A WOMAN lost her unborn baby and her husband after carbon monoxide leaked into their Kilgetty home, an inquest heard on Thursday.

The odourless and colourless gas, known as the silent killer, claimed the life of Saundersfoot businessman, Norman Brain.

The 47-year-old, who owned Pebbles gift and accessories shop on the Strand, was found dead in his bed at 7 Kerrs Way, on April 18th.

His widow, Sian, also suffered a miscarriage and the family's pet dog died.

Mrs Brain told the inquest how the couple had experienced vomiting and black-outs while living in the house, but had attributed the symptoms to other causes including stress and other ailments.

Mrs Brain, an infants' school teacher, said on the night of her husband's death, she felt ill and may have passed out in bed.

She awoke at 4am to find she was losing blood. Her husband of two years was lying fully clothed beside her. She then lost consciousness again.

At 8am she woke for a second time unable to move and telephoned her parents for help, the inquest heard.

She told her mother: "I can't get a response from Norman and I think I've lost my baby." Her father came to the house and an ambulance was called. Mr Brain was pronounced dead at 10.10am.

The inquest was told that the boiler had not been serviced since March 2001, shortly before Sian moved into the property.

A gas engineer came to look at the boiler on February 26th due to a problem with the hot water.

Routine checks did not reveal any problems, but the engineer advised the couple to replace the system as it was old and more efficient boilers were available. The couple did not take this advice.

The pathologist's report revealed a 59.2% carboxyhaemoglobin reading in Mr Brain's blood - the reading was well into the fatal range.

Pembrokeshire coroner Michael Howells said Mr Brain's death had been caused by carbon monoxide leaking into the house and said contributing factors included the lack of maintenance, an inadequate ventilation system and adverse weather conditions.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded.