West Wales Intermediate Cup Round 4: Hakin United 3-2 St Josephs (after extra time)

Justin Harding grabbed a dramatic 118th minute extra time winner to secure Hakin United victory over St Josephs and reach the West Wales Intermediate Cup quarter finals.

The cup tie was level at 2-2 after 90 minutes as the Vikings pressed hard against the Swansea League Division One outfit, and both sides were looking to win it in the extra time period before the dreaded penalty shootout.

With only two minutes remaining a ball bobbled in the St Josephs box, and the lively Harding reacted quickest to get his shot away and give his side a hard fought victory.

In the first half, the Vikings fashioned some decent scoring chances that Nicky Woodrow, Shane Walsh, Alex Ouzman and Harding all squandered.
Vikings’ goalkeeper James Manson pulled off a string of good saves to deny the visitors in an end to end battle.

Ten minutes after the break and the visitors broke the deadlock. Vikings defender Jimmy Walker got the wrong side of his man and when the ball was squared, striker Jack Price buried his low 20 yard effort into the bottom corner.

This goal rocked the Vikings, but to their full credit Kristan Bennett’s men equalised five minutes later with a well worked goal. Midfielder Craig Nicholson played it out wide to Mark Jones, and the latter’s penetrative run and pinpoint cross in the box was met by a thumping header from Walsh.

This goal inspired the Vikings, and gave them self-belief and the home crowd didn’t have too wait long before they took the lead with a stunning goal.

Substitute Camron Thomas’ assist fell kindly to Harding who hammered a 30 yard volley into the roof of the net to send the Hakin faithful crazy.

But the Swansea League outfit hit back with an equaliser to force an extra 30 minutes. A floated free-kick in the box wasn’t dealt with and Ricky Kerr scored with a clinical close range finish as the gripping tie was forced into extra time.

The Vikings thought they had grabbed a vital third goal as Woodrow’s firm header canonned off the foot of the post in the first period.

As time was running out and penalties looked on the cards, up popped match winner Harding to get the vital scoring touch and set up a last eight meeting with holders Goodwick United at the Obs.

Hakin United: James Manson, Jimmy Walker, Ewan Findlay, Daniel Armstrong, Leigh Marchant, Alex Ouzman, Shane Walsh, Craig Nicholson, Mark Jones, Justin Harding, Nicky Woodrow. Subs: Camron Thomas, Tom Evans, James Truman, Stuart MacDonald.