Demand to remedy "long-standing disgrace”
5:10pm Sunday 21st October 2012 in News
There are calls for legal action to be taken against the landlord of a building block in Milford Haven town centre described as a ‘tremendous eyesore’.
At last Monday night’s Public Works and Planning meeting, Councillor Tony Eden said Motor World at 70A Charles Street had been forced to rope off part of the shop after water came through the roof.
“It is an absolute disgrace and it is becoming a safety hazard. It is a tremendous eyesore in Charles Street,” said Cllr John Roberts, the committee chairman.
He added: “It is a long-standing disgrace.”
Milford Haven mayor, Cllr Guy Woodham, said it was hugely disappointing that a business in Charles Street is suffering as a result of landlord neglect.
‘The block where Motor World is located has been known for some years as one in desperate need of repair and while I am aware efforts have been made to try and address the issues it is clearly now a time at which firm legal action needs to be instigated to enforce responsibilities that exist on landlords to look after both the property and their occupiers.
“Allowing buildings to fall into such states of disrepair will do nothing to support town centre regeneration, in fact it will have the complete opposite effect,” he said.
The committee agreed to write to Pembrokeshire County Council complaining about the disrepair of the building and asking for immediate action to be taken as a matter of urgency.
A county council spokesman confirmed it owned the freehold of the building but added: “It is let on a long lease to an Irish company, which is responsible for maintenance and repairs under the terms of the lease.
“We have been trying to encourage the company to improve the building but unfortunately these approaches have proved unsuccessful.
“We are currently reviewing the way forward.”
Motorworld confirmed it is continuing to trade as normal but refused to comment further at this time.