Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round replay:

Swansea City 2–0 Sheffield Wednesday

Second half goals from Jordan Ayew and Nathan Dyer were enough for Swansea City to see off Sheffield Wednesday at the second time of asking and set up an FA Cup last eight clash with Spurs or Rochdale.

After the sides had gone 145 minutes of football without producing a goal, Ayew was on hand to finish from close range after Tom Carroll's driven shot had struck both posts and bounced out to the striker.

And with ten minutes left it was Dyer who sealed matters, making no mistake from close range after being teed up by Tammy Abraham.

The Swans kicked off just 90 minutes away from a first quarter final since 1964 - and chasing a fifth successive home win for the first time since December 2007 when on their way to the League One title under then manager Roberto Martinez.

But in front of a crowd of just 8,198 on a freezing night at the Liberty, the opening stages were a far cry from the flowing football of the Spaniard’s era, with little in the way of intensity from either side.

Swansea’s first opening came when Ki’s clever free kick set Tom Caroll free down the left, and his chipped cross found Tammy Abraham – whose header was deflected over.

Home keeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt, already on his sixth FA Cup appearance of the campaign, was called into action to push away Jacob Butterfield’s stinging left foot shot from outside the area, and the Swede was back to his feet quickly to claw away Lucas Joao’s follow up effort.

The latter went close again when he cut inside Kyle Bartley on the edge of the box before again testing Nordfeldt, while at the other end, a botched overhead kick from Sam Clucas summed up Swansea’s lack of a cutting edge in the first 45 minutes.

Abraham did threaten when he jinked past Wednesday captain Glenn Loovrens but then over-hit his through ball to Nathan Dyer, and Ki was narrowly wide with a driven 20-yard effort - but in truth Stuart Atwell’s half time whistle brought welcome respite from an uninspired contest.

But Carvalhal’s response was to throw on Martin Olsson and Jordan Ayew at half time, in place of Ki and the ineffective Wayne Routledge - and ten minutes after the break, it paid dividends.

Caroll found himself in space 20 yards from goal, and after his fierce low strike beat Cameron Dawson but rebounded off both posts, Ayew was on hand to tap home the rebound.

The Championship side tried to up the pace as they searched for a leveller, but Jordan Rhodes could only fire a free kick straight at Nordfeldt.

And in truth, the home side were comfortable before Dyer finished matters in the 80th minute, latching onto Abraham's through ball and firing a low angled shot under Dawson and into the net.

It secured Swansea's place in round six for the first time since 1964, when then named Swansea Town, they won 2-1 at Liverpool to make the semi finals before losing to Preston North End.

Swansea City: Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Connor Roberts, Mike Van Der Hoorn, Federico Fernandez (capt), Kyle Bartley, Sam Clucas, Ki Sung-Yeung (Martin Olsson HT), Tom Carroll, Wayne Routledge (Jordan Ayew HT), Nathan Dyer (Leon Britton 82), Tammy Abraham.

Subs not used: Erwin Mulder, Luciano Narsingh, Kyle Naughton, Daniel James.

Sheffield Wednesday: Cameron Dawson, Jack Hunt (Liam Palmer 38), David Jones, Jacob Butterfield (Atdhe Nuhiu 68), Glenn Loovens (capt), Lucas Joao, Adam Reach, George Boyd, Daniel Pudil, Frederico Venancio, Jordan Rhodes.

Subs not used: Joe Wildsmith, Morgan Fox, Ashley Baker, Joey Pelupessy, Almen Abdi.

Referee: Stuart Atwell.

Assistants: Harry Lennard and Marc Perry.

Fourth official: Kevin Friend.

Attendance: .