NARBERTH pushed Neath right to the death before captain Richie Rees was sin binned for offside, ending the skippers match early and releasing the pressure on Neath who, from the resulting lineout, went over the white wash to seal the game.

-Reaction: "Mystified by some of the decisions." Gale left pondering after Narberth push Neath

Narberth gave a good account of themselves against one of the league favourites, losing 22-30 in the opening game of a truncated championship season.

Neath 10 Steff Williams scored 20 of the visitor's 30 points including the opening penalty, try and conversion to race Neath into a 10-0 lead.

Ianto Griffiths, drafted in at ten, got the opening drop goal for Narberth before Williams added two further pens to take the half time score to 3-16.

It was the start of the second half that Narberth ramped up the pressure, roaring back to 16-16 with Jonathon Rodgers going over at the corner after good work from Steffan Phillips.

The Otters could have gone ahead having a try held up over the line straight after the score.

Neath were rattled and were lucky for their 18 to stay on the pitch after clear obstruction on Johnathon Rodgers as he attempted to chip and chase.

Nick Gale’s kicking was superb, getting 14 of Narberth’s 20 points including 11 in the second half but it was Neath who had the last laugh.

Richie Rees was sin binned for offside and, from the resulting lineout the All Blacks pack drove over the line with Aaron Graham getting the crucial score.

For Narberth Seconds, although it was only a friendly it was a nail biter as they were only just defeated by Dunvant 20-19.

Narberth scored two tries in the first half with Will Pop and Morgan Lewis going over. Dunvant pulled one back with the half time score Narberth 12 Dunvant 10.

The second half was a tight affair, the home side pulling ahead with a penalty and it wasn’t until 78’ that Narberth managed to get over in the corner. The score put Narberth six points ahead but, extraordinarily Duvant hit back from the kick-off being awarded a penalty try and making the conversion.

Narberth Youth hosted Whitland in the Griffiths Cup and came through 22-15.

Narberth’s defence kept Whitland out.

There were strong performances from Narberth’s Jamie Goldsworthy and Fraser Jones, and Lestyn Comey from Whitland, but the coaches man of the match went to Harry Harries.

WRU Championship, Rnd 1 results: Bargoed 32-10 Beddau; Cardiff Met 43-22 Ystalyfera; Glamorgan 28-27 Tata Steel; Narberth 22-30 Neath; Pontypool 42-3 Maesteg Quins; Trebanos 21-14 Cross Keys; Ystrad Rhondda 0-20 Bedwas