Bumbo baby seat warning for parents
A baby seat manufacturer has warned parents to stop using one of its products immediately after admitting infants can fall out of it, "posing a risk of serious injuries".
Bumbo International Trust said owners of its Bumbo Baby Seat should not use the product until they have fitted a new restraining belt, which they said last week they would offer for free in all countries where the seat is sold.
The move came after reports of injuries, including skull fractures linked to the seat.
In a statement issued through the Trading Standards Institute, Bumbo said it was issuing what it called a "voluntary recall" but seats did not have to be returned.
"Infants can manoeuvre out of or fall from the seat, posing a risk of serious injuries," it said.
"Working closely with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Bumbo has determined that the potential safety issue can be readily corrected in the home by adding a restraint belt.
"In addition, Bumbo is providing a new warning sticker for consumers to attach to the seat to re-emphasise existing warnings against use of the seat on any raised surfaces.
"Consumers should stop using their Bumbo Baby Seats immediately, and complete the order form to obtain a free repair kit."
At least 50 incidents have been reported in the US of babies falling from the moulded foam seat while placed on a raised surface, the CPSC said in a statement last week.
Nineteen of those, including skull fractures, have occurred since a 2007 "recall" which saw a sticker added to the front of the seat warning against using it on an elevated surface,