FAMILIES are being reminded not to leave washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers on while they are at work, after a bungalow fire in Houghton.

Firefighters from Pembroke Dock, Haverfordwest and Milford Haven were called to a property at 11am on Monday, March 23.

The fire, which started in the kitchen, had already spread to the roof space by the time crews arrived.

They used breathing apparatus, thermal imaging cameras, ladders, two hose reel jets and a main jet to extinguish the fire.

Luckily no-one was in the building and no-one was hurt, but extensive damage was caused to the dormer and roof space.

Early investigations indicated that the fire may have been started by the washing machine but the fire service later confirmed that the dishwasher was responsible.

Deputy Head of Community Safety for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFR) ,Steve Davies, said it was vital people understood the risks associated with leaving appliances on unattended, and how they could protect themselves and their families.

"Running a washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher overnight or while you are out is a fire risk because of their high wattage, friction and motors," he said.

"You should also make sure lint is removed from tumble dryers after every load of clothes dried, and do not cover the vent or any other opening.

"A working smoke alarm in the event something does go wrong can be a lifesaver."

If you do have any concerns, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service can provide a free Home Fire Safety Check.

Contact them on 0800 169123 for more information.