Division One (West):

Tenby United 3-10 Crymych

A first-half try by durable prop Zac France-Miller helped Crymych gain a hard-fought victory over Tenby United at a Heywood Lane ground which stood up really well in awful conditions as both teams battled hard to retain possession with a greasy ball and there were very few genuine scoring chances.

But the large crowd in attendance on a floodlit Thursday evening appreciated the total commitment of both teams, who had very strong benches which they used to the full as players felt the big hits and coaches Chris James and Randall Williams tried to maintain their momentum.

Vital score at a vital time

France-Miller's try came midway through the first period as the Preseli Men maintained a relentless pressure via their powerful pack and after several phases near The Seasiders line he ploughed over before outside half Jake Jenkins slotted the conversion.

Jenkins, who linked well with half-back partner Arwel Davies in driving the opposition back at every opportunity, had earlier slotted a penalty to open the scoring and a 10-0 lead to Crymych at the interval did not do justice to the possession they enjoyed thanks to yeoman work by skipper Rhys Davies and especially second-row partner Osian Davies, who revelled in the conditions and helped win ball for the back row of Llyr Davies, Richard Sharpe-Williams and Aled Harries to utilise.

Impressive work rates from both sides

They also had the pace of Carwyn Phillips and the experience of Gareth Davies in midfield, plus the efforts of Lawrence Headlam and Nick Bevan wide out, until the latter sustained suspected concussion in the second half and had to go off.

But Tenby were valiant in defence as Barry Parsons, Andrew Cooke and Pat Roberts covered superbly as a back-row unit and skipper Johnny Morgan organised their defensive patterns well.

Matthew Morgan and Jonathan Rogers tried to use hard-won possession but were regularly on the back foot and although they trailed by ten points they knew that on the basis of territory Crymych might well have doubled that lead.

Seasiders start to raise the tempo

Whatever Chris James said to his troops at half time they certainly raised the tempo thereafter, especially with the eventual introduction of veterans Wyndham Williams and Luke Hansford in the pack, and the switch to centre of the bustling Pat Roberts.

Hansford featured with a strong surge into the danger zone before a greasy ball saw a knock-on whilst a great bit of smuggling by Williams near the Crymych line deserved a better ending as The Seasiders again lost possession in the closing moments.

Tenby finally opened their account with a 35-metre penalty by Rogers but the No 10 missed a more difficult chance from half-way. Great support play from Andrew Cooke also earned them late pressure in the Gate-House corner but The Preseli Men's blanket defence kept them out and the post-match jubilation from players and supporters showed just how important this victory for the bottom-placed outfit really was!

Tenby United: Jonathan Morgan (Capt), Yanik Parker, Craig Barnett, Jack Guerreiro, Jordan Asparassa, Jonathan Rogers, Matthew Morgan, Ethan Morgan, Kyle Hamer, Tom Slater, Jack Clancy, Luke Dedman, Barry Parsons, Andrew Cooke, Pat Roberts. Replacements: Gethin Thomas, Wyndham Williams, Charlie Patching, Luke Hansford, Moritz Neumann.

Crymych: Gavin Thomas, Nick Bevan, Carwyn Phillips, Gareth Davies, Lawrence Headlam, Jake Jenkins, Arwel Davies, Zac France-Miller, Luke Griffiths, Ryan Rees, Rhys Davies, Osian Davies, Llyr Davies, Richard Sharp-Williams, Aled Harries. Replacements: Jonathan Phillips, Tom Powell, Tomos Jones, Dafydd Phillips, Sion Colella.

Referee: Jonathan Hardy (Llanelli).