Welsh Cup Semi-Final: Neyland (107-4) beat Ynysygerwn (106 all out) by 6 wickets

Neyland Cricket Club now have a unique date at Sophia Gardens as they stand one win from becoming the first Pembrokeshire side to win the Welsh Cup final.

They beat Ynysygerwen by 6 wickets at The Athletic Club yesterday, setting up a final with Ammanford on Sunday, September 2nd.

Inevitably, the game had been in doubt right up until Sunday morning after the rain on Saturday - but following some sterling work from ground staff Rob Bellerby, Ian and Ben Milsom – umpires Rhodri Jones and Peter Williams elected for a delayed start and 40 overs per side.

After winning the toss, Neyland skipper and regular keeper Sean Hannon continued his tactic of opening the bowling and handed the gloves to Nick Koomen  - and it paid dividends as he took a sharp return catch to shift Aaron Ace (0).

At the other end Nathan Banner bowled four successive maidens en route to figures of 1-19 in eight overs as he had Gareth Davies caught by Patrick Bellerby (3).

Hannon struck again to remove Adam Bray (4) to leave the visitors 16-3, as he returned 2-21 from his eight overs.

And then as so often, it was Andrew Miller’s slow stuff that did the business as Yuvraj Odeja tried a quick single off his bowling and was run out by Geraint Rees having threatened to turn the tide with 25 (a six and two fours), while Alex McCormack made 18 (three fours) before Miller had him stumped by Hannon, who by now was back behind the stumps.

Miller then shifted Adam and Nathan Davies for ducks - caught by Rees and Bellerby respectively, and Josh Griffiths' counter attack ended when he was run out by Ashley Sutton for 23 (four fours).

No 9 Gavin John made a useful 17 but Nick Koomen and Rees took a wicket each to clean up the tail with Ynysygerwen on a modest 106.

But Neyland's chase got a nervy start as Gregg Miller (2) mistimed a pull shot off Odeja and gave a return catch to the bowler.

But brother Andrew joined opener Koomen and the pair put on what proved a match winning 71 before Miller was caught for 19 by Nathan Davies off Craig Evans.

But Koomen pushed on, racing to 50 (six fours and two sixes) before holing out to Gareth Davies off Evans.

Ashley Sutton (6) then fell to Patrick O’Brien but Nathan Banner and Bellerby finished the job - with the latter hammering a six to complete the win in style.

"I'm absolutely delighted with the result," said Sean Hannon.

"The boys were fantastic, a great team performance. It’s reward for the boys who have given up their Sundays to play in this competition, we haven’t played a home game in the competition since 2015 before yesterday. 

"We have previously gone to Lord's in the indoors and done well in local competitions but this cup run has got to top the lot.

Beating two Premier League teams to make the the final - we now play Ammanford in a one off game. We ran them close a couple of years ago with an understrength side so this one could go either way."

Ynysygerwn Batting:

Gareth Davies ct Patrick Bellerby b Nathan Banner 3

Aaron Ace ct & b Sean Hannon 0

Adam Bray ct Andrew Miller b Sean Hannon 4

Yuvraj Odeja run out 25

Alex McCormack st Sean Hannon b Andrew Miller 18

Josh Griffiths run out 23

Adam Davies ct Geraint Rees b Andrew Miller 0

Nathan Davies ct Patrick Bellerby b Andrew Miller 0

Gavin John b Nick Koomen 17

Craig Evans not out 1

Patrick O’Brien st Sean Hannon b Geraint Rees 1

Extras 14

Total (all out) 106

Neyland Bowling: Sean Hannon 8-1-21-2; Nathan Banner 8-4-19-1; Geraint Rees 7-1-29-1; Andrew Miller 8-2-14-3; Nick Koomen 3-1-10-1; Gary Lloyd 2-0-6-0

 Neyland Batting:

Greg Miller ct & b Yuvraj Odeja 2

Nick Koomen ct Gareth Davies b Craig Evans 50

Andrew Miller ct Nathan Davies b Craig Evans 19

Ashley Sutton ct Gavin John b Patrick O’Brien 6

Nathan Banner not out 8

Patrick Bellerby not out 6

Extras 16

Total (4 wickets) 107

Ynysygerwn Bowling: Yuvraj Odeja 7-1-12-1; Craig Evans 8-2-29-2; Josh Griffiths 4-0-9-0; Gavin John 2-0-5-0; Nathan Davies 1-0-11-0; Patrick O’Brien 5-0-20-1; Gareth Davies 2-0-9-0;  Aaron Ace 0.1-0-6-0

 Umpires: Rhodri Jones (Neath) and Peter Williams (Aberdare).

Scorers: John Laugharne (Neyland) and Howard Bowden (Ynysygerwn).