THE Bluebirds absolutely outclassed a good Goytre side with a brilliant first half performance which amazingly saw them score just the one goal, and a fine second half in which their dominance saw them crack in four more, writes Robert Nisbet.

The pitch was sometimes slippery after heavy morning rain, but never inhibited a Bluebirds side, which was without Sam Rodon and Joe Leahy, from seeking to play fast, attractive passing football.

They went ahead in the 2nd minute, when Declan Carroll showed superb control to jink into space and clip in a low cross for Steff Williams to pounce at close range. 

From then on Carroll and Dan Williams were outstanding in control and inventiveness in a Bluebirds attack who were playing what was good enough to look at times like exhibition football, but somehow the second goal had not materialised by half-time. 

Carroll and Dan Williams both sent in shots which whistled past the angle of bar and post, and Dan pulled off one mid-air take of a difficult ball out on the touchline, before getting in a cross, a move which would have been worth the entrance money on its own. 

At the end of the first half a stinging shot from Luke Prosser drew a fine save from Conah McFenton, but overall the half had been a case of Bluebirds all the way.

In the 50th minute Alaric Jones sent over a lovely free kick which Kristian Speake met with an angled header to draw a wonderful save from keeper Giles Cutland. And from that point a run of Bluebirds goals began. 

In the 60th minute another ball in from Jones found Steff Williams who was on to it quickly to drive in. Eight minutes later Williams completed his hat-trick when Greg Walters was fouled on one of his surging runs and Steff slotted the spot kick in neatly.

The fourth goal, in the 71st minute, came when Ricky Watts whipped a fast ball through from the halfway line, setting Walters up with a half-chance which was going to need a lot of heart and engine to get to. Greg went on a tremendous run behind the defence and crashed in a stunning shot on the run. 

Walters was involved again in the 80th minute when again he was fouled in the penalty area, and Steff Williams, with the more difficult task of a second penalty against the same keeper, hammered it away for, remarkably, his sixth goal against Goytre this season.

Reporters on this game will be glad that the club doesn’t do a Man-of-the-Match award any more, since it would be impossible to select one from so many superb efforts. There were Carroll and Dan Williams, as mentioned. 

Steff Williams regularly tracked back to help frustrate the threat from the talented Leon Jeanne and then found time to get back upfield and score four goals. 

Sean Pemberton and Tim Hicks at the heart of the defence were near to impassable. Ricky Watts was a constant powerhouse in midfield. Walters’ constant running was a menace. 

Alaric Jones was involved in a long tussle with the combative Luke Prosser and came out on top. Kristian Speake constantly added invention and variety to the attacking effort, and Matthew Broome and McFenton were again part of a Blues’ back line which kept a clean sheet against quality opposition.

Best of all, this was a superb team effort, giving every sign that Sean Cresser is welding his young side into a really powerful force.

The Blues’ next game is away to Taff’s Well on Saturday, January 27, and they return to the Meadow to play Briton Ferry Llansawel on Friday, February 2, kick off at 7.30pm.

Haverfordwest County: Conah McFenton, Matthew Broome, Alaric Jones (Spencer Williams, 83), Sean Pemberton, Tim Hicks, Ricky Watts, Declan Carroll, Greg Walters (Leon Luby, 81), Kristian Speake, Dan Williams (Fraser Finlay, 83), Steffan Williams.
Sub not used: Nick Jones (g/k).