BREAKING: Planning permission for beautiful north Pembrokeshire roundhouse is REFUSED

FAMILY HOME: Charlie Hague and Megan Williams with son Eli. PICTURE: Western Telegraph.

The roundhouse now faces demolition. PICTURE: Western Telegraph.

First published in County News
Last updated

A controversial north Pembrokeshire eco home, which has gained support from around the globe, may have to be demolished.

County councillors backed officers' recommendation to refuse a retrospective application to keep the roundhouse near Glandwr this morning (Tuesday).

Members voted by 9-4 for the recommendation.

Charlie Hague and Megan Williams had gained huge support for their fight to keep their unique, self-built roundhouse, but could now be forced to tear it down.

The one-bedroom grass-roofed house was built without planning permission, and was issued with an enforcement notice in December 2012.

An appeal was lodged and dismissed in July 2013.

The officers’ report stated: “The proposal represents an unjustified residential development in countryside, contrary to the rural restraint policy of the Local Development Plan.”

The report continued: “Despite its relatively low visual impact, it erodes the rural character of its surroundings and represents an unsustainable form of development in terms of distance from day-to-day facilities.”

Officers also state that the proposal “fails to demonstrate that it constitutes an exception” under the One Planet Development initiative, which looks to enhance environmental quality.”

Megan and Charlie built the house using local materials in Glandwr in 2012, and moved into the house just before their son Eli was born.

A total of 100,000 people have so far signed an online petition supporting the couple’s application to keep their home.

Council response:

Councillor Rob Summons, Cabinet Member for Planning and Sustainability, said that despite the building’s relatively low visual impact it eroded the rural character of its surroundings and represented  an unsustainable form of development in terms of distance from day to day facilities.”

“Planning is a rigorous process with clear guidelines and if it is to be  enforced fairly has to be upheld by everyone,” he said.

The applicants now have six months within which to lodge an appeal against today’s decision.

Pembrokeshire County Council originally issued an enforcement notice against the roundhouse in December 2012 because it had been built without planning permission in open countryside and was therefore contrary to planning policy.

An appeal against this decision was refused by a Welsh Government Planning Inspector last July.

The inspector said the benefits of the development did not outweigh the harm to the character and appearance of the countryside.

Comments (43)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:04pm Tue 29 Jul 14

JonnyBlueJeans says...

A very sorry outcome for the couple
A very sorry outcome for the couple JonnyBlueJeans
  • Score: -9

12:07pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Paul C. says...

The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.
The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it. Paul C.
  • Score: 15

1:43pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Gogledd says...

I think what gets most of us is dual standards...one law for one and one law for another.
I think what gets most of us is dual standards...one law for one and one law for another. Gogledd
  • Score: 20

2:13pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Electra1 says...

I think it is beautiful.
I think it is beautiful. Electra1
  • Score: 19

2:20pm Tue 29 Jul 14

williamsmum says...

One law for the chief exe and one for those breaking the councils rules.

Disgraceful Pembs PCC it really is.

Need I say more!
One law for the chief exe and one for those breaking the councils rules. Disgraceful Pembs PCC it really is. Need I say more! williamsmum
  • Score: 28

2:32pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Electra1 says...

williamsmum wrote:
One law for the chief exe and one for those breaking the councils rules.

Disgraceful Pembs PCC it really is.

Need I say more!
Right on Williamsmum.
[quote][p][bold]williamsmum[/bold] wrote: One law for the chief exe and one for those breaking the councils rules. Disgraceful Pembs PCC it really is. Need I say more![/p][/quote]Right on Williamsmum. Electra1
  • Score: 4

4:07pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Hyper-injunctions says...

My comment was removed.
The gist was if they wanted to build without planning permission they should have had a relative who was a councillor or at least be members of the local Masonic lodge.
Can't think why that was removed.
My comment was removed. The gist was if they wanted to build without planning permission they should have had a relative who was a councillor or at least be members of the local Masonic lodge. Can't think why that was removed. Hyper-injunctions
  • Score: 62

4:11pm Tue 29 Jul 14

enthusiasticmisfit says...

I agree the house looks really beautiful and I'm a big supporter of eco-dwellings (my dream is to live off-grid in a cob house) but how safe is it in reality with no building control involvement, etc- if it were to fail in someway and hurt someone I'm sure the people in support of it would soon turn their attention to asking why PCC allowed the building permission to remain...
I agree the house looks really beautiful and I'm a big supporter of eco-dwellings (my dream is to live off-grid in a cob house) but how safe is it in reality with no building control involvement, etc- if it were to fail in someway and hurt someone I'm sure the people in support of it would soon turn their attention to asking why PCC allowed the building permission to remain... enthusiasticmisfit
  • Score: 3

4:21pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Electra1 says...

Hyper-injunctions wrote:
My comment was removed.
The gist was if they wanted to build without planning permission they should have had a relative who was a councillor or at least be members of the local Masonic lodge.
Can't think why that was removed.
I don't know why they removed it either...........the truth always hurts. Are these messages moded (someone who checks them)?
[quote][p][bold]Hyper-injunctions[/bold] wrote: My comment was removed. The gist was if they wanted to build without planning permission they should have had a relative who was a councillor or at least be members of the local Masonic lodge. Can't think why that was removed.[/p][/quote]I don't know why they removed it either...........the truth always hurts. Are these messages moded (someone who checks them)? Electra1
  • Score: 4

7:06pm Tue 29 Jul 14

williamsmum says...

Hyper-injunctions wrote:
My comment was removed.
The gist was if they wanted to build without planning permission they should have had a relative who was a councillor or at least be members of the local Masonic lodge.
Can't think why that was removed.
You've put into words what most of us think, obviously there's quite a lot of truth in that otherwise why would your original comment have been removed!

Western T - are you in on it too then!
[quote][p][bold]Hyper-injunctions[/bold] wrote: My comment was removed. The gist was if they wanted to build without planning permission they should have had a relative who was a councillor or at least be members of the local Masonic lodge. Can't think why that was removed.[/p][/quote]You've put into words what most of us think, obviously there's quite a lot of truth in that otherwise why would your original comment have been removed! Western T - are you in on it too then! williamsmum
  • Score: 2

9:36pm Tue 29 Jul 14

hardcheese says...

I can't believe what has happened to this young family. Have non of you remembered the house that broke all the regulations in Newport Pembrokeshire, the planners didn't have that pulled down, one law for one and one law for another. I find it difficult to understand Pembrokeshire C C the most corrupt council in Wales...
I can't believe what has happened to this young family. Have non of you remembered the house that broke all the regulations in Newport Pembrokeshire, the planners didn't have that pulled down, one law for one and one law for another. I find it difficult to understand Pembrokeshire C C the most corrupt council in Wales... hardcheese
  • Score: 17

10:50pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Tttoommy says...

Paul C. wrote:
The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.
there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :(
[quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.[/p][/quote]there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :( Tttoommy
  • Score: 2

10:55pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Tttoommy says...

Electra1 wrote:
williamsmum wrote:
One law for the chief exe and one for those breaking the councils rules.

Disgraceful Pembs PCC it really is.

Need I say more!
Right on Williamsmum.
Let's not forget the retrospective planning permission for certain councillors, indeed only more proof it's one rule for them (or actually NO rules for them!)
[quote][p][bold]Electra1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]williamsmum[/bold] wrote: One law for the chief exe and one for those breaking the councils rules. Disgraceful Pembs PCC it really is. Need I say more![/p][/quote]Right on Williamsmum.[/p][/quote]Let's not forget the retrospective planning permission for certain councillors, indeed only more proof it's one rule for them (or actually NO rules for them!) Tttoommy
  • Score: 12

10:57pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Health fighter says...

I hope that the names of the members voting against will be published so that at the next election th electorate will know what to do and vote the miserable **** off the council.
I hope that the names of the members voting against will be published so that at the next election th electorate will know what to do and vote the miserable **** off the council. Health fighter
  • Score: 9

11:36pm Tue 29 Jul 14

daryl1957 says...

A young couple trying to get on in life by thinking 'outside the norm'......we, the elected politicians with a great track record for corruption and deceit cannot allow these people to function...they must conform....they must conform....destroy..
..destroy
A young couple trying to get on in life by thinking 'outside the norm'......we, the elected politicians with a great track record for corruption and deceit cannot allow these people to function...they must conform....they must conform....destroy.. ..destroy daryl1957
  • Score: 9

11:39pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Welshman23 says...

One rule for us and another for the a Kremlin hierarchy.
Yes they broke the law so did other people in the Kremlin , the just had a slap on the wrist.
Shame on you let's hope you get your comeuppance you know who you are.
Councillor Summons member of planning the mind boggles.
One rule for us and another for the a Kremlin hierarchy. Yes they broke the law so did other people in the Kremlin , the just had a slap on the wrist. Shame on you let's hope you get your comeuppance you know who you are. Councillor Summons member of planning the mind boggles. Welshman23
  • Score: 7

2:07am Wed 30 Jul 14

1Bigbeast says...

Where is the link for the online petition?
Where is the link for the online petition? 1Bigbeast
  • Score: 2

6:45am Wed 30 Jul 14

williamsmum says...

I have to smile a lot of these excellent posts being give the minus vote....by whom I wonder!!!!
Have you all forgotten the atrocious Telly Tubby house, which was given permission for, but then I guess that person was one of the 'in' crowd in whatever group they belonged to!
Its sickening. PCC should be applauding this young couple for their build. Yes, they should have asked for PP but in the light of what was built they should be granted PP. And NO it will not open the doors for us all to do the same. Use your common sense (sorry that's in short supply in PCC - I forgot).
On the news last night following the broadcast about PCC not giving retrospective PP there more or less followed an item re CAT and how that all started out.

Doh ! Pembs PCC, you make yourself look right fools if only you stood back & took a look. To much back slapping and hand shaking going on methinks.
I have to smile a lot of these excellent posts being give the minus vote....by whom I wonder!!!! Have you all forgotten the atrocious Telly Tubby house, which was given permission for, but then I guess that person was one of the 'in' crowd in whatever group they belonged to! Its sickening. PCC should be applauding this young couple for their build. Yes, they should have asked for PP but in the light of what was built they should be granted PP. And NO it will not open the doors for us all to do the same. Use your common sense (sorry that's in short supply in PCC - I forgot). On the news last night following the broadcast about PCC not giving retrospective PP there more or less followed an item re CAT and how that all started out. Doh ! Pembs PCC, you make yourself look right fools if only you stood back & took a look. To much back slapping and hand shaking going on methinks. williamsmum
  • Score: 1

7:07am Wed 30 Jul 14

Paul C. says...

Tttoommy wrote:
Paul C. wrote:
The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.
there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :(
I am neither but I have built my own house and I know what a house builder has to go through to get planning permission and how tough it is to get past building regulations and code 3 certification. You can not allow anybody to build without planning permission, they have NO planning permission, NO code 3 certificate, NO building regulations, NO warranty, and they have not paid the community infrastructure levy which must be paid on every new build property.
[quote][p][bold]Tttoommy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.[/p][/quote]there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :([/p][/quote]I am neither but I have built my own house and I know what a house builder has to go through to get planning permission and how tough it is to get past building regulations and code 3 certification. You can not allow anybody to build without planning permission, they have NO planning permission, NO code 3 certificate, NO building regulations, NO warranty, and they have not paid the community infrastructure levy which must be paid on every new build property. Paul C.
  • Score: 35

8:09am Wed 30 Jul 14

Indeview J Hudson says...

Of course, solar panel farms have far less visual impact and do not erode the rural character of the surroundings.

I have been struck by the "greying" of our countryside.
Of course, solar panel farms have far less visual impact and do not erode the rural character of the surroundings. I have been struck by the "greying" of our countryside. Indeview J Hudson
  • Score: -6

8:58am Wed 30 Jul 14

call me Mr Meldrew says...

Two words people " no planning " end of conversation and no im not a freemason or a member of PCC, just a pembrokeshire resident who has to obtain planning permission for anything i wish to do . Join the real world and follow real world procedures like planning , building control etc.
Two words people " no planning " end of conversation and no im not a freemason or a member of PCC, just a pembrokeshire resident who has to obtain planning permission for anything i wish to do . Join the real world and follow real world procedures like planning , building control etc. call me Mr Meldrew
  • Score: 25

9:18am Wed 30 Jul 14

Paul C. says...

call me Mr Meldrew wrote:
Two words people " no planning " end of conversation and no im not a freemason or a member of PCC, just a pembrokeshire resident who has to obtain planning permission for anything i wish to do . Join the real world and follow real world procedures like planning , building control etc.
Yes well said, there can not be one rule for us and one rule for so called eco builders, if you want to build a house then you must first obtain planning permission....those who support this eye sore would soon complain to the council if one sprung up next door to them - without planning permission.
[quote][p][bold]call me Mr Meldrew[/bold] wrote: Two words people " no planning " end of conversation and no im not a freemason or a member of PCC, just a pembrokeshire resident who has to obtain planning permission for anything i wish to do . Join the real world and follow real world procedures like planning , building control etc.[/p][/quote]Yes well said, there can not be one rule for us and one rule for so called eco builders, if you want to build a house then you must first obtain planning permission....those who support this eye sore would soon complain to the council if one sprung up next door to them - without planning permission. Paul C.
  • Score: 20

9:24am Wed 30 Jul 14

vee-tail says...

This fills me not with sadness but hot rage! This is a disconnect between two different realities. Some of us don't want anything to do with the sick society that these self serving councillors inhabit. How dare they pass their judgement on our choice of homes. The warrior in me itches for a fight with the men (and women!) in suits, given power over us. Yet the decision to fight is not mine to take ... the appropriate response is up to Charlie and Meg, and the Celtic community. This is not some petty issue like change of use of a garage, or 'wrong' shape of a window. This is not about conformist sheep like people, living in their terraced rabbit warrens in towns and cities. This is about the descendants of the Celts, building and living on their own Celtic land with no environmental or visual impact on anyone outside. I am not too old to join an organised defence, and given time there could be a solid mass of humanity standing guard 24/7 and generating lots of bad publicity for PCC. But those like me with hot blood pumping wait, and will accept whatever C & M feel is the appropriate response.
This fills me not with sadness but hot rage! This is a disconnect between two different realities. Some of us don't want anything to do with the sick society that these self serving councillors inhabit. How dare they pass their judgement on our choice of homes. The warrior in me itches for a fight with the men (and women!) in suits, given power over us. Yet the decision to fight is not mine to take ... the appropriate response is up to Charlie and Meg, and the Celtic community. This is not some petty issue like change of use of a garage, or 'wrong' shape of a window. This is not about conformist sheep like people, living in their terraced rabbit warrens in towns and cities. This is about the descendants of the Celts, building and living on their own Celtic land with no environmental or visual impact on anyone outside. I am not too old to join an organised defence, and given time there could be a solid mass of humanity standing guard 24/7 and generating lots of bad publicity for PCC. But those like me with hot blood pumping wait, and will accept whatever C & M feel is the appropriate response. vee-tail
  • Score: -12

4:34pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Theodore1 says...

I am an old man, and believe it or not I grew up in a smokey town which was built before planning regulations. Then Adolf Hitler destroyed quite a lot of it. So In the late nineteen forties the concept of building a better Britain came into being: it was a dream of a Utopia, but it has, alas, spawned such a welter of legislation and restriction that any one of today is obliged to build to strict rules.
So imagination and creativity are stifled. Now we are sad and sorry to see the loss of a beautiful dwelling and two sad young people with a child.
Shades of the wicked squire turning the impoverished peasant out on the street!
I am an old man, and believe it or not I grew up in a smokey town which was built before planning regulations. Then Adolf Hitler destroyed quite a lot of it. So In the late nineteen forties the concept of building a better Britain came into being: it was a dream of a Utopia, but it has, alas, spawned such a welter of legislation and restriction that any one of today is obliged to build to strict rules. So imagination and creativity are stifled. Now we are sad and sorry to see the loss of a beautiful dwelling and two sad young people with a child. Shades of the wicked squire turning the impoverished peasant out on the street! Theodore1
  • Score: -6

4:50pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Welshman23 says...

1Bigbeast wrote:
Where is the link for the online petition?
End corruption in Pembrokeshire County Council | Campaigns by You
https://you.38degree
s.org.uk/.../end-cor
ruption-in-pembrokes
hire-county-c...
Bryn Parry Jones, the Chief Executive of Pembrokeshire County Council, is paid ... By submitting information you are agreeing to 38 Degrees keeping you ...
Here is the web site to register your vote.
[quote][p][bold]1Bigbeast[/bold] wrote: Where is the link for the online petition?[/p][/quote]End corruption in Pembrokeshire County Council | Campaigns by You https://you.38degree s.org.uk/.../end-cor ruption-in-pembrokes hire-county-c... Bryn Parry Jones, the Chief Executive of Pembrokeshire County Council, is paid ... By submitting information you are agreeing to 38 Degrees keeping you ... Here is the web site to register your vote. Welshman23
  • Score: -7

5:03pm Wed 30 Jul 14

JonnyBlueJeans says...

Gogledd wrote:
I think what gets most of us is dual standards...one law for one and one law for another.
What are you talking about?
[quote][p][bold]Gogledd[/bold] wrote: I think what gets most of us is dual standards...one law for one and one law for another.[/p][/quote]What are you talking about? JonnyBlueJeans
  • Score: -9

5:06pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Welshman23 says...

Paul C. wrote:
call me Mr Meldrew wrote:
Two words people " no planning " end of conversation and no im not a freemason or a member of PCC, just a pembrokeshire resident who has to obtain planning permission for anything i wish to do . Join the real world and follow real world procedures like planning , building control etc.
Yes well said, there can not be one rule for us and one rule for so called eco builders, if you want to build a house then you must first obtain planning permission....those who support this eye sore would soon complain to the council if one sprung up next door to them - without planning permission.
Nice to see new bloggers on the system Welcome.
Yes this couple broke the rules and should have applied for planning totally agree.
However here are some of the breaking of rules within the Kremlin recently.
Councillor builds a house for farming use and was given retrospective planning permission
Head of the Council Jamie Adams forgot to claim his expenses for 4 years, this was approved despite the rules saying all expenses had to be claimed within a 3 month period.
BPJ - paid his pension money direct to his salary the Welsh Audit deemed this to be wrong overturned by the councillors at a meeting.
BPJ - investigated by the police not once but twice, still in work not even suspended the reason being the councillors do not have the backbone to stand up to him.
Mik Smith- the recent child abuse was made aware to the council by a whistleblower the whole thing was swept under the carpet and has now been investigated.
BPJ has a car allowance bigger than the average wage in Pembrokeshire, and drives a Porsche and to rub salt into the wounds you and even pay his car insurance for his whole family.
The list goes on, so who else is breaking the law, get off your soap boxes and concentrate on the bigger issues.
Let the people where they live decide if it should be demolished.
[quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]call me Mr Meldrew[/bold] wrote: Two words people " no planning " end of conversation and no im not a freemason or a member of PCC, just a pembrokeshire resident who has to obtain planning permission for anything i wish to do . Join the real world and follow real world procedures like planning , building control etc.[/p][/quote]Yes well said, there can not be one rule for us and one rule for so called eco builders, if you want to build a house then you must first obtain planning permission....those who support this eye sore would soon complain to the council if one sprung up next door to them - without planning permission.[/p][/quote]Nice to see new bloggers on the system Welcome. Yes this couple broke the rules and should have applied for planning totally agree. However here are some of the breaking of rules within the Kremlin recently. Councillor builds a house for farming use and was given retrospective planning permission Head of the Council Jamie Adams forgot to claim his expenses for 4 years, this was approved despite the rules saying all expenses had to be claimed within a 3 month period. BPJ - paid his pension money direct to his salary the Welsh Audit deemed this to be wrong overturned by the councillors at a meeting. BPJ - investigated by the police not once but twice, still in work not even suspended the reason being the councillors do not have the backbone to stand up to him. Mik Smith- the recent child abuse was made aware to the council by a whistleblower the whole thing was swept under the carpet and has now been investigated. BPJ has a car allowance bigger than the average wage in Pembrokeshire, and drives a Porsche and to rub salt into the wounds you and even pay his car insurance for his whole family. The list goes on, so who else is breaking the law, get off your soap boxes and concentrate on the bigger issues. Let the people where they live decide if it should be demolished. Welshman23
  • Score: 1

5:11pm Wed 30 Jul 14

JonnyBlueJeans says...

hardcheese wrote:
I can't believe what has happened to this young family. Have non of you remembered the house that broke all the regulations in Newport Pembrokeshire, the planners didn't have that pulled down, one law for one and one law for another. I find it difficult to understand Pembrokeshire C C the most corrupt council in Wales...
If you take the emotion out of this and look at it clearly, this couple knew what they were doing when set about building without permission. They took a chance and got burned. Nobodies fault other than their own I'm afraid. The fact that it's a pretty house and they are a young couple with a child has no bearing on it. We have a planning process for a reason, like it or not
[quote][p][bold]hardcheese[/bold] wrote: I can't believe what has happened to this young family. Have non of you remembered the house that broke all the regulations in Newport Pembrokeshire, the planners didn't have that pulled down, one law for one and one law for another. I find it difficult to understand Pembrokeshire C C the most corrupt council in Wales...[/p][/quote]If you take the emotion out of this and look at it clearly, this couple knew what they were doing when set about building without permission. They took a chance and got burned. Nobodies fault other than their own I'm afraid. The fact that it's a pretty house and they are a young couple with a child has no bearing on it. We have a planning process for a reason, like it or not JonnyBlueJeans
  • Score: 23

5:36pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Gogledd says...

We live in a world that has gone mad. We live in a world where we grow perfect fruit, for perfect people, and the food that we throw away from our tables in the EU would feed the millions of starving people. Half of the world would consider this house to be a palace. They live in refugee camps or in what they can throw together in shanti towns through S America and Asia and call home. Do you think that my anscestors when they threw up my stone house worried about whether or not it complied with health and safety regulations.? They thanked God and just to be on the safe side, hid in the chimney fawr the body of a raven, a rope and an axe. The raven for good fortune, the axe to ward of evil spirits and the rope to bind the family together. The house still stands. I am not condeming or condoning the building of this round house, but I do think that we aught to start to try to put things into perspective for the sake of our grandchildren. We are slowly heading into an eara where we will have climate refugees from all over the world moving to places where there is water and greenery. The world needs to wake up.
We live in a world that has gone mad. We live in a world where we grow perfect fruit, for perfect people, and the food that we throw away from our tables in the EU would feed the millions of starving people. Half of the world would consider this house to be a palace. They live in refugee camps or in what they can throw together in shanti towns through S America and Asia and call home. Do you think that my anscestors when they threw up my stone house worried about whether or not it complied with health and safety regulations.? They thanked God and just to be on the safe side, hid in the chimney fawr the body of a raven, a rope and an axe. The raven for good fortune, the axe to ward of evil spirits and the rope to bind the family together. The house still stands. I am not condeming or condoning the building of this round house, but I do think that we aught to start to try to put things into perspective for the sake of our grandchildren. We are slowly heading into an eara where we will have climate refugees from all over the world moving to places where there is water and greenery. The world needs to wake up. Gogledd
  • Score: -8

6:08pm Wed 30 Jul 14

JonnyBlueJeans says...

Gogledd wrote:
We live in a world that has gone mad. We live in a world where we grow perfect fruit, for perfect people, and the food that we throw away from our tables in the EU would feed the millions of starving people. Half of the world would consider this house to be a palace. They live in refugee camps or in what they can throw together in shanti towns through S America and Asia and call home. Do you think that my anscestors when they threw up my stone house worried about whether or not it complied with health and safety regulations.? They thanked God and just to be on the safe side, hid in the chimney fawr the body of a raven, a rope and an axe. The raven for good fortune, the axe to ward of evil spirits and the rope to bind the family together. The house still stands. I am not condeming or condoning the building of this round house, but I do think that we aught to start to try to put things into perspective for the sake of our grandchildren. We are slowly heading into an eara where we will have climate refugees from all over the world moving to places where there is water and greenery. The world needs to wake up.
nonsense and not of any use to this debate
[quote][p][bold]Gogledd[/bold] wrote: We live in a world that has gone mad. We live in a world where we grow perfect fruit, for perfect people, and the food that we throw away from our tables in the EU would feed the millions of starving people. Half of the world would consider this house to be a palace. They live in refugee camps or in what they can throw together in shanti towns through S America and Asia and call home. Do you think that my anscestors when they threw up my stone house worried about whether or not it complied with health and safety regulations.? They thanked God and just to be on the safe side, hid in the chimney fawr the body of a raven, a rope and an axe. The raven for good fortune, the axe to ward of evil spirits and the rope to bind the family together. The house still stands. I am not condeming or condoning the building of this round house, but I do think that we aught to start to try to put things into perspective for the sake of our grandchildren. We are slowly heading into an eara where we will have climate refugees from all over the world moving to places where there is water and greenery. The world needs to wake up.[/p][/quote]nonsense and not of any use to this debate JonnyBlueJeans
  • Score: 11

6:51pm Wed 30 Jul 14

aprilmay says...

Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time.
The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.
Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time. The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law. aprilmay
  • Score: 14

7:06pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Tttoommy says...

Paul C. wrote:
Tttoommy wrote:
Paul C. wrote:
The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.
there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :(
I am neither but I have built my own house and I know what a house builder has to go through to get planning permission and how tough it is to get past building regulations and code 3 certification. You can not allow anybody to build without planning permission, they have NO planning permission, NO code 3 certificate, NO building regulations, NO warranty, and they have not paid the community infrastructure levy which must be paid on every new build property.
I was taught to be cautious but still I don't believe you
[quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tttoommy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.[/p][/quote]there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :([/p][/quote]I am neither but I have built my own house and I know what a house builder has to go through to get planning permission and how tough it is to get past building regulations and code 3 certification. You can not allow anybody to build without planning permission, they have NO planning permission, NO code 3 certificate, NO building regulations, NO warranty, and they have not paid the community infrastructure levy which must be paid on every new build property.[/p][/quote]I was taught to be cautious but still I don't believe you Tttoommy
  • Score: -10

7:11pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Tttoommy says...

JonnyBlueJeans wrote:
Gogledd wrote:
I think what gets most of us is dual standards...one law for one and one law for another.
What are you talking about?
Are you stupid?

I know Gogledd even typed that slowly for the hard of thinking ppl who support the IPG
[quote][p][bold]JonnyBlueJeans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gogledd[/bold] wrote: I think what gets most of us is dual standards...one law for one and one law for another.[/p][/quote]What are you talking about?[/p][/quote]Are you stupid? I know Gogledd even typed that slowly for the hard of thinking ppl who support the IPG Tttoommy
  • Score: -10

7:16pm Wed 30 Jul 14

JonnyBlueJeans says...

Tttoommy wrote:
JonnyBlueJeans wrote:
Gogledd wrote:
I think what gets most of us is dual standards...one law for one and one law for another.
What are you talking about?
Are you stupid?

I know Gogledd even typed that slowly for the hard of thinking ppl who support the IPG
"One law for one and one law for another" just words. If you have anything worthwhile to add lets have it names and dates or shut up.
[quote][p][bold]Tttoommy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JonnyBlueJeans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gogledd[/bold] wrote: I think what gets most of us is dual standards...one law for one and one law for another.[/p][/quote]What are you talking about?[/p][/quote]Are you stupid? I know Gogledd even typed that slowly for the hard of thinking ppl who support the IPG[/p][/quote]"One law for one and one law for another" just words. If you have anything worthwhile to add lets have it names and dates or shut up. JonnyBlueJeans
  • Score: 4

8:24pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Paul C. says...

Tttoommy wrote:
Paul C. wrote:
Tttoommy wrote:
Paul C. wrote:
The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.
there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :(
I am neither but I have built my own house and I know what a house builder has to go through to get planning permission and how tough it is to get past building regulations and code 3 certification. You can not allow anybody to build without planning permission, they have NO planning permission, NO code 3 certificate, NO building regulations, NO warranty, and they have not paid the community infrastructure levy which must be paid on every new build property.
I was taught to be cautious but still I don't believe you
Believe what you like, I'm just an ordinary average bloke, I've worked hard all my life and saved up enough to be able to realise a dream and build my own house, I've been through the rigorous planning process, I've paid for that process, paid council building control, paid for code 3 certification, paid for a new build warranty and paid the £5500 community infrastructure levy ( roof tax ) which every single new build property has to pay - so why should this pair build without permission and without paying the council for everything that is required to build a new property.
[quote][p][bold]Tttoommy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tttoommy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.[/p][/quote]there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :([/p][/quote]I am neither but I have built my own house and I know what a house builder has to go through to get planning permission and how tough it is to get past building regulations and code 3 certification. You can not allow anybody to build without planning permission, they have NO planning permission, NO code 3 certificate, NO building regulations, NO warranty, and they have not paid the community infrastructure levy which must be paid on every new build property.[/p][/quote]I was taught to be cautious but still I don't believe you[/p][/quote]Believe what you like, I'm just an ordinary average bloke, I've worked hard all my life and saved up enough to be able to realise a dream and build my own house, I've been through the rigorous planning process, I've paid for that process, paid council building control, paid for code 3 certification, paid for a new build warranty and paid the £5500 community infrastructure levy ( roof tax ) which every single new build property has to pay - so why should this pair build without permission and without paying the council for everything that is required to build a new property. Paul C.
  • Score: 22

8:27pm Wed 30 Jul 14

JonnyBlueJeans says...

Paul C. wrote:
Tttoommy wrote:
Paul C. wrote:
Tttoommy wrote:
Paul C. wrote:
The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.
there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :(
I am neither but I have built my own house and I know what a house builder has to go through to get planning permission and how tough it is to get past building regulations and code 3 certification. You can not allow anybody to build without planning permission, they have NO planning permission, NO code 3 certificate, NO building regulations, NO warranty, and they have not paid the community infrastructure levy which must be paid on every new build property.
I was taught to be cautious but still I don't believe you
Believe what you like, I'm just an ordinary average bloke, I've worked hard all my life and saved up enough to be able to realise a dream and build my own house, I've been through the rigorous planning process, I've paid for that process, paid council building control, paid for code 3 certification, paid for a new build warranty and paid the £5500 community infrastructure levy ( roof tax ) which every single new build property has to pay - so why should this pair build without permission and without paying the council for everything that is required to build a new property.
Well said, fully agree. The process is for all of us and not to be avoided by people that think they're exempt.
[quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tttoommy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tttoommy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul C.[/bold] wrote: The house would never pass building regulations, would never get a code 3 certificate and has no design and access statement to accompany the planning application that should have been submitted. People pay thousands of pounds to get through the stringent planning process, you can't expect to allow an unsafe pile of junk to be allowed planning permission just because you put an eco label on it.[/p][/quote]there speaks a mason or a jobsworth , possibly both :([/p][/quote]I am neither but I have built my own house and I know what a house builder has to go through to get planning permission and how tough it is to get past building regulations and code 3 certification. You can not allow anybody to build without planning permission, they have NO planning permission, NO code 3 certificate, NO building regulations, NO warranty, and they have not paid the community infrastructure levy which must be paid on every new build property.[/p][/quote]I was taught to be cautious but still I don't believe you[/p][/quote]Believe what you like, I'm just an ordinary average bloke, I've worked hard all my life and saved up enough to be able to realise a dream and build my own house, I've been through the rigorous planning process, I've paid for that process, paid council building control, paid for code 3 certification, paid for a new build warranty and paid the £5500 community infrastructure levy ( roof tax ) which every single new build property has to pay - so why should this pair build without permission and without paying the council for everything that is required to build a new property.[/p][/quote]Well said, fully agree. The process is for all of us and not to be avoided by people that think they're exempt. JonnyBlueJeans
  • Score: 18

8:37pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Bilbo101 says...

1Bigbeast wrote:
Where is the link for the online petition?
Unfortunatley for Charlie and Megan they are not in the old boys club in the Kremlin and they don't have any realtives in the IPPG Group so they are pretty much buggered. Help stop the corruption at PCC by signing the following petition : https://you.38degree
s.org.uk/petitions/e
nd-corruption-in-pem
brokeshire-county-co
uncil
[quote][p][bold]1Bigbeast[/bold] wrote: Where is the link for the online petition?[/p][/quote]Unfortunatley for Charlie and Megan they are not in the old boys club in the Kremlin and they don't have any realtives in the IPPG Group so they are pretty much buggered. Help stop the corruption at PCC by signing the following petition : https://you.38degree s.org.uk/petitions/e nd-corruption-in-pem brokeshire-county-co uncil Bilbo101
  • Score: -8

10:24pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Welshman23 says...

aprilmay wrote:
Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time.
The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.
April May are you a new blogger, it seems that you are missing the point I am Pembrokeshire born and bred and still reside in Pembrokeshire, I would suggest you read what has and goes on in the Kremlin, speak with your local councillor if you know who he is, and find out if he is an IPPG supporter, if he is there is the problem.
They broke the law so have other councillors one person in question built a house without planning permission and got it passed retrospectively .
I say let the residents where this property is built to decide.
[quote][p][bold]aprilmay[/bold] wrote: Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time. The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.[/p][/quote]April May are you a new blogger, it seems that you are missing the point I am Pembrokeshire born and bred and still reside in Pembrokeshire, I would suggest you read what has and goes on in the Kremlin, speak with your local councillor if you know who he is, and find out if he is an IPPG supporter, if he is there is the problem. They broke the law so have other councillors one person in question built a house without planning permission and got it passed retrospectively . I say let the residents where this property is built to decide. Welshman23
  • Score: -11

10:51pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Tttoommy says...

It appears PCC has got some poor IT fellow posting on to all the social media, here , making stories up, claiming PCC are greart, same on the other papers site.

On Facebook all the good liitle stories about how WONDERFUL PCC is -

-they must be scared :)
It appears PCC has got some poor IT fellow posting on to all the social media, here , making stories up, claiming PCC are greart, same on the other papers site. On Facebook all the good liitle stories about how WONDERFUL PCC is - -they must be scared :) Tttoommy
  • Score: -2

12:03am Thu 31 Jul 14

JonnyBlueJeans says...

Welshman23 wrote:
aprilmay wrote:
Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time.
The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.
April May are you a new blogger, it seems that you are missing the point I am Pembrokeshire born and bred and still reside in Pembrokeshire, I would suggest you read what has and goes on in the Kremlin, speak with your local councillor if you know who he is, and find out if he is an IPPG supporter, if he is there is the problem.
They broke the law so have other councillors one person in question built a house without planning permission and got it passed retrospectively .
I say let the residents where this property is built to decide.
Idiot
[quote][p][bold]Welshman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]aprilmay[/bold] wrote: Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time. The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.[/p][/quote]April May are you a new blogger, it seems that you are missing the point I am Pembrokeshire born and bred and still reside in Pembrokeshire, I would suggest you read what has and goes on in the Kremlin, speak with your local councillor if you know who he is, and find out if he is an IPPG supporter, if he is there is the problem. They broke the law so have other councillors one person in question built a house without planning permission and got it passed retrospectively . I say let the residents where this property is built to decide.[/p][/quote]Idiot JonnyBlueJeans
  • Score: -13

8:46am Thu 31 Jul 14

Welshman23 says...

JonnyBlueJeans wrote:
Welshman23 wrote:
aprilmay wrote:
Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time.
The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.
April May are you a new blogger, it seems that you are missing the point I am Pembrokeshire born and bred and still reside in Pembrokeshire, I would suggest you read what has and goes on in the Kremlin, speak with your local councillor if you know who he is, and find out if he is an IPPG supporter, if he is there is the problem.
They broke the law so have other councillors one person in question built a house without planning permission and got it passed retrospectively .
I say let the residents where this property is built to decide.
Idiot
It seems that I have touched a nerve.
[quote][p][bold]JonnyBlueJeans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welshman23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]aprilmay[/bold] wrote: Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time. The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.[/p][/quote]April May are you a new blogger, it seems that you are missing the point I am Pembrokeshire born and bred and still reside in Pembrokeshire, I would suggest you read what has and goes on in the Kremlin, speak with your local councillor if you know who he is, and find out if he is an IPPG supporter, if he is there is the problem. They broke the law so have other councillors one person in question built a house without planning permission and got it passed retrospectively . I say let the residents where this property is built to decide.[/p][/quote]Idiot[/p][/quote]It seems that I have touched a nerve. Welshman23
  • Score: -1

10:06am Thu 31 Jul 14

Electra1 says...

If this was a Hobbit House (from the film) there would be praise but because it isn't somehow this makes it wrong.

How many of up live in old houses that wouldn't pass building laws today? I know we don't do this from choice and it is good that buildings have to pass laws to stop cowboy builders wrecking havoc but surely this house owner can be given instructions on how to bring it up to the correct level.

I am sure you will tell me if I am wrong.
If this was a Hobbit House (from the film) there would be praise but because it isn't somehow this makes it wrong. How many of up live in old houses that wouldn't pass building laws today? I know we don't do this from choice and it is good that buildings have to pass laws to stop cowboy builders wrecking havoc but surely this house owner can be given instructions on how to bring it up to the correct level. I am sure you will tell me if I am wrong. Electra1
  • Score: -7

1:41pm Thu 31 Jul 14

oakleyannie says...

aprilmay wrote:
Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time.
The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.
Don't you watch George Clarke's Amazing Spaces?
Seriously though - all this talk about breaking the law is ridiculous. As Welshman 23 has pointed out, plenty of retrospective planning permissions are granted, not to mention other dodgier decisions that financially benefit councillors.
Of course it is a risk to build without permission, but so many cynical builders who play the system and take the risk are ultimately successful. I think this lovely , innovative couple should be commended for producing such a beautiful home for their child, which must be an enhancement to the area. I am sick to death of envious people who bask in their own mean spiritedness, taking delight that this couple cannot get anything that their own children don't have the talent to produce.
Shame on you shabby Pembroke Council! Go on, make another family homeless! Wonder whether you have the decency to rehouse them in one of your ever so legal council houses! Oh, do I hear shortages? - You don't say! Perhaps the porsche driving, family all insured courtesy of the ratepayers, chief might get in touch with St Fagan's Museum to have it put up as a Wendy house in his substantial garden - I'm sure he wouldn't deem it unsafe. Pembroke ratepayers could cough up again for his lifestyle. Time for a local referendum on this beautiful dwelling!
[quote][p][bold]aprilmay[/bold] wrote: Please forget he politics at County Hall. This will be dealt with in good time. The fact is that this couple have broken the law. I wonder how many of those leaving comments are Pembrokeshire born and bred. If they are then they will probably have children who have had to leave Pembs. in search of work. Believe me my sons born here but settled and working hundreds of miles away would prefer to be living back in Pembs. mortgage free in a hansel and gretel house in my back garden but that would be breaking the law.[/p][/quote]Don't you watch George Clarke's Amazing Spaces? Seriously though - all this talk about breaking the law is ridiculous. As Welshman 23 has pointed out, plenty of retrospective planning permissions are granted, not to mention other dodgier decisions that financially benefit councillors. Of course it is a risk to build without permission, but so many cynical builders who play the system and take the risk are ultimately successful. I think this lovely , innovative couple should be commended for producing such a beautiful home for their child, which must be an enhancement to the area. I am sick to death of envious people who bask in their own mean spiritedness, taking delight that this couple cannot get anything that their own children don't have the talent to produce. Shame on you shabby Pembroke Council! Go on, make another family homeless! Wonder whether you have the decency to rehouse them in one of your ever so legal council houses! Oh, do I hear shortages? - You don't say! Perhaps the porsche driving, family all insured courtesy of the ratepayers, chief might get in touch with St Fagan's Museum to have it put up as a Wendy house in his substantial garden - I'm sure he wouldn't deem it unsafe. Pembroke ratepayers could cough up again for his lifestyle. Time for a local referendum on this beautiful dwelling! oakleyannie
  • Score: -10

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree