Pembrokeshire dog owners are being warned to be vigilant this autumn around conkers and acorns.

The Blue Cross charity fear that owners may throw conkers for pets to catch without realising the activity is potentially fatal.

Dogs can easily swallow conkers which can become lodged in their throat or intestines, which could need surgery to remove them.

Chewing or eating conkers and acorns can also poison pets, and cause vomiting and diarrhoea.

Alison Thomas, Head of Veterinary Services at Blue Cross, said: “Many dog owners do not realise that these iconic symbols of autumn can make dogs very sick, in some cases even deadly.

"Encouraging your dog to play with conkers is dangerous and can lead to tragic circumstances.

"Be vigilant on walks to make sure they aren’t picking them up or playing with them.

"Keep them on a lead around conkers and acorns if you aren’t 100 per cent sure they would come back to you when called.

"Contact your vet if they appear unwell after a walk where there may have been conkers or acorns”

Signs of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, restlessness with discomfort and pain or loss of appetite

Signs of illness usually show between one and six hours after ingestion, but can be delayed for up to two days.

For more information, visit