DOG owners have been warned to keep their pets on leads at a Pembrokeshire beach, after a substance believed to be palm oil was washed up.

Deposits of the white waxy substance have been found on Tenby North Beach after being reported by members of the public.

Palm oil is not harmful to humans but can be fatal for pets - particularly dogs - if ingested.

Pembrokeshire County Council was informed about the substance last night, November 30, and confirmed the presence of palm oil this morning during a site inspection.

Council officers are on site to survey the coastline and clean up deposits.

In the meantime, dog walkers and beach users are advised to keep away from the substance.