Education Minister Leighton Andrews will intervene in Pembrokeshire County Council child safeguarding

Education Minister Leighton Andrews has said enough is enough and taken the dramatic decision to intervene over Pembrokeshire County Council's child safeguarding failures.

In a written statement issued this afternoon (Monday), Mr Andrews said he had issued a directive to Pembrokeshire County Council to comply with any instructions given by Graham Jones, the chairman of the Pembrokeshire Ministerial Board.

That Board had previously been put in place to challenge the council and oversee improvements in safeguarding procedures.

But Mr Jones will now have the power to order the council to follow "any instructions that he considers reasonably necessary to ensure that the authority adequately discharges its statutory duty to exercise its education functions with a view to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children."

Tellingly, Mr Andrews said the direction "makes clear why we as a Welsh Government have little confidence in certain senior officers. It is for the Leader and the Authority to demonstrate that the authority is taking its responsibilities for safeguarding seriously in ways which go beyond process management."

Last month Mr Andrews had written to Pembrokeshire County Council stating that they still had grave concerns about the way the council was performing when it came to child safeguarding.

Mr Andrews said that the reply from county council leader Jamie Adams had done nothing to convince Ministers that they were incorrect in their concerns.

The Minister also announced that the Wales Audit Office has been asked to bring forward its re-inspection of the authority.

Mr Andrews said:  "It is a great disappointment to us that that we have had to take this step, despite all the good work of the Ministerial Board in providing support and challenge to Pembrokeshire.  We hope that the inspectorate’s reports will, by the end of the year, bring us better news.  If they do not, we will have to consider taking more stringent action. "

Pembrokeshire County Council's leader, Councillor Jamie Adams, acknowledged today’s statement from the Welsh Government.

“The Authority is making good progress in addressing the issues highlighted around children’s safeguarding issues," he said.

“We remain committed to doing everything that can reasonably be expected to keep children in Pembrokeshire safe

“I recognise there is still work to be done but I am determined that with the continued support of the Welsh Government we will reach a successful outcome.”

 


This is the written statement by Leighton Andrews in full:

"I wish to update Members on the course of action the Welsh Government now plans to implement in respect of the safeguarding of children within the education service in Pembrokeshire.

The Deputy Minister for Children and Social Services and I wrote to the Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council on 12 June.  In that letter we told him that we continue to have serious concerns about arrangements for safeguarding in education services in the county and that we were minded to issue a direction to the authority. We also asked the Leader what confidence we could have in his senior officers.

The Pembrokeshire Ministerial Board and the inspectorates have reported findings that do little to allay our concerns.  Nothing the Leader has said in his letter of reply or in a subsequent email to us convinces us that the Board and the inspectorates have got it wrong. Most of what was contained in that letter was already known to us through the inspectorates and the work of the Pembrokeshire Ministerial Board.


We have very carefully considered the correspondence from the Leader.  We have checked and re-checked the facts and taken legal advice. We must know that everything is being done to make sure that children in Pembrokeshire are safe. Having reviewed all of the evidence, we have decided to issue a direction to Pembrokeshire County Council to comply with any instructions issued by His Honour Graham Jones, as Chair of the Pembrokeshire Ministerial Board, that he considers reasonably necessary to ensure that the authority adequately discharges its statutory duty to exercise its education functions with a view to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.  Since this direction is issued under the powers conferred by the Education Act 1996, the Board will from now on report to me and my officials.

 

In issuing this direction I am not absolving the local authority of its responsibilities for safeguarding.  It remains the responsibility of the authority, and not the Board, to ensure the safeguarding of children in Pembrokeshire.  However, the direction makes clear why we as a Welsh Government have little confidence in certain senior officers. It is for the Leader and the Authority to demonstrate that the authority is taking its responsibilities for safeguarding seriously in ways which go beyond process management.

 

I would be disappointed if the Chair were obliged to issue instructions to the authority, as I would take this as evidence of a clear failure on the part of the authority to discharge its safeguarding duties adequately.  I will not accept an argument that, because the Chair did not issue any instructions, everything must be satisfactory or that the Board agrees with the actions of the authority.  If the authority adequately discharges its statutory duty to exercise its education functions with a view to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children there should be no need for the Chair of the Board to issue any instructions.  I require clear proof that we can all have confidence in the authority.

 

Separately, but as a further indication of the importance that Welsh Ministers attach to these matters, the Minister for Local Government and Communities has asked the Wales Audit Office to bring forward its re-inspection of the authority.

 

For her part, the Deputy Minister for Children and Social Services will retain a watching brief on the work of the Board and will expect to be kept informed of their progress.  She wishes to be advised immediately in the event of any safeguarding issues that arise outside of education.

 

We are particularly mindful of the fact that a new Director of Social services has taken up post in the authority and we expect that he will bring fresh impetus to these matters and will want to work constructively with the Board and other partners, including working collaboratively with other authorities.   In order to support the work of the Board the Deputy Minister will strengthen her relationship with relevant cabinet members and with the new Director.

 

Meanwhile we expect the PMB to maintain its monitoring of the authority, as well as the engagement in democratic participation with authority members and the support being provided in the transition to new arrangements with head teachers in Pembrokeshire.  Those transition arrangements will require the authority to take on both the responsibility and the cost of taking this work forward. We are grateful to all of the members of the Board, and their secretariat, and we congratulate them on the work they have undertaken so far. We expect the Board to remain in place until the end of this calendar year, pending the receipt of reports from the inspectorates, after which the position may be reviewed.

 

The inspectorates, CSSIW and Estyn, will be conducting their re-inspections in October and their reports, together with the WAO’s report, will inform our next steps.  We hope that proof of fundamental change will be provided by the inspectorates’ reports.  We cannot, however, simply wait for inspection reports at the end of the year.

 

I want to emphasise that we understand the difficult circumstances in which head teachers and teachers in Pembrokeshire have been working. We are aware that the local authority does not provide the clarity or support which they are entitled to expect. I will be meeting with head teachers in Pembrokeshire, along with their union representatives, at the start of the Autumn term to hear from them directly.

 

The decision to issue a direction cannot be taken lightly, and any direction must be proportionate.   For these reasons we have taken our time in considering all the evidence before us.  As part of our deliberations we met with the Children’s Commissioner and he has signalled his clear support for this action.

 

It is a great disappointment to us that that we have had to take this step, despite all the good work of the Ministerial Board in providing support and challenge to Pembrokeshire.  We hope that the inspectorate’s reports will, by the end of the year, bring us better news.  If they do not, we will have to consider taking more stringent action. "

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:12pm Mon 16 Jul 12

Welshman23 says...

Great news Welsh Office, can I help to kick start the process, suspend and start disciplinary action against the people that are supposed to protect the children, phone the leave no stone un turned. Any one found guilty is sacked no pay off and send them to prison. Harsh but think of the children that were effected.
Great news Welsh Office, can I help to kick start the process, suspend and start disciplinary action against the people that are supposed to protect the children, phone the leave no stone un turned. Any one found guilty is sacked no pay off and send them to prison. Harsh but think of the children that were effected. Welshman23
  • Score: 0

9:13pm Mon 16 Jul 12

Welshman23 says...

Sorry it should read phone the police.
Sorry it should read phone the police. Welshman23
  • Score: 0

11:32pm Mon 16 Jul 12

taffytubby says...

There is a serious need for a thorough investigation into the operation of Pembrokeshire County Council. The fact that it cannot provide essential services like child protection makes me wonder what the council has been concentrating its efforts on and whether other core services have been let down by these elected officers and their cronies.
There is a serious need for a thorough investigation into the operation of Pembrokeshire County Council. The fact that it cannot provide essential services like child protection makes me wonder what the council has been concentrating its efforts on and whether other core services have been let down by these elected officers and their cronies. taffytubby
  • Score: 0

8:49am Tue 17 Jul 12

Tttoommy says...

2 elements here - how can one control kids so damaged they hurt themselves and others and the other? how PCC tried to hide facts - ppl looking after kids will be sacked whilst the real villains at the top will decide to retire or retire due to sickness, get half a million from the pension fund and then get an overpaid job in a nearby County
2 elements here - how can one control kids so damaged they hurt themselves and others and the other? how PCC tried to hide facts - ppl looking after kids will be sacked whilst the real villains at the top will decide to retire or retire due to sickness, get half a million from the pension fund and then get an overpaid job in a nearby County Tttoommy
  • Score: 0

9:09am Tue 17 Jul 12

Suebound says...

I hope someone is watching the planning department also as peoples lives are being ruined because of the planning department allowing wind turbines to go up far to near peoples property and not abiding by guidelines. I am shocked by the pembrokeshire county council attitude and really hope there are no more awful consequences due to poor standards across the council certainly with regards to the planning department let alone the rest of it!
I hope someone is watching the planning department also as peoples lives are being ruined because of the planning department allowing wind turbines to go up far to near peoples property and not abiding by guidelines. I am shocked by the pembrokeshire county council attitude and really hope there are no more awful consequences due to poor standards across the council certainly with regards to the planning department let alone the rest of it! Suebound
  • Score: 0

9:32am Tue 17 Jul 12

Indeview J Hudson says...

I am still waiting for an explanation as to why PCC did not record decisions taken by officers throughout the organisation, to the extent that it could not provide recorded or written evidence in the Judicial Review of care home fees.
This is a basic requirement of good administrative practice and was required in Guidelines issued by Welsh Government following the setting up of the new cabinet governance arrangements.

Of course, if there are no written or recorded decisions Freedom of Information requests cannot be met.
How convenient!
I am still waiting for an explanation as to why PCC did not record decisions taken by officers throughout the organisation, to the extent that it could not provide recorded or written evidence in the Judicial Review of care home fees. This is a basic requirement of good administrative practice and was required in Guidelines issued by Welsh Government following the setting up of the new cabinet governance arrangements. Of course, if there are no written or recorded decisions Freedom of Information requests cannot be met. How convenient! Indeview J Hudson
  • Score: 0

10:14am Tue 17 Jul 12

philipw says...

Our highly paid CEO has been conspicuous by his absence. Is he on holidays and should he not take a pay cut given the diminution of his responsibilities now?
Our highly paid CEO has been conspicuous by his absence. Is he on holidays and should he not take a pay cut given the diminution of his responsibilities now? philipw
  • Score: 0

11:58am Tue 17 Jul 12

great gran says...

So sad that these vulnerable young people are not being protected as they should.
Who is there to speak up for them and to protect them if not the people who are being payed high salaries for not doing their jobs properly in the first place?
Then it is only history repeating itself as through the ages nothing has changed for them. The weakest and youngest will continue to suffer.
So sad that these vulnerable young people are not being protected as they should. Who is there to speak up for them and to protect them if not the people who are being payed high salaries for not doing their jobs properly in the first place? Then it is only history repeating itself as through the ages nothing has changed for them. The weakest and youngest will continue to suffer. great gran
  • Score: 0

4:18pm Tue 17 Jul 12

pccwatcher says...

It is good news but even if PCC finally capitulates and does put its house in order (don't hold your breath) what confidence can anyone have that any apparent change in attitude will be maintained. As soon as the heat is back off, I have no doubt that the current management will revert to form. Decency isn't suddenly aquired in middle age - if they were 5 year olds I might hold out some hope. And, don't be misled in to believing that the atmosphere of fear that lingered over more lowly pcc employees before the recent inquiries has suddenly evaporated - it has not. They are reluctant to speak out for very good reason. PCC management appear to think that the recent sackings (as a direct result of the recent inquiries) will
appease their dissenters but the question remains why the middle managers who vociferously supported the continued employment of these employees against continued attempts by their concerned work colleagues to get PCC to act (over almost a decade) are still in post themselves. They are at best inept and at worst purely mercenary - I suspect that they are a very scary combination of the two. Are these managers going to be held responsible for past failings or has the focus of the intervention moved on? If it has, it needs to back track and deal with the underlying issues in management. If PCC was a plc, their heads would have quite rightly rolled months ago.
It is good news but even if PCC finally capitulates and does put its house in order (don't hold your breath) what confidence can anyone have that any apparent change in attitude will be maintained. As soon as the heat is back off, I have no doubt that the current management will revert to form. Decency isn't suddenly aquired in middle age - if they were 5 year olds I might hold out some hope. And, don't be misled in to believing that the atmosphere of fear that lingered over more lowly pcc employees before the recent inquiries has suddenly evaporated - it has not. They are reluctant to speak out for very good reason. PCC management appear to think that the recent sackings (as a direct result of the recent inquiries) will appease their dissenters but the question remains why the middle managers who vociferously supported the continued employment of these employees against continued attempts by their concerned work colleagues to get PCC to act (over almost a decade) are still in post themselves. They are at best inept and at worst purely mercenary - I suspect that they are a very scary combination of the two. Are these managers going to be held responsible for past failings or has the focus of the intervention moved on? If it has, it needs to back track and deal with the underlying issues in management. If PCC was a plc, their heads would have quite rightly rolled months ago. pccwatcher
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Tue 17 Jul 12

Rockface says...

pccwatcher wrote:
It is good news but even if PCC finally capitulates and does put its house in order (don't hold your breath) what confidence can anyone have that any apparent change in attitude will be maintained. As soon as the heat is back off, I have no doubt that the current management will revert to form. Decency isn't suddenly aquired in middle age - if they were 5 year olds I might hold out some hope. And, don't be misled in to believing that the atmosphere of fear that lingered over more lowly pcc employees before the recent inquiries has suddenly evaporated - it has not. They are reluctant to speak out for very good reason. PCC management appear to think that the recent sackings (as a direct result of the recent inquiries) will
appease their dissenters but the question remains why the middle managers who vociferously supported the continued employment of these employees against continued attempts by their concerned work colleagues to get PCC to act (over almost a decade) are still in post themselves. They are at best inept and at worst purely mercenary - I suspect that they are a very scary combination of the two. Are these managers going to be held responsible for past failings or has the focus of the intervention moved on? If it has, it needs to back track and deal with the underlying issues in management. If PCC was a plc, their heads would have quite rightly rolled months ago.
So who has been sacked?
[quote][p][bold]pccwatcher[/bold] wrote: It is good news but even if PCC finally capitulates and does put its house in order (don't hold your breath) what confidence can anyone have that any apparent change in attitude will be maintained. As soon as the heat is back off, I have no doubt that the current management will revert to form. Decency isn't suddenly aquired in middle age - if they were 5 year olds I might hold out some hope. And, don't be misled in to believing that the atmosphere of fear that lingered over more lowly pcc employees before the recent inquiries has suddenly evaporated - it has not. They are reluctant to speak out for very good reason. PCC management appear to think that the recent sackings (as a direct result of the recent inquiries) will appease their dissenters but the question remains why the middle managers who vociferously supported the continued employment of these employees against continued attempts by their concerned work colleagues to get PCC to act (over almost a decade) are still in post themselves. They are at best inept and at worst purely mercenary - I suspect that they are a very scary combination of the two. Are these managers going to be held responsible for past failings or has the focus of the intervention moved on? If it has, it needs to back track and deal with the underlying issues in management. If PCC was a plc, their heads would have quite rightly rolled months ago.[/p][/quote]So who has been sacked? Rockface
  • Score: 0

4:42pm Tue 17 Jul 12

pccwatcher says...

Not sure how much I can say? Two employees from the youth service.
Not sure how much I can say? Two employees from the youth service. pccwatcher
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Tue 17 Jul 12

Rockface says...

pccwatcher wrote:
Not sure how much I can say? Two employees from the youth service.
Thanks!
[quote][p][bold]pccwatcher[/bold] wrote: Not sure how much I can say? Two employees from the youth service.[/p][/quote]Thanks! Rockface
  • Score: 0

6:29pm Tue 17 Jul 12

Indeview J Hudson says...

Things have not changed!
A working group was set up to undertake a fundamental review of the Constitution, or the rules that govern how the Council is to be run.
This cross party of councillors, advised by officers, has met twice.
On the web-site you can now look up decisions taken by officers ( as announced by the Leader) and a local code of corporate governance.
Niether of these has been presented to, or approved by, our elected representatives.
Senior officers are still making the running and apparently still have little regard for elected councillors who get paid for having some reponsibility for the way in which this council is governed.
You have to wonder why IPG members put up with it.
Things have not changed! A working group was set up to undertake a fundamental review of the Constitution, or the rules that govern how the Council is to be run. This cross party of councillors, advised by officers, has met twice. On the web-site you can now look up decisions taken by officers ( as announced by the Leader) and a local code of corporate governance. Niether of these has been presented to, or approved by, our elected representatives. Senior officers are still making the running and apparently still have little regard for elected councillors who get paid for having some reponsibility for the way in which this council is governed. You have to wonder why IPG members put up with it. Indeview J Hudson
  • Score: 0

7:04pm Tue 17 Jul 12

Suebound says...

having just moved from London to Pembrokeshire I get the feeling that I have moved to another planet not another country!! a planet where the council just do exactly as they please with no consequences for any mistakes made maybe I will wake up tomorrow and it was all just a bad dream. The locals warned me that it was " different down here" but I have not been prepared for the shock of seeing Pembrokeshire county council planning in action let's hope for all our sakes that the Welsh Assembly take a closer look at the planning department in addition to the other disasterous areas in PCC or we could all end up living with a wind turbine larger than Nelsons column in our gardens!!!
having just moved from London to Pembrokeshire I get the feeling that I have moved to another planet not another country!! a planet where the council just do exactly as they please with no consequences for any mistakes made maybe I will wake up tomorrow and it was all just a bad dream. The locals warned me that it was " different down here" but I have not been prepared for the shock of seeing Pembrokeshire county council planning in action let's hope for all our sakes that the Welsh Assembly take a closer look at the planning department in addition to the other disasterous areas in PCC or we could all end up living with a wind turbine larger than Nelsons column in our gardens!!! Suebound
  • Score: 0

10:03pm Tue 17 Jul 12

saisneg says...

What I find interesting is that, in all the furore that has been going on about this over the last year, it seems that very few - if any - of those at the "coal face" have been consulted about our experiences.

I wonder if this is all regarded as purely a matter for officers and managers, and whether the opinions of those of us on the front line trying to safeguard these kids actually counts for anything.

Perhaps someone's worried that we might not stay "on message" and spoil the "everything's OK, we're on the case" party line that seems to be PCC's position throughout...?
What I find interesting is that, in all the furore that has been going on about this over the last year, it seems that very few - if any - of those at the "coal face" have been consulted about our experiences. I wonder if this is all regarded as purely a matter for officers and managers, and whether the opinions of those of us on the front line trying to safeguard these kids actually counts for anything. Perhaps someone's worried that we might not stay "on message" and spoil the "everything's OK, we're on the case" party line that seems to be PCC's position throughout...? saisneg
  • Score: 0

6:42am Wed 18 Jul 12

gwdihw says...

Failure to consult, decisions taken behind closed doors, good administrative procedures ignored, their own guidelines disregarded. Therefore no paper trail. Without procedure everything becomes personal and all the power is in the hands of senior management. A culture of fear pervades the workplace. My husband was one victim of these failings- that children's safety may have been be endangered is unforgivable. Shame on you PCC.
Failure to consult, decisions taken behind closed doors, good administrative procedures ignored, their own guidelines disregarded. Therefore no paper trail. Without procedure everything becomes personal and all the power is in the hands of senior management. A culture of fear pervades the workplace. My husband was one victim of these failings- that children's safety may have been be endangered is unforgivable. Shame on you PCC. gwdihw
  • Score: 0

8:45am Wed 18 Jul 12

martin9325 says...

This spat has little to do with children and everything to do with Cardiff wanting to get rid of Pembrokeshire as an entitity and combine it with Ceredigion and Carmathenshire to recreate Dyfed.
This spat has little to do with children and everything to do with Cardiff wanting to get rid of Pembrokeshire as an entitity and combine it with Ceredigion and Carmathenshire to recreate Dyfed. martin9325
  • Score: 0

9:38am Wed 18 Jul 12

Suebound says...

Well if that's the case it might be better for us all at least Carmarthen use specific guidelines in relation to planning and have the decency to consider residents they are currently working to minimum distances of 1500 metres between residents and turbines pembrokeshire are allowing them within 200 metres of peoples houses says it all really! so hopefully if they did merge at least there is a chance of "better practice" across all areas of county council!
Well if that's the case it might be better for us all at least Carmarthen use specific guidelines in relation to planning and have the decency to consider residents they are currently working to minimum distances of 1500 metres between residents and turbines pembrokeshire are allowing them within 200 metres of peoples houses says it all really! so hopefully if they did merge at least there is a chance of "better practice" across all areas of county council! Suebound
  • Score: 0

9:42am Wed 18 Jul 12

great gran says...

How have we suddenly gone from talking about the needs of the young vulnerable people to wind turbines and planning? It boggles my mind that suddenly, it is something else that jumps on the bandwagon and the young are suddenly pushed to the back of the queue yet again.
How have we suddenly gone from talking about the needs of the young vulnerable people to wind turbines and planning? It boggles my mind that suddenly, it is something else that jumps on the bandwagon and the young are suddenly pushed to the back of the queue yet again. great gran
  • Score: 0

9:44am Wed 18 Jul 12

pccwatcher says...

martin9325 - your comment suggests that you are either on the sidelines with no real knowledge of what has been going on behind the closed doors of County Hall or a supporter/member of the 'Independent Party' ensconced there. No matter how much spin is put on the current inquiries nothing can cover up the fact that there has been a catalogue of mismanagement which has directly resulted in children in Pembrokeshire being put at risk by persons in their employ. Your comment reflects the total disregard for wellbeing and feelings of those on the receiving end of PCC's failings, coming as it does after the quote above you.
Saisneg - can I suggest that if you or any of your colleagues have anything that needs to be said/brought to light, you can send information in total confidence to CSSIW investigators, and I am sure that Graham Jones would also be receptive.
martin9325 - your comment suggests that you are either on the sidelines with no real knowledge of what has been going on behind the closed doors of County Hall or a supporter/member of the 'Independent Party' ensconced there. No matter how much spin is put on the current inquiries nothing can cover up the fact that there has been a catalogue of mismanagement which has directly resulted in children in Pembrokeshire being put at risk by persons in their employ. Your comment reflects the total disregard for wellbeing and feelings of those on the receiving end of PCC's failings, coming as it does after the quote above you. Saisneg - can I suggest that if you or any of your colleagues have anything that needs to be said/brought to light, you can send information in total confidence to CSSIW investigators, and I am sure that Graham Jones would also be receptive. pccwatcher
  • Score: 0

9:44am Wed 18 Jul 12

pccwatcher says...

martin9325 - your comment suggests that you are either on the sidelines with no real knowledge of what has been going on behind the closed doors of County Hall or a supporter/member of the 'Independent Party' ensconced there. No matter how much spin is put on the current inquiries nothing can cover up the fact that there has been a catalogue of mismanagement which has directly resulted in children in Pembrokeshire being put at risk by persons in their employ. Your comment reflects the total disregard for wellbeing and feelings of those on the receiving end of PCC's failings, coming as it does after the quote above you.
Saisneg - can I suggest that if you or any of your colleagues have anything that needs to be said/brought to light, you can send information in total confidence to CSSIW investigators, and I am sure that Graham Jones would also be receptive.
martin9325 - your comment suggests that you are either on the sidelines with no real knowledge of what has been going on behind the closed doors of County Hall or a supporter/member of the 'Independent Party' ensconced there. No matter how much spin is put on the current inquiries nothing can cover up the fact that there has been a catalogue of mismanagement which has directly resulted in children in Pembrokeshire being put at risk by persons in their employ. Your comment reflects the total disregard for wellbeing and feelings of those on the receiving end of PCC's failings, coming as it does after the quote above you. Saisneg - can I suggest that if you or any of your colleagues have anything that needs to be said/brought to light, you can send information in total confidence to CSSIW investigators, and I am sure that Graham Jones would also be receptive. pccwatcher
  • Score: 0

9:54am Wed 18 Jul 12

Suebound says...

The reason that I have bought wind turbines into it is because young vulnerable people, some with disabilities are currently being able to use the facilities of riding horses at Bell vue farm in ludchurch thanks to the Scourfields . Now that the Princes gate water turbines are going up within 250 yards of this facility it will become too risky for these children to continue to ride. That is another example of PCC looking after the interests of it's community NOT!
The reason that I have bought wind turbines into it is because young vulnerable people, some with disabilities are currently being able to use the facilities of riding horses at Bell vue farm in ludchurch thanks to the Scourfields . Now that the Princes gate water turbines are going up within 250 yards of this facility it will become too risky for these children to continue to ride. That is another example of PCC looking after the interests of it's community NOT! Suebound
  • Score: 0

10:01am Wed 18 Jul 12

KeanJo says...

It is high time we had a detailed response from the responsible officers - the Chief Executive and the Director of Education.
It is high time we had a detailed response from the responsible officers - the Chief Executive and the Director of Education. KeanJo
  • Score: 0

10:13am Wed 18 Jul 12

great gran says...

Sounds to me that County Hall has gone completely mad and is now a accident waiting to happen, due to its own management or not in the past.
The young and vulnerable are being let down right left and centre and nobody seems to care enough to put things right. The fact they get to eighteen yrs old and are then out in the wide world on their own is another hard fact that nobody seems to care about. Suddenly due to their age they are no longer their concern?
Sounds to me that County Hall has gone completely mad and is now a accident waiting to happen, due to its own management or not in the past. The young and vulnerable are being let down right left and centre and nobody seems to care enough to put things right. The fact they get to eighteen yrs old and are then out in the wide world on their own is another hard fact that nobody seems to care about. Suddenly due to their age they are no longer their concern? great gran
  • Score: 0

10:46am Wed 18 Jul 12

pccwatcher says...

The only response you will EVER get from the CEO and directors (and don't forget one of the main antagonists retired in 2011 and will more than likely pass under the radar) will be one of indignation and denial. This survival MO is echoed down through all ranks with 'management' in the job title (within the Educ Dept). I'm unable to fathom whether this is due to intimidation or simply careful, selective screening of candidates applying for management posts.
The only response you will EVER get from the CEO and directors (and don't forget one of the main antagonists retired in 2011 and will more than likely pass under the radar) will be one of indignation and denial. This survival MO is echoed down through all ranks with 'management' in the job title (within the Educ Dept). I'm unable to fathom whether this is due to intimidation or simply careful, selective screening of candidates applying for management posts. pccwatcher
  • Score: 0

1:43pm Wed 18 Jul 12

martin9325 says...

pccwatcher I am not saying that there has not been a catalogue of mismanagement, of course there has and everyone knows and accepts that, however the most recent handling of this by the minister appears to me to be more about discrediting PCC than about concerns that the problem that undoubtedly existed is not being properly resolved.
pccwatcher I am not saying that there has not been a catalogue of mismanagement, of course there has and everyone knows and accepts that, however the most recent handling of this by the minister appears to me to be more about discrediting PCC than about concerns that the problem that undoubtedly existed is not being properly resolved. martin9325
  • Score: 0

4:44pm Wed 18 Jul 12

saisneg says...

martin9325 wrote:
This spat has little to do with children and everything to do with Cardiff wanting to get rid of Pembrokeshire as an entitity and combine it with Ceredigion and Carmathenshire to recreate Dyfed.
Martin, perhaps that's true - I wouldn't know - but as someone who works with young people in Pembrokeshire, let me assure you that this "spat" is addressing some very real problems. If it is about discrediting PCC, then PCC seem to be doing their damndest to make that job as easy as possible.

And, in any case, it doesn't alter the reality - there is something very wrong happening with safeguarding of young people in Pembrokeshire.
[quote][p][bold]martin9325[/bold] wrote: This spat has little to do with children and everything to do with Cardiff wanting to get rid of Pembrokeshire as an entitity and combine it with Ceredigion and Carmathenshire to recreate Dyfed.[/p][/quote]Martin, perhaps that's true - I wouldn't know - but as someone who works with young people in Pembrokeshire, let me assure you that this "spat" is addressing some very real problems. If it is about discrediting PCC, then PCC seem to be doing their damndest to make that job as easy as possible. And, in any case, it doesn't alter the reality - there is something very wrong happening with safeguarding of young people in Pembrokeshire. saisneg
  • Score: 0

6:12pm Wed 18 Jul 12

great gran says...

Saesneg hear hear! Someone singing from the same hymnsheet at long last
If we do not speak up for the young and vulnerable now then where is our future?.
Saesneg hear hear! Someone singing from the same hymnsheet at long last If we do not speak up for the young and vulnerable now then where is our future?. great gran
  • Score: 0

6:56pm Wed 18 Jul 12

Tttoommy says...

Just a reminder to you that we have the highest paid Chief Exec in Wales, tens of thousands more than the PM because of the "responsibility"- and what do councillors spout - we have to pay the most to get the best - If one didn't laugh one would cry!
Just a reminder to you that we have the highest paid Chief Exec in Wales, tens of thousands more than the PM because of the "responsibility"- and what do councillors spout - we have to pay the most to get the best - If one didn't laugh one would cry! Tttoommy
  • Score: 0

12:08am Thu 19 Jul 12

i give up says...

martin9325 wrote:
This spat has little to do with children and everything to do with Cardiff wanting to get rid of Pembrokeshire as an entitity and combine it with Ceredigion and Carmathenshire to recreate Dyfed.
Till very recently I also was involved with caring for children and young people within Pembrokeshire....How
ever If I felt there was a problem with a safe guarding issue..............I would address it with the relevant persons............ and it would be looked into and dealt with.......Not just "grumble" on a website anonymously So if I had real concerns............
I'd shout it loud and clear. no matter what it might do to my job.........but thats the problem see above quote.......I so agree with whats happening...........
.the Welsh Assembly have a problem with Pembrobkeshire!!!! If someone has the evidence to prove otherwise...........
.show it
[quote][p][bold]martin9325[/bold] wrote: This spat has little to do with children and everything to do with Cardiff wanting to get rid of Pembrokeshire as an entitity and combine it with Ceredigion and Carmathenshire to recreate Dyfed.[/p][/quote]Till very recently I also was involved with caring for children and young people within Pembrokeshire....How ever If I felt there was a problem with a safe guarding issue..............I would address it with the relevant persons............ and it would be looked into and dealt with.......Not just "grumble" on a website anonymously So if I had real concerns............ I'd shout it loud and clear. no matter what it might do to my job.........but thats the problem see above quote.......I so agree with whats happening........... .the Welsh Assembly have a problem with Pembrobkeshire!!!! If someone has the evidence to prove otherwise........... .show it i give up
  • Score: 0

8:27am Thu 19 Jul 12

Tttoommy says...

To - I give up ,
what world do you live in - you complain and you're a trouble maker, get a bad reputation - you push and the bosses make things "difficult" so you're forced to leave - complain elsewhere and you're a whistle blower.
I would ask you to look at the facts rather than do the - "You're always pickin' on me" card
To - I give up , what world do you live in - you complain and you're a trouble maker, get a bad reputation - you push and the bosses make things "difficult" so you're forced to leave - complain elsewhere and you're a whistle blower. I would ask you to look at the facts rather than do the - "You're always pickin' on me" card Tttoommy
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Thu 19 Jul 12

Tttoommy says...

http://www.yourlocal
guardian.co.uk/news/
9825816.Council_boss
_quits_after_scathin
g_Ofsted_report/?ref
=twtrec

so some council folk WILL fall on their swords rather than pocket the cash and get their spin doctors to tell the press we've learnt blah blah blah
http://www.yourlocal guardian.co.uk/news/ 9825816.Council_boss _quits_after_scathin g_Ofsted_report/?ref =twtrec so some council folk WILL fall on their swords rather than pocket the cash and get their spin doctors to tell the press we've learnt blah blah blah Tttoommy
  • Score: 0

6:21pm Thu 19 Jul 12

pccwatcher says...

'i give up' - I'm afraid that you're out voted here. I agree with Tttoommy and you do appear rather naive with regards to the goings on in County Hall. You don't make it clear whether you are an x-PCC employee, but I'm genuinely glad that you feel your concerns have been addressed in the past.
The problem is that this isn't the case for a number of PCC employees - all professionally qualified, experienced workers. Over the past few years numerous child protection concerns have been brought to the attention of PCC management, each time resulting in a totally inadequate response. The long overdue sackings that have happened very recently are only due to the direct involvement of the Welsh Assembly after the CSSIW/Estyn Report. This would tend to suggest that the Welsh Assembly has higher concerns than merely Pembrokeshire bashing. There has been no forum available within PCC in the past (there still isn't - hence blogging) to voice concerns about the handling of child protection issues by the council. Front line workers are very much 'whipped in' and any dissension is dealt with swiftly. Sacking of dissenters HAS occured. Complaints about the organisation (particularly from within) are not welcomed. PCC image is paramount and appears with certain individuals to out way concerns regarding child protection. You really do PCC workers an injustice with your comments.
Finally, it's worth pointing out that there are child protection issues which reflect negatively on PCC (i.e. involving PCC employees) and those which don't. Perhaps that explains the differences in response that we seem to have encountered! If so, rather cynical wouldn't you say?
'i give up' - I'm afraid that you're out voted here. I agree with Tttoommy and you do appear rather naive with regards to the goings on in County Hall. You don't make it clear whether you are an x-PCC employee, but I'm genuinely glad that you feel your concerns have been addressed in the past. The problem is that this isn't the case for a number of PCC employees - all professionally qualified, experienced workers. Over the past few years numerous child protection concerns have been brought to the attention of PCC management, each time resulting in a totally inadequate response. The long overdue sackings that have happened very recently are only due to the direct involvement of the Welsh Assembly after the CSSIW/Estyn Report. This would tend to suggest that the Welsh Assembly has higher concerns than merely Pembrokeshire bashing. There has been no forum available within PCC in the past (there still isn't - hence blogging) to voice concerns about the handling of child protection issues by the council. Front line workers are very much 'whipped in' and any dissension is dealt with swiftly. Sacking of dissenters HAS occured. Complaints about the organisation (particularly from within) are not welcomed. PCC image is paramount and appears with certain individuals to out way concerns regarding child protection. You really do PCC workers an injustice with your comments. Finally, it's worth pointing out that there are child protection issues which reflect negatively on PCC (i.e. involving PCC employees) and those which don't. Perhaps that explains the differences in response that we seem to have encountered! If so, rather cynical wouldn't you say? pccwatcher
  • Score: 0

6:30pm Thu 19 Jul 12

saisneg says...

i give up wrote:
martin9325 wrote:
This spat has little to do with children and everything to do with Cardiff wanting to get rid of Pembrokeshire as an entitity and combine it with Ceredigion and Carmathenshire to recreate Dyfed.
Till very recently I also was involved with caring for children and young people within Pembrokeshire....How

ever If I felt there was a problem with a safe guarding issue..............I would address it with the relevant persons............ and it would be looked into and dealt with.......Not just "grumble" on a website anonymously So if I had real concerns............

I'd shout it loud and clear. no matter what it might do to my job.........but thats the problem see above quote.......I so agree with whats happening...........

.the Welsh Assembly have a problem with Pembrobkeshire!!!! If someone has the evidence to prove otherwise...........

.show it
How do you know that the people here who are complaining about PCC aren't addressing it with the relevant persons? Had it occurred to you that perhaps the reason that they're grumbling about it anonymously on a website is because they don't feel their concerns are being properly addressed elsewhere?

You ask for evidence to prove that the WA don't have a problem with Pembrokeshire, despite the fact that there is plenty of very real evidence that PCC are dropping the ball significantly on child protection - and have admitted as much.

How about YOU provide some evidence to support YOUR claim that this is all some great conspiracy against Pembrokeshire by the Assembly?
[quote][p][bold]i give up[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]martin9325[/bold] wrote: This spat has little to do with children and everything to do with Cardiff wanting to get rid of Pembrokeshire as an entitity and combine it with Ceredigion and Carmathenshire to recreate Dyfed.[/p][/quote]Till very recently I also was involved with caring for children and young people within Pembrokeshire....How ever If I felt there was a problem with a safe guarding issue..............I would address it with the relevant persons............ and it would be looked into and dealt with.......Not just "grumble" on a website anonymously So if I had real concerns............ I'd shout it loud and clear. no matter what it might do to my job.........but thats the problem see above quote.......I so agree with whats happening........... .the Welsh Assembly have a problem with Pembrobkeshire!!!! If someone has the evidence to prove otherwise........... .show it[/p][/quote]How do you know that the people here who are complaining about PCC aren't addressing it with the relevant persons? Had it occurred to you that perhaps the reason that they're grumbling about it anonymously on a website is because they don't feel their concerns are being properly addressed elsewhere? You ask for evidence to prove that the WA don't have a problem with Pembrokeshire, despite the fact that there is plenty of very real evidence that PCC are dropping the ball significantly on child protection - and have admitted as much. How about YOU provide some evidence to support YOUR claim that this is all some great conspiracy against Pembrokeshire by the Assembly? saisneg
  • Score: 0

11:33pm Thu 19 Jul 12

Hyper-injunctions says...

Yeah! Also, what's wrong with grumbling anonymously on the internet anyway?
@'i give up'-Is this the first time you've seen the internet?

(I wish he'd stop saying 'the internet')


The internet.
Yeah! Also, what's wrong with grumbling anonymously on the internet anyway? @'i give up'-Is this the first time you've seen the internet? (I wish he'd stop saying 'the internet') The internet. Hyper-injunctions
  • Score: 0

12:41pm Fri 20 Jul 12

childpotential says...

I have children in a local secondary school and I have grave concerns over the day to day activities in their school. A number of serious issues, why should any child be afraid to go to school? The YP act for Pembs reckons it bases its content on the UN policy for the child, with statements such as 'education must develop the individual potential of every child', this is not happening in this school. There have already been a number of YP committing suicide, every other child reports serious incidents of bullying. I know the teachers must be distressed as well, they call the children in this school lazy! Do they know what happens to the cognitive ability of a child's brain when under stress? Maybe they need to seriously realise that happy and contented children can and will work and study. Upset and stressed and angry children cannot!!!!! How can I report all of these incidents so that they get directly to Leighton Andrews avoiding the senior people in PCC who I am sorry but are on a daily basis covering up a host of very serious issues and children continue to be at risk. our chidren must be helped before we have any more lives lost because people care more about money and their jobs than the welfare of our children....
I have children in a local secondary school and I have grave concerns over the day to day activities in their school. A number of serious issues, why should any child be afraid to go to school? The YP act for Pembs reckons it bases its content on the UN policy for the child, with statements such as 'education must develop the individual potential of every child', this is not happening in this school. There have already been a number of YP committing suicide, every other child reports serious incidents of bullying. I know the teachers must be distressed as well, they call the children in this school lazy! Do they know what happens to the cognitive ability of a child's brain when under stress? Maybe they need to seriously realise that happy and contented children can and will work and study. Upset and stressed and angry children cannot!!!!! How can I report all of these incidents so that they get directly to Leighton Andrews avoiding the senior people in PCC who I am sorry but are on a daily basis covering up a host of very serious issues and children continue to be at risk. our chidren must be helped before we have any more lives lost because people care more about money and their jobs than the welfare of our children.... childpotential
  • Score: 0

1:02pm Fri 20 Jul 12

philipw says...

childpotential wrote:
I have children in a local secondary school and I have grave concerns over the day to day activities in their school. A number of serious issues, why should any child be afraid to go to school? The YP act for Pembs reckons it bases its content on the UN policy for the child, with statements such as 'education must develop the individual potential of every child', this is not happening in this school. There have already been a number of YP committing suicide, every other child reports serious incidents of bullying. I know the teachers must be distressed as well, they call the children in this school lazy! Do they know what happens to the cognitive ability of a child's brain when under stress? Maybe they need to seriously realise that happy and contented children can and will work and study. Upset and stressed and angry children cannot!!!!! How can I report all of these incidents so that they get directly to Leighton Andrews avoiding the senior people in PCC who I am sorry but are on a daily basis covering up a host of very serious issues and children continue to be at risk. our chidren must be helped before we have any more lives lost because people care more about money and their jobs than the welfare of our children....
Here's an email link. I think you will find he's a pretty decent guy.
http://www.leightona
ndrews.com/#!contact
/c24vq
[quote][p][bold]childpotential[/bold] wrote: I have children in a local secondary school and I have grave concerns over the day to day activities in their school. A number of serious issues, why should any child be afraid to go to school? The YP act for Pembs reckons it bases its content on the UN policy for the child, with statements such as 'education must develop the individual potential of every child', this is not happening in this school. There have already been a number of YP committing suicide, every other child reports serious incidents of bullying. I know the teachers must be distressed as well, they call the children in this school lazy! Do they know what happens to the cognitive ability of a child's brain when under stress? Maybe they need to seriously realise that happy and contented children can and will work and study. Upset and stressed and angry children cannot!!!!! How can I report all of these incidents so that they get directly to Leighton Andrews avoiding the senior people in PCC who I am sorry but are on a daily basis covering up a host of very serious issues and children continue to be at risk. our chidren must be helped before we have any more lives lost because people care more about money and their jobs than the welfare of our children....[/p][/quote]Here's an email link. I think you will find he's a pretty decent guy. http://www.leightona ndrews.com/#!contact /c24vq philipw
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree