The former proprietor of a Chinese takeaway where 'filthy' conditions were found has been ordered to pay more than £6,000.

Hui Chen of Dew Street, Haverfordwest, represented himself when he appeared before Haverfordwest magistrates for sentencing on Monday, July 9.

He pleaded guilty to five charges of failing to ensure food business regulations were complied with at an earlier hearing.

A previous court heard that Mr Wong Chinese takeaway in Main Street, Pembroke Dock, had breached food hygiene regulations on April 5 and May 31, 2017.

The breaches included failing to ensure food was protected from any contamination likely to render it unfit for human consumption during production, processing and distribution.

The earlier bench heard that there had been a failure to keep food premises clean and in a good state of repair, or maintain a procedure based on hazard analysis critical control points.

An unannounced inspection found grubby sinks, 'filthy' light switches, duck stored in a freezer wrapped in a 'filthy cloth', and chunks of raw beef left in uncovered bowls.

The store room was described as having 'poor housekeeping', and kitchen cleaning was poor with a build-up of grease behind the cooking area.

Dirty cloths appeared to be in use on work surfaces and bowls of rice were left to cool at room temperature.

When officers revisited the restaurant on April 12 missing paperwork was in place and the premises appeared much cleaner.

However, a follow up visit on May 31 revealed that while there had been improvements to cleaning, and food safety management systems and records were now up to date, there was still a build-up of grease and debris in the cooking area.

Speaking via an interpreter, Chen, 46, told the court he no longer owned the business.

Magistrates fined Chen £800 for each of the five offences and ordered him to pay the council’s £2,339 investigation and legal costs, plus an £80 surcharge.

The chairman of the bench said: “This court takes this type of offence very seriously, because public safety is at risk because of it. The potential for harm to the public was high.”

“The business had been going long enough to know the rules that were in place.”

Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Housing and Regulatory Services, Councillor Pat Davies, said afterwards: “The county council takes compliance with food legislation very seriously.

“Action will be taken where food business operators do not undertake the necessary steps to ensure the safety of customers.”