Obituaries, June 10th 2009
1:45pm Thursday 11th June 2009 in Obituaries
Colonel J. F. W. Green OBE TD DL
Tenby (formerly of Haverfordwest)
The death has occurred of Colonel John Fredrick Webb Green, OBE TD DL, of Haverfordwest and Tenby, the only son of the late Mr Ralph Green and Mrs Muriel Green.
He had two sisters, the late Mrs Helen Collier who died in South Africa in 1950, and Mrs Elsie Davies, of Cardiff. He married Joan Abel, second officer Wrens in 1952, and she died in 1972.
In 1986 he married Marlene Everest.
He was educated in Haverfordwest Grammar School, where he was later a governor and also at Taunton School.
In 1939 he joined the Pembroke Yeomanry and in 1941 was posted to the 8th Army in the north African desert and saw action at the Battle of El Alemain. He then served in the Royal Horse Artillery, leaving the army in 1946 holding the rank of captain. He re-joined the territorial army in 1947 and served in the Pembroke Yeomanry until 1960 when he took over as the commandant of the Pembroke ACF and the Dyfed ACF with the rank of colonel and honorary colonel.
In 1955, he was elected as mayor of Haverfordwest and in 1958 he became town sheriff. After the war he joined the local Green’s companies as director and later as chairman. In 1970 he was appointed High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire and in 1949 he was awarded the territorial decoration and later the OBE. He was then appointed as a Deputy Lieutenant for the county of Dyfed.
He was keen on all sports which he followed in many countries of the world. He was for some years president of the County Lawn Tennis Club, and had also been captain and president of the Dyfed Golfing Union; captain and vice-president of Tenby Golf Club and also captain and president of Haverfordwest Golf Club.
He was past president of Haverfordwest Rotary Club and Haverfordwest Probus Club.
He was a senior Freemason in West Wales, a Freeman and Liveryman of the City of London, a hereditary Freeman of Haverfordwest and past Master of the Guild of Freeman.
He served on countless committees including the Broadcasting Council for Wales, the Traffic Co-ordinating Committee for Wales and the West Wales Hospital management committee.
He was the chairman of a number of hospital house committees, the TA Council for Wales, Local Tax Commissioners, National Savings, a member of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority as well as serving as a district councillor, and many more including president of the Three Counties Show, Carmarthen and chairman of the Welsh/American Community Relations Committee.
He always valued an appraisal by his friend Bill Steele, headteacher of the largest school in the UK, who said: John Green – rarely without a smile – a complete citizen and a gentleman.
Family left to mourn: Mrs Marlene Green (widow); Mrs Elsie Davies (sister); Mr and Mrs Tom and Helen George (daughter and son-in-law); Mr and Mrs Timothy Everest (stepson and wife); Mrs Amanda Hewerston (stepdaughter); and grandchildren Claire, Andrew, Mark and Louise George, Carina, and Alyssia Everest, Mr and Mrs Malcolm Green, Mr John Green and Mr and Mrs Richard Green and a number of nieces and nephews.
The service was held on May 22nd at St Martin’s Church, Haverfordwest, and addresses were given by Claire George and Malcolm Green, followed by cremation at Parc Gwyn. The service was officiated by Canon Bowen.
Bearers were: Colonel Dai Davies, Colonel Martin Green, Tom Hughes and Paul Lucas.
There were family flowers only but donations in lieu may be sent to Paul Sartori Foundation, 31 Haven Road, Haverfordwest, SA61 1DU.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Roy Folland and Son, Haverfordwest.
Mrs E. J. Graves
The death occurred at Withybush Hospital on May 27th of Elizabeth Joan Graves (nee Griffiths), of Smokehouse Quay, Milford Haven.
Originally from Neyland, she trained at Barclays in Tenby and later transferred to Pembroke Dock in 1944. She returned to a banking career with Bank of London and Montreal at Nassau in the Bahamas, where she had relocated with her husband Jim and their two children in 1963.
Later the family moved to the Cayman Islands and Joan worked for the Interbank organisation and for a private mortgage corporation. Both Joan and Jim spent the rest of their working lives in the Cayman Islands before retiring to their home on South Hook Road at Gelliswick, Milford Haven, where they spent many happy years together.
The family left to mourn and principal mourners are: Jane Beales (daughter); David Graves (son); Charlotte, Toby, Daniel and Thomas (grandchildren); Richard Beales (son-in-law); Dawn Graves (daughter-in-law); Diane and Joan and their families (nieces).
The funeral service was held at Parc Gwyn and was officiated by Canon Geoffrey Gwyther.
The bearers were David Graves, Toby Beales, Daniel Graves, Thomas Graves.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Tom Newing and Sons, Milford Haven.
Mr L. C. D. Allen
Lee Cecil David Allen died on April 30th at West Wales General Hospital. He was 26.
Lee lived at Greenhill Park, Johnston and was formerly a pupil at Johnston CP School and then went on to Sir Thomas Picton School, Haverfordwest.
After leaving school Lee attended Pembrokeshire College where he successfully completed business and admin studies. On leaving college he was employed by Poundstretcher, Haverford-west as assistant manager. Lee later moved on to work at J. and J. Motors, Johnston as a sales executive. His employment up until his tragic and untimely death was with Sinclair Garage, Neyland as a parts advisor.
Lee was a passionate supporter of Liverpool Football Club and also enjoyed watching the Scarlets rugby team. He enjoyed playing in the pool team at the Belle Vue and occasionally played darts for them as well. He loved socialising with his mates and was at his happiest on a night out with the boys.
The family left to mourn and principal mourners were: Kevin and Shirley Allen (parents); Steven and Kara (brother and partner); Marcus (brother); Lisa and Scott (sister and partner); Ella (niece); Alfie (nephew); Cecil and Margery Boswell, David and Iris Allen (grandparents); Paul and Caroline, Christopher and Eileen, Dean and Dawn; Alan and Dyan, Roy and Julie (uncles and aunties); Gary James (best mate), plus cousins, family and friends too numerous to mention.
There was a large attendance at Parc Gwyn Crematorium for the funeral on May 7th, which was officiated by Rev Martyn Evans. The interment was held on May 8th at Steynton Church.
The bearers were Steven Allen, Gary James, Jamie Picton, Mark Sture, Peter James and Rhys Phillips.
There were family flowers only with donations in lieu for Kidney Dialysis Unit, Withybush Hospital, c/o Mr Alan Boswell, 62 Conway Drive, Steynton, Milford Haven SA73 1JA.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Tom Newing and Sons, Milford Haven.
Mr D. Doherty
(formerly of Milford Haven)
Daniel (Danny) Doherty died at Highgrove Residential Home, Haverfordwest on May 7th. He was formerly of Cherry Tree Close, Milford Haven and was 85 years old.
Originally from Strabane, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, he joined the Royal Navy as a young man. He had various jobs in the navy including diving, gunnery, articifer and CPO coxwain. He represented the navy in rowing and athletics.
After leaving the navy he joined the MOD Police serving in the armament depots at Milford Haven and Trecwn.
While in the navy he served all over the world, and during the war he was on three Russian convoy runs. While in Greenock, between runs, he met Lilian who became his wife of 59 years. Danny enjoyed golf, gardening and crossword puzzles. The couple had two daughters Patricia and Denise, and seven grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.
He was predeceased by Lilian in 2005.
The family left to mourn and principal mourners are: Patricia and Rowland (daughter and son-in-law); Denise and Ivor (daughter and partner); Christopher, Jordan and Lucas, Martin and Helen, Caroline, Claire and Charlie, Amanda and Tim (grandchildren and partners); Stacey, Anthony, Josh, Iestyn, Daniel, Lily and Cai (great grandchidlren); Shaun and his family (nephew); Audrey and John, Marjorie, George and Pamela, Harold (sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law), plus many other friends and family members.
The funeral was held at St Francis R.C. Church, Milford Haven, followed by interment at Milford Cemetery, and was officiated by Father Jayjay Bautista.
The bearers were Lucas, Christopher and Martin (grandsons), George (brother-in-law).
There were family flowers only with donations going to The British Heart Foundation, c/o the manager, National Westminster Bank, Milford Haven.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Tom Newing and Sons, Milford Haven.
Mr S. Belton
Formerly of Hakin, Milford Haven
The death occurred at Kenilworth Manor Nursing Home, Kenilworth on March 26th of Spenser Belton, originally from Wellington Road, Hakin, Milford Haven. He was 86.
As a native of Hakin, Spenser was a master butcher, and had his own shop on the corner of Spikes Lane and Upper Hill Street. He originally worked with his father (G. S. Belton) and then ran the shop on his own from the mid 1960's. He ran the business until 1982, when he retired.
During the second world war he served with the Royal Signals.
Spencer's interests included being a past president of Rotary, latterly an honorary member. He was also a member of the Waterloo Club, the Pembrokeshire Yacht Club, and the British Legion.
He was an avid reader, mainly of military and local history, and enjoyed travel, including several recent cruises and regular visits to his son in Kenilworth.
He was a lifelong member of St Mary's Church, Hakin and served as a churchwarden for six years during the 1980s and as treasurer for 20 years.
His wife, Christina Belton (Chrissie) died in October 2004.
The family left to mourn and principal mourners are: Andrew Belton (son), Kath and Pete Warren, Paul Warren, Joan and Frank Yeomans, Jaime Yeomans, Dorothy and John Beckett, Philip Edwards, Ralph Martin, Winnie James.
Unable to attend were Nancy Martin, Niall and Vanessa Yoemans and Steph Yeomans.
The service was held at St Mary's Church, Milford Haven and was officiated by Rev Alan Chadwick and Rev Bill Lewis. The bearers were Paul Warren, Philip Edwards, Jaime Yeomans and David Burrows.
There were family flowers only with donations in lieu for St Mary's Church c/o Mrs Margaret Jones, 113 Waterloo Road, Hakin, Milford Haven.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Tom Newing and Sons, Milford Haven.
MR R. M. BATEMAN,
Roland Bateman passed away at his home Treginnis Lodge, St Davids on Tuesday, April 28th aged 55.
He was the youngest of the Bateman brothers, Ieuan and Clifford having predeceased him.
Roland was well known throughout the county, particularly in farming circles as a representative for Minsups, a job he held for 34 years.
He was a patron of St Davids Rugby Club, and had been an active member playing and running the line until illness forced him to give it up. He was an enthusiastic and successful fundraiser for the club.
Roland was a member of the St Davids Lifeboat crew for 39 years, and crew and launchers were present at the funeral, but were called to an emergency during the service.
The funeral was held at Ebenezer Chapel followed by burial in St Davids Cemetery. Rev Huw George officiated assisted by the Very Rev Dean J. Lean, Rev Mike Plant and John Evans.
The organist was Margaret Evans.
The bearers were Jeff Davies, Les James, David John, Roland John and Ken Broaders.
Roland leaves his partner Mary, brothers Byron and John together with their respective families.
There were family flowers with donations in lieu for Shalom House and the St. Davids RNLI which may be sent to W. G. Bernard Mathias, funeral directors, 62 New Street, St. Davids SA62 6SU.
Mrs. V. Griffiths
Val Griffiths died at her home, 5 Millard Park, St Davids on May 8th aged 76.
Val was born and lived all her life in St Davids. She was the eldest of three children born to Maggie and Levi Howells and was predeceased by her brother John and sister June.
On leaving school she worked for some years in John Smith’s grocery shop before becoming involved in the tourist industry, which led to her managing Belmont Guest House for ten years and then to run her own business Pen-y-Daith Guest House (which she built with husband John) for another ten years. After retiring from Pen-y-Daith in 1986 she continued to take guests on a small scale up until last year.
Her main interests were her family and friends, her home and her garden. She was a faithful member of St. David’s Cathedral.
The funeral was held at St David’s Cathedral with interment at St Davids Cemetery. The service was led by Dean Jonathan Lean assisted by Rev Mike Plant.
The bearers were her four grandsons, Ben, Morgan, Joe and Harry Elliott.
The principal mourners and family left to mourn are: John (husband), Jan and Rob Elliott (daughter and son-in-law), Ben and Caroline, Morgan, Joe and Harry (grandsons and partner); Bernie (brother-in-law), Steve, Hilary, Trish, Sandra, Colin, Maureen, Dawn and Martin (nephews, nieces and partners).
There was a large gathering of family and friends too numerous to mention.
There were family flowers only, but donations for the Paul Sartori Foundation, if so desired, may be sent to Bernard Mathias, funeral director, New Street, St. Davids.
Mrs N. Luke
The death occurred on May 19th at Withybush Hospital of Nora Luke, of Efo’r Grug, Tredafydd, Pontfaen (and formerly of Awel-Haf, Little Newcastle) aged 88 years.
Born in Tyriet, Pontfaen, one of ten children, Nora moved to Summerton West, Little Newcastle with her late husband Edward Luke where they farmed for many years. She was predeceased by her son Norton Luke.
Nora was a faithful member of Pontfaen Church until ill-health.
The funeral service was officiateed by Rev Alwyn Daniels and the organist was Lilwen MacAllister.
Principal mourners were: Arwel, Margaret, and Mary (son-in-law, daughter and daughter-in-law); Sharon, Jason, Catrina, Emyr, Aled (grandchildren); Muriel Morris (sister-in-law); Granville and Aeres James, Bernard and Lilwen MacAllister, Michael and Sian Morris, Brian and Mary Morgan, John and Anne Morris, Austin and Mona Morris, Lyn and Mansel Owen, John and Elsie Lloyd, Eric and Ann Morris, Eifion and Marjorie Thomas, Jim and Brenda Peters, Joyce Rees and Peter Williams, Eric and Roselle Luke, Randall Luke (nephews and nieces).
Unable to attend were: Robert and Gwenda Morgan, John and Sylvia Williams, Anita Smith, Gwilym and Carol Morris, William and Tina Evans.
There were family flowers only with donations in lieu if desired for the Paul Sartori Foundation c/o Paul Jenkins and Sons, funeral directors, Feidr Castell, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, SA65 9BB who also carried out the funeral arrangements.
MRS I. J. RUDDER
The peaceful death of Irene Juliet Rudder occurred on May 28th at Highgrove Residential Care Home, Haverfordwest. She was 93.
Irene was born in Islington, and her Hungarian father was an accomplished professional violinist. When Irene was very young they moved to Berlin, and in 1922, with two younger brothers, the family moved to Sweden. Around 1924, Irene and her mother came back to London, returning to Vienna in 1926 and then moving on to Germany. By the end of the 1930s, Irene and her mother and brothers had returned to live in London.
Irene met her first husband Clifford Hall at this time and they were married in London. Irene’s first daughter Marian was born in 1940 and her eldest son Peter in 1943. In November 1946, Irene married John Rudder in Hampshire and the couple moved to Shropshire where they managed a displaced persons’ hostel.
Irene and John moved to Pembrokeshire and between 1949 and 1951 they managed the Broad Haven Hotel later moving to the Galleon Inn.
Their children, Mandy and Skippy grew up in Broad Haven, and the couple later fostered Billy Malvern. Irene became a successful painter with a particular gift for portraiture. Her pictures were exhibited in Haverfordwest Library, the Royal Academy of Art’s summer exhibition and at the Paris Salon.
In 1971, Irene and John moved to Hook where they lived peacefully, but her beloved husband died in 1979. Her eldest son Peter died tragically in 1997. Irene is survived by three of her four children, many grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and a great-great grandson.
The funeral took place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth on June 3rd where Rev Dennis Wight officiated. The bearers were Ben and Gareth Rudder and Jonathan and Paul Cook (grandsons).
There were family flowers only with donations in lieu to the RNLI. Irene’s ashes were later scattered off St Davids Head.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Roy Folland and Son.
Mr. F. J. Cottrell
The funeral took place on May 21st of Freddie Cottrell, of Carreg Onnen, Fishguard, who died on May 13th at Glangwili Hospital, Carmarthen.
The service was held at the Chapel of Rest, Feidr Castell, Fishguard and was followed by interment at St Mary’s Churchyard, and was conducted by Rev D. Carl Williams.
Left to mourn are: Olga (wife); Evelyn and Ken (daughter and son-in-law); Allan and Alexis, Paul and Kim (sons and daughters-in-law); grandchildren and great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews too numerous to mention.
Unable to attend were: Ken (son-in-law), Buffy (granddaughter), and Eileen (sister-in-law).
There were family flowers only, with donations in lieu if desired for Goodwick Surgery, c/o Paul Jenkins and Sons, funeral directors, Feidr Castell, Fishguard, SA65 9BB.
Mrs W. V. Davies
The funeral of Winifred Victoria (Peggy) Davies took place on May 19th at Priory Church, Monkton, Pembroke, where the family and friends were joined by a large gathering of representatives of local organizations.
Born the youngest daughter of the late headmaster of Monkton School, Mr J. S. S. (Stanley) Rowlands, she had grown up in family tradition of service to their community.
Her married life followed the same tradition, supporting her husband, Dilwyn, in his chosen vocation as headteacher of Llanion and Pembroke Dock schools as well as borough, district and town councillor.
She was a life-long member of Priory Church and a member of the Mothers’ Union and it was a moving tribute to Peggy that members of the Monkton and Hundleton Mothers’ Union formed an honour guard at her funeral. Her membership of the WRVS was also important to her and she looked forward to the Thursday Derby and Joan Club.
Her main interests lay with her family, her beloved girls Jackie, Janet and Joanne, later followed by her grandchildren Robert, Griff and Brennig.
Unfortunately, in later life Peggy became overwhelmed by dementia and Alzheimer’s disease but it is a reflection of her life in the community that so many friends and neighbours showed their love by caring for her in her wanderings and always ensuring her safe return home.
The last four years of her life were spent with Joanne at Waungron, Whitland, and it was there in the loving presence of her three beloved daughters – Dillwyn himself being in hospital – that Peggy fell asleep peacefully on May 9th.
Following the service at the Priory, officiated by the Rector Rev. Martin Cox, assisted by Rev Roger Jones, Vicar of St Mary’s, Pembroke with Mr Eric Scourfield at the organ, there was a short service at Parc Gwyn Crematorium. Narberth, to be followed at a later date by interment of her ashes in the Priory Churchyard.
The family mourners were: Dillwyn (husband); Jackie and Malcolm, Joanne and Gordon (daughters and sons-in-law); Janet and Griff (daughter and grandson); John and Sue Reynolds, David and Judith Reynolds (nephews and neices); Betty and Nagib (niece and husband); Sammy (grandnephew); Tom and Hazel Rees, Nans Binding, Diana Williams, Graham and Gwen Rees, Phillips Rees, Owen Rees, Eirion Rees and David Rees (cousins).
Unable to attend were grandson Robert, his wife Danielle and Lily and Ella, who recently emigrated; grandsons Berennig and Bobi Dillwyn, sister-in-law Meriel Comont.
There were family flowers only with donations if desired to the Pembrokeshire branch of Alzheimer’s Society or the Monkton Branch of the Mothers Union. These may be forwarded to John Roberts and Son, 51 Bush Street, Pembroke Dock who also carried out the funeral arrangements.
Mrs B. E. Beynon
The death of Blodwen Enid Beynon (née Richards) occurred on April 27th in Southampton after a short illness. She was 91. Enid was born in Ludchurch and later moved to Calvesland Farm, Manorbier, where she grew up with her three sisters and a brother. She married Gilbert Beynon in 1941 and moved into Jameston Court Farm. Manorbier where they took over the running of the farm together – their family home for 25 years. During this time, her two daughters Sheila and Margery were born. After retirement they lived in Pentlepoir and Begelly, where she took holiday guests, before moving to Pembroke. After her husband’s death in 2000, Enid moved to Southampton to be closer to her daughters. Enid enjoyed reading and gardening in her spare time, and was a regular member of the church.
Principal mourners were: Sheila and Brian Bowen, Margery and Jim Smith (daughters and sons-in-law); Richard and Siân Bowen, Catherine and Matthew Smith (grandchildren), her sister Margaret and family, and her brother Alan. David Smith, her youngest grandson, was unable to attend. The service was held at St James’ Church, Manorbier, followed by cremation at Parc Gwyn. The service was officiated by Rev V. Millgate. The bearers were grandsons Richard Bowen and Matthew Smith. There were family flowers only, with donations, to the British Heart Foundation, to John Roberts of 51 Bush Street, Pembroke Dock, who carried out the funeral arrangements.
Mr B. Harries
The death occurred at West Wales General Hospital on May 11th of Brynmor (Bryn) Harries, of New Road, Freystrop. He was 78.
Originally from Freystrop, he trained to be a watchmaker, and then worked for Jeffrey’s Jewellers for many years.
His interests included preparing and tuning engines for racing by carting enthusiasts, a sport he enjoyed.
The family left to mourn and principal mourners are: William and Hilda Harries (brother and sister-in-law); Dorothy James, Kathleen Harris (sisters); Elizabeth and Dave (niece and partner); Ruth and John Owen, Elaine and Roy Couzens, Lort and Joan James (nephews and nieces); Lawson and James Owen, Georgina, Christopher and Mark James, James Lawrence and Rachel Couzens (great nephews and nieces and their families); Ralph and Trevor Harries, Primrose and Keith Griffiths (cousins), plus close friends.
Unable to attend Bill and Hilda Harries (brother and sister-in-law); Joanne, Gareth and Hannah (great nieces and nephew); Mrs Joyce Moore (aunt).
The funeral service was held at Parc Gwyn Crematorium followed by interment of ashes at his parents’ grave in Freystrop Cemetery. Rev Jane Goupillon officiated and the bearers were Roy John, Dai Jones, Leslie Brick and Graham Yeo.
There were family flowers only with donations in lieu for ward three Withybush Hospital, which may be sent c/o Mrs Joan James, Woodbine Farm, Pembroke Road, Haverfordwest.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Glyn Thomas and son assisted by Mrs Susan Price.
Mr T. L. Havard
The death occurred at Withybush Hospital of Mr Trevor Lewis Harvard, of Fleming Crescent, Haverfordwest on May 4th. He was 90.
As a native of Haverfordwest, he was employed by Lucas Automotives and latterly by Vaughans Motors of Fishguard, from were he retired in 1991.
He served in the Second World War and was in Dunkirk and north Africa.
During his younger days he played the saxophone and enjoyed big band music and latterly his main interests were his family and visiting the day centre where he made many new friends.
The family left to mourn and principal mourners were: Nancy Havard (wife); Nigel and Jayne (son and daughter-in-law); Julie and Erle (daughter and partner); Jonathan (grandson); Iris (sister); Enid and May (sisters-in-law); Penny, Anthony, June, Louise, Tim, Hannah and Leon, Joy, Leon and families (nephews and nieces).
The service was held at Parc Gwyn Crematorium and was officiated by Father Graham Lloyd. The bearers were Nigel Harvard, Jonathan Havard, Anthony Rowlands and Erle Minhinnick.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Roy Folland and Sons, Haverfordwest.
Mrs P. M. Dix
The funeral took place recently of Phyllis Muriel Dix, of Kitchener Close, Pembroke Dock who died at Withybush Hospital on May 12th. She was 88. Originally from Llanreath, Pembroke Dock she was a supporter of her husband in his military career.
She enjoyed painting, gardening, being a member of Pembroke Dock gardening club. She also attended Bethany Chapel and the sisterhood. She was predeceased by Lieutenant Colonel Mervyn Charles Dix MBE.
The family left to mourn and principal mourners are: Lesley Jones and Ann Maskill (daughters); Ken Jones and George Maskill (sons-in-law); Tefiion, Gafyn, Rhian, Bethan, Joanna and Katie (grandchildren); Lauren, Shaun, Gareth, Thomas, Matthew, Ffion, Matthew and Oliver (great grandchildren); Mrs E. Elliott (sister); Paul Elliott (nephew), plus many friends and neighbours.
The service was held at Parc Gwyn Crematorium and was officiated by Rev Roger Hart.
There were family flowers only with donations in lieu for the British Heart Foundation c/o Graham Thomas, 34 Charles Thomas Avenue, Pembroke Dock SA72 6UR. The funeral arrangements were carried out by E C Thomas and Sons, Pembroke Dock.