What started as a discussion about two photographs will result in the 1909 Fishguard lifeboat Charterhouse returning home in June.

The boat will return in time to celebrate its centenary.

The Charterhouse was presented to the RNLI at Fishguard by the Old Carthusians, former pupils of the famous Charterhouse School, and was on station from 1909 to 1931.

She hit the national news in 1921 for a rescue involving Dutch vessel Hermina.

The majority of the crew made it aboard the lifeboat but as they prepared to return to harbour the engine failed, a sail was ripped to shreds and two of the crew had to crawl out on the deck in horrendous conditions to reset a jib sail.

Of the remaining three crew on the Hermina, one was washed away and was never recovered; the other two found their way onto Needle Rock and were rescued by a local man William Morgan as part of the cliff rescue team.

The crew, William Morgan and the Charterhouse were put on the train and taken to London in 1921, and presented with one gold, three silver and nine bronze medals, together with watches and certificates.

In 1931 the Charterhouse was sold and converted to a private yacht. In 1946 it was acquired by the Lomas family and 66 years later it is still their prized possession, renamed Marian.

Author Phil Davies, Paul Butler and lifeboat crewman Phil Rees visited the Lomas family and the Marion in Bangor, and the decision was made to return the Charterhouse by road.

Recently, town councillor Richard Davies formed a committee which is looking for practical and financial help in restoring the Charterhouse.

More details are available by contacting info@CharterhouseReturns.com or 01348 870214 The boat will be placed near Fishguard Lifeboat Station pending restoration and later at the new marina.

The project website is www.CharterhouseReturns.com. Copies of a limited edition book are available from Phil Davies on 01348 870214.