Rugby Reports April 21st:


Narberth 20-27 Pontypool

Narberth conceded the double over runaway section leaders but not before they had pushed Pontypool all the way and at least had the satisfaction of a bonus point as reward for their collective effort which at least keeps them in contention for the runners-up spot.

The Otters trailed 3-10 at the interval after a pointless first quarter before Bredon Lapitt claimed a Pooler try and Matthew Jones converted to go with a 40th penalty after home kicker Ianto Griffiths notched a penalty in between.

Pontypool also started the second half strongly as Rhodri Jones scored a try which Jones converted but this stung The Otters into a strong response which saw them score excellent tries by centre Kieran Jones and winger Nick Gale, both converted by Griffiths to haul his team level.

The Otters' faithful must have had visions of a surprise win when Gale landed a penalty to put Narberth ahead but Pooler regrouped and had the final say of an entertaining contest with a try by Mark Thorley, converted by Jones, as the visitors completed an unbeaten league season.

Division One West:

Felinfoel 44-39 Crymych

There were points galore at Felinfoel as they edged home against a battling Crymych side which, though disappointed to end its winning streak, at least had the consolation of two bonus points.

But the Preseli Men should have pouched another victory as they deservedly led 22-10 at the interval and added another try soon after the restart - but then allowed Felinfoel back into the game.

For Crymych there were tries by centre Carwyn Phillips (2), hooker Lee Griffiths, winger Lawrence Headlam and a penalty try alongside three conversions and two penalties by centre Jake Jenkins.

But Felinfoel responded with tries by centre Joel Hutchings (2), flanker Connor Ford, second row Jordan Evans, replacements Matthew Moore and Glen Williams as well as a penalty try, plus two conversions and a penalty by No 10 Aled Roberts.

Division Two West:

Loughor 10-63 Whitland

Whitland's powerful march towards a promotion place continued as they made the journey to Loughor and came away with a big win having scored nine tries to their opponents' one, after forging a 49-3 by the interval with some terrific play involving forwards and backs.

Leading the way with a try brace apiece were flying winger Sean Coles and skipper Nico Setaro, who ended up with 28 points as he also landed all nine conversions.

Other tries came from hooker Marc Jones, centre Johnny Thomas, scrum half Tom Parry and Aron Ebsworth - and another pleasing feature was the fact that youth outside half Dan Evans made his senior debut and skipper Nico Setaro was joined on the pitch by his try-scoring younger brother Gino, who also played really well alongside more experienced players like Dai Ebsworth and Jack Mason.

Fishguard & Goodwick 29-34 Mumbles

Fishguard & Goodwick claimed a losing bonus point in their tense tussle against Mumbles at The Moors but knew that with a little more finishing skill might well have secured victory as they were still ahead with five minutes to go.

The Seagulls had two tries from ebullient flanker Chris Shousha alongside a try from Mike Jenkins, who also landed a conversion and four penalties.

But Mumbles ran in four tries by centre Iwan Gully, scrum half Harry Davies, second row Sam Powell and Steff Baker, whilst Steve Bowman saw them home with all four conversions and two penalties.  

Division Three West A:

Laugharne 64-24 Pembroke Dock Harlequins 

Entertainment was certainly the name of the game as home side Laugharne opened up an early 24-0 lead, saw Pembroke Dock Harlequins battle their way back to 24-19 at half time before the homesters piled on the pressure after the interval as Mikey Williams grabbed four tries and Owen Thomas marked his return from injury with a hat-trick.

Williams opened the Laugharne account, followed by Scott Davies and Thomas (2, plus two conversions by Tom Jameson, before the Quins opened their account with a good try by Aaron Cookson which he also converted before full back Liam Hargreaves-Williams sped through for two tries in quick succession, one converted by Cookson.

But although the Quins secured a deserved bonus point with a good corner try from young winger Wil Nicot it was Laugharne who raided the tempo once more so that alongside the seven tries shared by Messrs Williams and Owen Thomas there were others by prop Rhys Thomas and Tom Davies as Jameson ended up with a total of seven conversions as reward for his accurate kicking.

Milford Haven 92-10 Cardigan 

Milford Haven showed their true power in playing against a makeshift Cardigan side as they ran in no fewer than 14 tries whilst restricting the Teifisiders to two second-half tries from Gruff Lewis, one converted by Iwan Jones.

The Mariners were already 52-0 ahead at half time and never relented afterwards as there were try hat-tricks by Dai Sweeny and Lee Riley, plus two apiece for Jamie Lewis and David Round.

Other tries came from Ben Groves and Craig Thomas, whilst Craig Barnett marked his return to action at The Obs with a try and conversion, whilst scrum half Dan McClelland ended up with 25 points from a try and ten conversions.