Mrs E M Hillman


The funeral took place on March 13th of Edith Hillman who for most of her life had lived in St Ann’s Crescent, Pembroke.

Edith was born in Rochdale Lancs on May 20th 1917, it was in Rochdale that she married Sidney Lingard in 1938. During the war Sid joined the RAF and Edith worked in an armaments factory. In 1952 Sid was promoted to foreman spinner and moved to the Pembroke Wollen Co in Pembroke Dock with the job came the house in St Ann’s Crescent. Edith was a contented housewife and mother she had 2 sons Eldon and Andrew. In 1974 Sid died, it took many years for Edith to get over the loss but eventually she started attending bingo at Monkton Swifts then joined the WVS, mothers union and returned to her favourite pastime dancing.

It was through dancing that she meet her second husband Fred Hillman, they married in October 1989 they had a large circle of friends through dancing and the REME association. Sadly in 1997 Fred passed away.

Edith continued dancing well into her nineties and it was only when she had to go into a care home that she stopped.

The funeral was officiated by the Rev Cannon Roger Jones at St Mary’s Church, Pembroke and later as Parc Gwyn. The bearers were Simon Lingard (grandson); Norman Barrie, Derrick Noakes and Barry Smith (granddaughters husbands).

The principal mourners are Eldon and Prue, Andrew and Dawn (sons and daughters-in-law); John O’Brien (brother); Susan, Sharon, Michelle and Zoe (granddaughters). Edith has seven great grandchildren and three great great grandchildren plus many nieces and nephews.

There were family flowers only with donations for the Alzheimer’s Society and St Mary’s Church sent to John Roberts and son, funeral directors, 51 Bush Street, Pembroke Dock SA72 6AN who also carried out the funeral arrangements.

Mr Benjamin Albert Griffiths (Ben)

Milford Haven

Mr Benjamin Albert Griffiths (Ben) of Edward Street, Milford Haven died on March 4th at Withybush Hospital. He was 80.

Originally from St Brides, he left school an became an agricultural worker, gaining a long service medal after 36 years having worked for Mr Donald Bagley and Mr George James (St Brides). Later he became a janitor at Murco until ill health forced his retirement. He was greatly loved and respected by all who knew him, being well known for his great sense of humour.

He was an avid rugby supported and enjoyed watching snooker. He loved his family and Floss his dog. He also enjoyed doing crosswords and puzzles.

A faithful members of Marloes Baptist Chapel, having been baptised following his daughter Julieís baptism at sandy Hill.

The family left to mourn and principal mourners are Ida (wife); daughter Julie, her partner George and grandson James; son Neil, his wife Jayne, grandsons Gareth and Jonathan; sister Jayne, nephew Simon, his wife Sharon and children Megan and Michael; brother-in-law David and his wife Jackie and children Domenic and Sophie, plus friends and relatives too numerous to mention.

The service was held at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth and was officiated by Rev Paul Bartlett .

Donations in lieu of flowers for Ward 10 Withybush Hospital and Macmillan Nurses may be sent to Mr Paul James, St Bridget, Dale, Haverfordwest.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Tom Newing and Sons Ltd, Milford Haven Mrs P Davies


The funeral took place recently of Prydwedd Davies, affectionately known as Pryd, of Heol Caradog, Fishguard. Aged 68, Pryd was married to Mike, sharing 48 years of happiness together. She was born and raised in Fishguard before leaving to join the civil service in Lodnon. After marriage in March 1964 she finally settled in Milford Haven in 1965. Following her move, she eventually worked in the Meads Infants School from 1972 to 1997, giving dedicated service, she was totally committed to the children in her care and made them feel special and loved for 25 years. She retired to her home town of Fishguard but was soon called back to education again at Letterston School for a further five years. This was followed briefly at Ysgol Glannau Gwaun, Fishguard. During her time in Milford Haven she was also an active member of the Milford Haven Womens Institute which she enjoyed immensely.

Pryd enjoyed holidays, long country walks, gardening and all sports. She was an avid reader and enjoyed knitting and cross-stitch for her family. Her most pivotal role though was as a devoted mother and granny/mamgu. She adored her two sons Wayne and Mark and her grandchildren Owen, Bethan, Jasmin and Nia meant the world to her.

Despite failing health over the last four years Pryd never lost her sense of humour and her big lovely smile was an inspiration to everyone. She took great pleasure and pride in the achievements and interests of all her family, friends and their children. Her bond of friendship with everyone over the years was loyal and constant.

The funeral was officiated by Rev Carl Williams at Hermon Baptist Chapel, where a large gathering of family and friends attended to pay their respects. Her eldest son Wayne gave a moving and humerous eulogy. The bearers were Wayne and Mark, Peter Davies, Neil Summers, Martin Charles and Darren Briggs. Internment was at Llanwnda Cemetery, Goodwick.

The principal mourners were Mike (husband); Wayne and Mark (sons); Muni and Fay (daughters-in-law); Owen, Bethan, Jasmin and Nia (grandchildren) and close family, relatives too numerous to mention.

There were family flowers only with donations given to the Chemotherapy Day Unit and Ward 10 Trust Fund, Withybush Hospital c/o Paul Jenkins and Sons, Funeral Directors, Feidr Castell, Fishguard.

Mrs G A E G Lewis


The death occurred at Withybush Hospital on March 8th of Gwerfyl Agnes Elizabeth Griffiths Lewis (nee Lewis), of Hill Lane Cottage, Houghton. She was 90.

Born and brought up in Hundleton, Gwerfyl moved to Burton in 1946 when she married Bert Lewis of Hill Farm, Houghton. They retired from farming in 1978, and enjoyed their retirement until Bert’s death in 2003.

Gwerfyl was a former member of Burton WI and a faithful member of Burton Church. She also supported Hill Mountain Chapel. She enjoyed gardening and reading, but her greatest love was her family especially her great grandchildren.

Left to mourn and principal mourners are Joan and Arwel Phillips, Sheila and David (daughters and sons-in-law); Nerys and Paul Rollinson, Rhys Phillips, Nia Phillips and Paul Hunt, Alastair Low, William and Kate Low, Rosalyn and Matthew Griffiths (grandchildren); Ruby, Charlie, Amber, Thomas, Rhodri and Daniel (great grandchildren); Jean Lewis (sister-in-law).

The funeral service took place at Parc Gwyn on March 17th. The service was officiated by the Revd Marianne Osborne (Rector of Burton) with the eulogy given by Mr Richard Laws and the psalm read by William Low (grandson).

There were family flowers only but donations for Angle Lifeboat and Bosherston Coastguard can be sent to Arwel Phillips, Hill Lane Cottage, Houghton, Milford Haven SA73 1NE.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Glyn Thomas and Son, Freystrop.



Gareth Teifion Perkins died peacefully at his home, Belmore Gardens, Narberth, on Thursday 1st March.

Gareth was born in Pentre Galar, Crymych on January 15th 1936 before moving to Whitland where he attended the Grammar School. After leaving school at 15 and spending several years on the railways he undertook his national service with the Royal Artillery and ended his service at Morfa Camp Towyn as driver to the commanding officer.

After leaving the Army he returned to Whitland where he joined the dairies as a lorry driver and also became a retained fireman. In 1964 he joined Shell as a tanker driver in Haverfordwest. In 1966 he married Sheila and settled in Narberth and had two sons, Simon and Martyn. He left Shell after 14 years to support Sheila with their business in Narberth before returning to Dairy Crest in Whitland as a long distance lorry driver. There he had many a happy year with his fellow drivers reverting back to the tankers and undertaking such roles as driver assessor and union representative.

Outside of work his interests lay with rugby playing for Whitland in his younger days before moving west and joining Narberth. Here he spent time as youth team coach, committee member and was part of the inaugural supporters committee.

In March 2000 he suffered a severe stroke but despite his disabilities he never failed to raise a smile and enjoy the company of those around him.

The funeral took place at Parc Gwyn on March 9th. The service was officiated by Rev Huw George assisted by Rev Chris Rees where there was a large attendance.

The bearers were Ben Perkins, David Mayor, Rhodri Davies, Chris Smith and Lance Nelson (his carers and friends over his last years).

He is mourned by Sheila (wife); Simon and Kate, Martyn and Kathy (sons and wife/partners); Lily, Martha and Ffion (granddaughters); Desmond and Audrey (brother and wife); Anthony and Beryl, Jeff and Mandy, Val and Ross, Kath and Vic, Graham and Emma (brothers and sisters-in-law) plus many cousins, nephews and nieces, friends and old colleagues. Unable to attend was Mrs B Brooks (mother-in-law). His ashes were laid to rest at Robeston Wathen Church with the Rev Peter Lewis and Rev Huw George officiating.

There were family flowers only with donations in lieu of flowers were requested for the Paul Sartori Foundation and Dr Allen and Partners, Meddygfa Rhiannon, Narberth. The donations being accepted by W and M.J Rossiter and Sons Ltd, Landsker House, 21 Station Road, Narberth or The Old Rectory, The Norton, Tenby, who also carried out the funeral arrangements.

Mrs M E Morgan

Pembroke Dock

The funeral of Marjorie Emily Morgan took place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium on Monday March 12th.

Marjorie was aged 91 years. She had recently moved back into the area to be closer to her youngest daughter. She was born in Onibury near Ludlow in Shropshire; she grew up there but in her early teens she had to be sent to an open-air school in Cumbria for her health.

Marjorie joined the WRAF during the war but suffered a near fatal accident and was hospitalised for two years, leaving her with a disabled right arm. The surgeon told her she would not be able to knit again, but in her ‘true grit’ style she knitted him a jumper with one hand before she left! She went on to make beautiful knitwear; Bath museum has put them on show, and keeps them in their vaults.

She married Harry and had five children and when times got bad she started her own business as a market trader, selling fabrics all over the midlands. This was very successful and she went on to have other businesses and provided for her family.

Marjorie became a Christian later in life and was fully baptised at the age of 74. She attended the church in her local area until her health made it impossible. She recognised that the Lord hard guided her in her life, and his protection upon her.

Harry predeceased Marjorie, who leaves to mourn her children Gloria and Ken (son-in-law), Christopher and Pat (daughter in law), Cynthia, Julia, Virginia and Bill (son-in-law), her 12 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.

The bearers were four of the grandsons, Mark, Carl, Simon and Cristian, and her son, Christopher.

Tributes during the service were made by Bethia (granddaughter), Virginia and Christopher. Marjorie had started writing about her early memories as a child and Bethia read it out which captured an idyllic scene.

The service was officiated by Rev Rob James. Donations in lieu of flowers for Ward 3, Withybush Hospital, may be sent to Mr G Thomas, 34 Charles Thomas Avenue.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by E C Thomas and son, 31 Stockwell Road, Pembroke Dock.

Mrs Stella Yvonne Stroud


Mrs Stella Yvonne Stroud passed away at her home, Meadow Croft, The Gail, Llangwm on March 3rd. She was 64.

Originally from Cannock, Staffordshire, she was a ‘ten pound pom’ and moved to Australia, then onto New Zealand where in 1969 she met David Stroud. They married in 1971 and had three children Robert, Edward and Elizabeth. From there the family moved to Papua New Guinea where they spent four years. Stella was a regional commissioner for the girl guides.

They returned to the UK, where they ran and owned a shop in Bretforton, Worcestershire. After retirement in 2009 Stella and David moved to Llangwm, Pembrokeshire.

Her interests included being a member of ‘Hot Gossip’, Llangwm Gardening Club and also a card making group.

Stella had sung in New Zealand with the symphony orchestra.

The family left to mourn and principal mourners are David (husband); Robert and Edward (sons); Elizabeth (daughter); Sean (grandson); Dan Price (brother); Pam Jukes (sister), plus many nephews and nieces in New Zealand and Australia.

The funeral service took place at St Jerome’s Church, Llangwm followed by a private cremation at Parc Gwyn and was officiated by Rev Jane Goupillon.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Roy Folland and Son, Haverfordwest.