5:19pm Friday 8th June 2012
© Press Association 2014
Lutalo Muhammad's nomination for London 2012 has been ratified by the British Olympic Association after a review of the selection procedure.
It means Aaron Cook, world number one in the under-80kg division, will not go to the Olympic Games, although the 21-year-old is already exploring legal avenues to challenge the decision by Great Britain Taekwondo to put forward Muhammad as their chosen selection.
After two days considering the selection process, the BOA's Olympic qualification standards (OQS) panel decided to ratify Muhammad's nomination.
"The decision by the British Olympic Association OQS panel to ratify the nomination was unanimous," said a BOA statement.
Cook had been overlooked three times by GB Taekwondo but after complaints by the athlete the BOA, and also the World Taekwondo Federation, launched reviews into the selection process.
After a teleconference involving the BOA board, the OQS panel - which can only accept or reject nominations and is not permitted to select their own choice - then conferred with the WTF on Friday afternoon before coming to the conclusion to back the choice of Muhammad.
However, the BOA said the OQS panel reserves the right to reconsider the nomination subject to the findings of the ongoing inquiry being led by WTF. Friday's decision, said the BOA, was taken for a number of reasons.
"In convening a selection committee for a third time in order to bring forward a nomination for the men's -80 kg weight category British Taekwondo did in fact follow its approved selection procedures and did comply with the directives given to it by an earlier appeal panel and the OQS panel," said the statement.
"The decision to ratify the nomination was taken following an extensive review of the selection process followed by British Taekwondo. The OQS panel also consulted with the British Olympic Association board of directors and the World Taekwondo Federation.
"The OQS Panel reserves the right to reconsider the nomination subject to the findings of the ongoing inquiry being led by the World Taekwondo Federation."
© Copyright 2001-2015 Newsquest Media Group