Under 18s WRSU Cup Final:

Ysgol Y Preseli 10–19 Ysgol Brynteg

There was heartbreak at the Principality for Ysgol Y Preseli as they missed out on the top prize in Welsh Schoolboy rugby after an intense and high quality Cup final with Ysgol Brynteg.

Gethin Vobe and Marc Lloyd’s had the better of the first half and led 3-0 at the interval, but Brynteg came out with renewed purpose after half time and crossed for three tries, two of them from full back Orun Harry, to seal the silverware.

Like Tenby before them earlier in the day, the Pembrokeshire School enjoyed the greater support as hundreds of pupils made the trip to Cardiff - and they saw their team start well.

Early pressure gave No 10 Jac Davies a chance for three points but he was narrowly off target from out wide, but with the ball carrying of the two Rhydian’s (Howells and Thomas) to the fore in the second row – the Preseli pack soon earned another penalty 30 metres out and this time Davies made no mistake to give his side a 3-0 lead.

The forwards continued to make inroads but and a series of drives took them towards the Brynteg line, but after the Bridgend School won a penalty at the breakdown, they launched a dangerous counter attack which saw No 8 Tom Davies have to be hauled down by the cover defence.

Brynteg winger Cameron Lewis also threatened with a chip and chase in the right corner, and on the other flank Joe Davies was bundled into touch as he sped towards the line.

But Preseli got back in the ascendancy in the closing stages of the half, and a powerful lineout drive set up another period of pressure which ultimately came to nothing – and Davies failed to land two late penalty attempts from long range, the second of which cruelly came back off the inside of the post.

However it was Brynteg who came out firing after half time and a surging run from left winger Davies forced Preseli full back Rhodri George into a try saving tackle, before they twice turned down three points in favour of close range scrums.

And the second time around it paid dividends, as after some resilient defence prop Chris Crompton powered over and centre Harry Hopkins converted.

Just minutes later 7-3 became 12-3 as full back Orun Harry powered through two tackles to dive over, and the same player added a third try for his side after a cross field kick was gathered by Davies, who then popped the try scoring pass to the No 15. This time it was Matthew Hobby who added the extras.

Vobe and Lloyd’s side did respond in the final stages and flanker Joey Mathias broke through in midfield before being halted by some desperate cover defence, before second row Howells gave his side hope with a close range try that Rhun Phillips converted.

That brought it back to 19-10 but time soon ran out for Preseli, as referee Kevin Davies signalled the end of an absorbing 70 minutes.

It meant there was no glorious finale to another strong season from the School’s senior side, but they can take heart from a super cup run in which they again underlined their status as one of the best Under 18 sides in Wales.  

Ysgol Y Preseli: Rhodri George, Alex Varney, Hedd Nicholas, Rhun Phillips, Callum Williams, Jac Davies, Iwan Toft, Math Iorweth Scott, Morgan James, Llewellyn Bevan, Rhydian Howells, Rhydian Thomas, Mathew Roch, Joey Mathias, Jon Hill.

Replacements: Sion Lloyd, Aled Hughes, Sam Davies, Rhodri Thomas, Morgan Williams, Eilir George, Ned Bennett, Hedd James, Steffan Rees, Williams Lloyd.