Pet owners warned over dangers of anti-freeze
9:38am Thursday 13th September 2012 in News
Dyfed-Powys Police is warning cat owners to be vigilant following the deaths of three pets in the Camrose area during the past month.
Three cats have died in the locality in the past month, and a vet believes they died as a result of a toxic subsidence – probably anti-freeze.
The cats all belonged to one person, which has left the owner understandably distraught. The incident has been reported to the RSPCA.
Most people are unaware of the hidden dangers to pets from anti-freeze poisoning – and many animals which ingest even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death, especially in cats.
PCSO Jude Parr said: “Animal cruelty will not be tolerated. This is a terrible crime against a defenceless animal.
“In addition to investigating this offence, we also want members of the public to be aware of a few safety tips to ensure the pets in our county remain safe.”
Dyfed-Powys Police has issued this safety advice:
- Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from pets and their environment.
- Clean up any spills immediately, no matter how small, and make sure pets cannot access the area until it is clean and safe.
- Always dispose of antifreeze and water coolant safely and responsibly.
PCSO Parr added: “Signs of anti-freeze poisoning can start to show as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen. So the sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival.
“If you are aware of people involved in deliberately poisoning animals we urge you to contact police.”
To contact Dyfed-Powys Police call 101 – alternatively you can call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.