwest and Milford Haven prevented this from escalating into a far worse incident,” said Station Manager Rob Bellerby.

“We would urge members of the public to test their smoke alarms weekly; this small use of their time could be a lifesaver in the event of a fire occurring within the home.”

Free Home Fire Safety Checks, which includes the fitting of smoke detectors, are available to the public. To book contact Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 169 1234.     
 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree