PEMBROKESHIRE County Council has issued a warning highlighting the importance of maintaining gas appliances in private rented accommodation.

It follows a court case in which a Haverfordwest landlord was fined £15,290 after admitting breaching gas safety regulations.

Gous Ahmed of Market Street was also ordered to pay costs of £2,500 when he appeared before magistrates in Llanelli.

The case resulted from a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation triggered by a visit by a team member from the Council’s Public Protection Housing Standards section in late 2014 to a property in West Court, Haverfordwest.

The following February the same property was visited by British Gas and it was deemed that both the fire and boiler were “immediately dangerous” and put the resident at risk of harm

The HSE investigation found that Ahmed failed to obtain a Landlord Gas Safety Record (LGSR) and continued to do so despite several letters and improvement enforcement action by the Executive.

It was later found Ahmed only obtained a LGSR after being cautioned and invited for interview

Following the case the county council’s cabinet member for regulatory services and housing, Councillor Pat Davies, said: “Officers from the council’s housing standards team work closely with other organisations to ensure that landlords meet their responsibilities in maintaining and keeping private rented accommodation in a safe condition.

“Landlords can face a substantial fine and even a custodial sentence for not complying with the law.”

Residents of private rented properties who have concerns about their living conditions can contact the Housing Standards team on 01437 764551.