Mr D Griffiths


MR David Griffiths passed away on April 24 at Withybush Hospital a day after his 88th birthday, following a short illness.

A Prendergast and Haverfordwest man throughout his full life, David attended the Grammar School and remained an Old Boy attending numerous reunions.

He was called up for National Service in the Pay Corps, Devizes in 1948, he was discharged early to assist his ailing father Ethelbert at the Post Office in Prendergast, and went on to be assisted later by his wife Jean and youngest son David. Throughout his long and successful career he was fondly known as Dai The Post or Swiper, and retired in February 2000, after 41 years of dedicated service to the Prendergast community.

Retirement didn’t slow him down at all, travelling frequently, braving the sea locally at all times of the year and enjoying numerous clubs, societies and a love of local history.

He was an officer in The Royal Observer Corps from 1957 until they disbanded at the end of the Cold War.

A love of singing with the Haverfordwest Male Voice Choir for over 40 years, with so many memorable moments and colleagues resulted in him being made an Honorary Vice President in 2013.

Another love was Haverfordwest Rugby Club, where he would frequently be seen pacing the side-lines, offering his opinion of the game, and if you were lucky a chocolate bar or pen. He was treasurer of the Royal British Legion, Spittal Branch and Probus 2.

He was an avid local historian with the Clarbeston Road Local History Society and in 2017 he was presented with a certificate of recognition along with others for his long and faithful service as a volunteer of the Town Museum.

His talks on Black Bart the Pembrokeshire Pirate, history and famous people of Haverfordwest were received enthusiastically by visitors and groups alike.

David married Jean Smith in September 1955 and they went on to have two sons, John and David.

Jean and the extended family are grateful to the doctors and staff on Ward 10 Withybush Hospital for the excellent care he received.

The family left to mourn and principal mourners were wife Jean, sons John and David, daughters-in-law Lorraine and Rachel, and granddaughter Elinor.

David’s vast number of friends attended the service of celebration on May 9, firstly at St Michaels Church, Rudbaxton and then Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth officiated with dignity by the Rev Marianne Osborne.

A Guard of Honour was made up of the Haverfordwest Male Voice Choir and Rugby Club Members, along with flag bearers from the local Royal British Legion, led by his closest friend Mr David Lloyd.

Vibrant eulogies were made by his relations Mr John Edwards and Mr Geoff Williams, which were such a fitting tribute.

The bearers were Mr Geoff Williams, Mr Alan Williams, Mr Anthony Lawrence and Mr John Summons.

The Director Mr William Isles and members of the Choir raised the roof in unison with a selection of David’s favourite pieces.

The celebrations continued at the Haverfordwest Rugby Club, arranged by John and Delyth Summons and all involved in the club.

Mrs E A Williams

Pembroke Dock

MRS Eileen Audrey Williams (nee Bowen) was born in Tredegar, Monmouthshire on January 13 1921, educated and brought up in Porth, Rhondda.

She worked in The Strand drapery shop until the Second World War when she joined the army and served as a cook for an AA unit on the south coast of England.

Following the war she married Walter Williams who worked for the Co-op in Penygraig until they moved to Pembroke Dock in 1955.

Walter managed the Co-op and Eileen worked in the NAAFI as cook before they opened The Prince’s Café in Bush Street in 1959. Later they moved to London Road where they opened The Double Two club where the local youths were entertained with snacks and live music in an alcohol-free environment. German soldiers frequented in their spare time, some finding their life partners.

It was so well known that Chancellor Willy Brandt even stopped by when he was visiting Castlemartin.

The Double Two came to a dramatic end after a fire engulfed the building in the early 70’s.

Following on from this Walter and Eileen opened a petrol station, bicycle shop and diner on the site in London Road.

Eileen spent time in the community doing voluntary work, being an active member of the St Johns Ambulance, WI, Welsh Blood Services, Friends of South Pembrokeshire Hospital and The Sunderland Trust where she worked in the cafeteria. She abseiled twice down St Johns Church tower in Pembroke Dock, the latest being when she was 92 year old, in order to raise funds for the Sunderland Trust.

Eileen died suddenly on May 12 after a short illness on Ward 4 in Withybush Hospital.

She was pre-deceased by her husband Walter in 1996 and leaves to mourn Christine and Michael Hughes (daughter and son-in-law); Janet and James Griffiths (daughter and son-in-law); Gareth and Anne Williams (son and daughter-in-law); seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

She and her cakes will be sadly missed by all who knew her.

Donations may be made in her memory to the Sunderland Trust.

Mrs E E A Phoenix

Pembroke Dock

THE funeral of Elizabeth Enid Avarina Phoenix (widow of the late Vivian Phoenix) took place at Pennar Community Church (Bethany) on April 21.

The service was officiated by the Minister Liz Squires and a reading by Jacqy Kenuin.

She was the daughter of the late Bill and Maud Edwards, Boot Stores, Whitland.

Enid attended primary and grammar school in Whitland.

The mourners were Michael Phoenix (son); Desmond and Christine Edwards (brother and sister-in-law); Nigel and Linda Edwards (nephew and wife); Joanne Edwards (niece); Mary, Ena, Ron, Morlais, Pam and Roger (cousins).

Unable to attend Frances, Ron and family (sister-in-law and brother-in-law); Emyr and Evanna (cousins).

The service was followed by cremation at Parc Gwyn.

The bearers were Nigel Edwards (nephew), Paul Davies, Jamie Barrett and Wayne Weatharall (friends).

There were family flowers only with donations to Sunderland Ward, South Pembs Hospital to E C Thomas and Son, 21 Main Street, Pembroke SA71 4JS, who also carried out the funeral arrangements.

Mrs J M Lewis


MRS Joyce Margery Lewis passed away at Withybush Hospital on May 4. She was 82.

Margery known as Marge attended Lamphey School before moving on to The Coronation School, Pembroke Dock.

Margery worked at NAFFI (Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes) at Manorbier Camp and The Sunderland Base, Pembroke Dock, waitressing.

Margery met John in 1958 and married the following year, they then moved to Knapps Farm, Redberth where Margery, as a farmer’s wife helped milking cows, rearing calves, feeding the workers whilst raising their two sons, David and Barry.

Her main interests included regularly attending Redberth Church and she was a keen member of The Mothers Union.

Margery was devoted to her family, particularly their son’s David and Barry and later a `second mum` to Isabel and Mandy, wives of David and Barry, she took great pleasure in later years watching her four grandchildren grow up Georgia, Siân, Sam and Rhys.

The family left to mourn are Edwin “John” Lewis (husband); David and Isabel, Barry and Mandy - (sons and daughters-in-law); Siân and Rhys, Georgia and Sam (grandchildren).

The service was held at St Mary`s Church, Redberth, followed by cremation at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth on Friday May 18. It was officiated by Rev Carolyn Wood and Ven Graham Davies.

The bearers were David, Barry, Sam, Michael Lewis, John`Tommy` Lewis (nephews), Angus Williams and Robert Moffat (friends).

Donations for St Mary`s Church, Redberth and Diabetes UK c/o E.C. Thomas and Son, Funeral Directors, Zoar Chapel Funeral Home, Llanteg, SA67 8QH who carried out the funeral arrangements.