NARBERTH suffered one of the heaviest defeats of the season so far as they fell to Bargoed 13-40 at the Lewis-Lloyd Ground.

It was a tough week for the club with the firsts, seconds and youth all losing however the blow of the losses was some what softened by future prospects putting in big displays including eighteen-year-old George MacDonald who scored the Firsts only try of the game.

With there being no relegation this year according to WRU rules the Narberth coaching team are seeing it as an opportunity to give young players in the squad game time and experience.

Opponents Bargoed on the other hand are considered one of the top three clubs in the championship with a strong squad of players.

Narberth used the elements well in the first half and were unlucky to be going 6-7 down at the interval.

The second half was a different story as Bargoed used their extra power and experience through ex-pros in their team.

Narberth’s hard work was rewarded with a fine individual try by MacDonald.

On the match, director of rugby Sean Gale said “we played very well in the first half, with a good kicking game and spoiling the strong Bargoed renowned driving lineout.”

Llyr Miles scored a try in his first game of the season however it wasn’t enough as Narberth Seconds lost 14-22 at home to Treorchy.

In a competitive match both sides spread the ball at every opportunity, however in the end the visitors had a little too much power and experience, as would be expected from a team flying high in Division 1 East, but the young Otters made them work hard for their points, going down by four tries to two.

Along with Miles, Dan Owens scored the other try for Narberth.

Narberth Youth faced a stern test against an unbeaten Llangennech side.

The Otters had the wind at their backs for the first half and Fraser Jones, playing at 10 kicked well to establish good positions in the opposition 22.

Strong defence from Llangennech kept the home side out and against the run of play they broke away and scored a good try. Two penalties and a brilliant individual try from Fraser Jones saw the half-time score at Narberth 13 Llangennech 7.

In the second half with the elements in their favour Llangennech dominated the early part of the half and raced to a 13-26 lead. Narberth, however, showed how much they have progressed this season and didn’t give in and kept playing and were rewarded by a fine try from Charlie Phillips, converted by Fraser Jones.

The game ended in a 20-26 win to the visitors. The Narberth coaching team were not overly disappointed as this was a bigger and older Llangennech side and Narberth were missing a couple of key forwards. The Narberth Man of the Match award for a great all round game was given by the coaching team to Fraser Jones.

Results: WRU Plate: Tenby United 15-12 Crymych, Whitland 26-17 Aberystwyth, Pembroke P-P Fishguard & Goodwick: WRU Bowl: St Davids 7-45 Cardigan; Llangwm 0-50 Milford Haven