Mr J Morant


MR JOHN Morant passed away on December 18 at his home in Colley Court, Monkton.

He was 59.

He was born in Pembroke and worked for Pembrokeshire County Council.

John was a proud dad to his two children and grandad to his four grandsons.

When well, John enjoyed fishing with friends and family, also helping out on his friends farm.

The family left to mourn and principal mourners are Louise and Michael La Rosa (daughter and son-in-law); Phill and Kirstin (son and daughter-in-law); Christian and William La Rosa, Ethan and Morgan Morant (grandsons); Marie and Tom Chegwin (sister and brother-in-law); Tanya and David Chambers (niece and husband) and their sons Gary and Tony; Mark and Ann Chegwin (nephew and wife) and their daughter Shannon; Gerald Asparassa and Ann Lewis (best friend and his partner).

The funeral was held on January 4 at Monkton Priory Church followed by burial at Monkton cemetery.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by John Roberts and Son of Pembroke Dock.

Mr R E Bird JP

Pembroke Dock and Pembroke

RICHARD was born in Portsmouth in 1935, the only son of Colonel and Mrs Stella Bird, yet he was always proud of his Pembrokeshire roots.

His pre-school years were spent in Palestine and Malta where his father was posted.

In 1940, Richard and his mum returned from Malta to his family home in Pembroke Dock where they lived with his grandmother Mrs Francis Eynon, a businesswoman well known in the town for running her shop from 2 Princes Street.

Boarding first at Haverfordwest Grammar School, he was transferred to Bristol Grammar School as a day pupil and it was here that he found his passion for rugby, playing for the school.

One of his highlights was travelling with his school to London for the coronation in 1953, even appearing on the newsreel standing in Trafalgar Square.

During his time in Bristol he stayed with his paternal family and later in the Bristol YMCA.

In 1954, Richard started work at the Metals Agencies Company, where he met his wife Monica.

They married at All Saints Church, Fishponds, in March 1959 and made their home in Bristol, by which time Richard studied building society law, administration and economics, gaining his professional qualification.

He later became a Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chartered Secretaries (FRICS).

In 1962 Richard and Monica volunteered with the Civil Defence Corps (Bristol Division) in response to the Cuban missile crisis and, in 1963 during the harsh winter, they were deployed to help deliver water in Operation Deep Freeze to Bristol residents.

Richard became an instructor and both remained in the Corps until it was disbanded in 1966.

In 1963, Richard was transferred to Plymouth by his employers where he only daughter Louise was born.

Continuing his love of rugby, he played for Plymouth Arguam RFC.

In 1968, following the death of his father, Richard and his family returned home to Pembrokeshire where he became manager of the Leek and Westbourne Building Society, later to become the Britannia Building Society.

He left the organisation in 1984 and worked for a number of companies in Pembrokeshire until his retirement in 2000.

Richard was active in the town, becoming a member of several organisations, including Pembroke Round Table.

As a lover of rugby, he joined Pembroke Dock Harlequins RFC.

Though past his playing days, he served with Monica on the Quins committee and also became involved with the scouts movement.

In 1977, he was appointed Justice of the Peace and served on the Pembrokeshire bench for 28 years, retiring from the bench at the mandatory age of 70 in 2005.

Always interested in history, Richard fulfilled a long-held ambition to attend university and graduated in 2003 with a BA (Hons) in history from Trinity College, Carmarthen.

His final years were spent quietly and although his health deteriorated from 2015, he retained an active interest in rugby, history and politics until the end.

Richard passed away peacefully on October 4 at Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest.

The burial service was officiated by the Rev Nicky Skipworth in St John’s Church, Pembroke Dock, with interment at Llanion cemetery where his family are buried.

The chief mourners were his wife Monica and daughter Louise.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by John Roberts & Son, Funeral Directors, of Pembroke Dock.

Donations were given in lieu flowers in aid of Cancer UK.

Rev T O Owen


TOM passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on December 8 2017.

He was 90.

He was ordained in 1952 and served as a minister in the United Reformed Church for over 60 years.

A family service was held at his home on December 21 and he was laid to rest in Henllan Amgoed, where he grew up as a boy.

The family left to mourn and principal mourners are Valmai (wife); his daughters and son-in-law Sharon, Eryl and Tom; Sarah, Ross, Samantha, Leah and Rhodri (grandchildren); Emie, Marilyn, Ervin and Alfred (nephews and niece).

It was officiated by Rev Hugh-John Wilson and the Rev Bryon Jones.

There were family flowers only.

Donations in lieu of Dementia UK, Second Floor, 356 Holloway Road, London N7 6PA.

The dignified funeral arrangements were flawlessly carried out by Roy Folland and Sons Ltd, of Haverfordwest.

Mrs M Lewis


MRS Margaret Lewis, a resident of Pencoed Care Home, Wooden, Saundersfoot passed away on December 9 at the age of 90.

Originally from Whitehaven, Cumbria she was a nurse, administration in the Army, and was posted to Egypt in 1949.

She met her husband Ivor and they married in Egypt.

They lived in Cyprus, Aden and various army bases in the UK.

They moved to Pentlepoir in 1984 when Ivor retired.

He had predeceased her.

The funeral service was held on December 22 at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth and a thanksgiving service was held at St John’s Church, Tenby.

It was officiated by Rev Lorette Hinson.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by E C Thomas and Son, of Llanteg.